PDA

View Full Version : Cerakoting mags

DLButler
06-06-2014, 05:34 AM
Has anyone tried to cerakote their mags to be all black? I was just surfing around and found an article on cerakote and the idea popped into my head. It should be thin enough to not hinder extraction.

DLButler
06-06-2014, 05:04 PM
No one has tried it or has an opinion?

gb6491
06-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Has anyone tried to cerakote their mags to be all black? I was just surfing around and found an article on cerakote and the idea popped into my head. It should be thin enough to not hinder extraction.
That's probably dependent upon how tightly the mags fit prior to the Cerakote, but I tend to agree with your assessment. I've seen some AR magazines with Cerakote on them and they worked just fine.

We did have a member here that had his mags done in Cera-Hide (a similar heat cured, resin finish) and he seemed pleased with them;
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11224

TucsonMTB went another direction to blacken his magazines:
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7995

Regards,
Greg

muggsy
06-07-2014, 04:53 AM
Every time an idea pops into my head it usually costs me money. I try to avoid popping ideas. My theory is that the gun works just fine with the mags provided. Since it's a concealed carry gun only the perp and I will ever see it. Personally, I don't give a damn what the perp thinks of it. :)

DLButler
06-07-2014, 05:59 AM
Thanks, Greg, those links were helpful. I will have to compare prices to having the cerakote done.

b4uqzme
06-07-2014, 07:49 AM
Every time an idea pops into my head it usually costs me money. I try to avoid popping ideas. My theory is that the gun works just fine with the mags provided. Since it's a concealed carry gun only the perp and I will ever see it. Personally, I don't give a damn what the perp thinks of it. :)

To muggsy's point, I'm looking into cerakoting my Glock's bullets flat black. The BG doesn't need them shiny.

You know I'm just kidding. I don't have a Glock! :rolleyes:

Somebody musta reset my sarcasm smiley....she's working fine now. ;) Thanks!

xsailer
06-08-2014, 09:18 PM
I asked how thick the coating was and the applicator guy said it was less than .001 thick. So, I wouldn't think this would cause a problem