PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Dan Wesson CBOB Facelift

TucsonMTB
06-15-2014, 11:04 PM
This 2006 Vintage Dan Wesson CBOB purchased used, has been one of my favorite range toys for many years, and is starting to show its age.

So, when I recently bought a $5 sand blaster and $8 worth of glass beads from Harbor Freight the CBOB started worrying, with good reason. :o

The first test with glass beads produced an overly bright finish without removing the some of the handling marks. $7 worth of pool filter sand from Home Deport turned out to be the missing part of the equation.

So far, I have only worked on the slide. I'm about due for a full tear down at which time the blasted parts of the frame will also get refreshed.

http://viewsfromtucson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Top-View.jpg

Nice clean looking top view, eh? Where did all those holster and handling marks go!? :cool:

http://viewsfromtucson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Bottom-View.jpg

The bottom view shows the contrast between the fairly coarse original blasted finish on the frame and the new slightly smoother finish on the slide. Sand blasting, followed by glass beads produces a finish very similar to what Kimber provides on their stainless models. In my experience, they don't scratch or show holster wear easily. Here's hoping the CBOB will be similarly blessed.

http://viewsfromtucson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Front-Sight.jpg

The Champion brand front sight (now re-branded as "Kensight") is beautifully fitted and looks like it would be hard to remove. Nope! It is held in with a pin, pictured here, and the pin is easy to drive out because it is NOT a blind pin. The sight itself is hand tight in the dovetail. The rear sight was also easy to remove, held in by a set screw and NO Loc-tite. Life is good!

I love the build quality on this 1911! Once it is finished, I may have to spring for a new set of night sights. :rolleyes:

TussonMTB . . . who might be cheap

gb6491
06-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Nice work sir! I think you've developed an excellent texture there on the slide
I look forward to seeing the completed project.

I love it when a plan comes together:)
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
06-16-2014, 09:53 AM
That's probably the only thing I don't absolutely love about my Cbob is the course texture which as you mention hangs on leather and makes it rather unsightly. I carry it everyday so it gets drug in and out of the holster a few times a day.

A detective here recently bought the blaster setup from Harbor Freight as well and with some spiritual guidance from Greg he got his new Colt Rail gun that he carries for work to match his Kimber's finish. He's big on having multiple guns set up exactly the same. Same finish, same controls etc.

I inquired if he'd be willing to blast my Cbob and he refused. He did say he'd bring me all the stuff so I could do it myself.

Still building up my nerve. Might like it and then who knows. Might sandblast the house and the van and who knows what.

You done real good. Might just be the incentive I need to push me over the edge.

Bawanna
06-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Did you put an extended mag release on that. Looks like it's sticking out further than usual. May be picture angle.

TucsonMTB
06-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Nice work sir! I think you've developed an excellent texture there on the slide
I look forward to seeing the completed project.

I love it when a plan comes together:)
Regards,
Greg
Thanks, Greg! It is worth noting that your many refinishing projects, including your lovely parkerizing, are part of my inspiration. I hope to do the frame today. I plan to wait for the cool evening and will march right into the shower when I am finished. :o

That's probably the only thing I don't absolutely love about my Cbob is the course texture which as you mention hangs on leather and makes it rather unsightly. I carry it everyday so it gets drug in and out of the holster a few times a day.

A detective here recently bought the blaster setup from Harbor Freight as well and with some spiritual guidance from Greg he got his new Colt Rail gun that he carries for work to match his Kimber's finish. He's big on having multiple guns set up exactly the same. Same finish, same controls etc.

I inquired if he'd be willing to blast my Cbob and he refused. He did say he'd bring me all the stuff so I could do it myself.

Still building up my nerve. Might like it and then who knows. Might sandblast the house and the van and who knows what.

You done real good. Might just be the incentive I need to push me over the edge.
Go for it! Like Greg, you understand the attention to detail necessary for success.

I can't say that I blame your detective for ducking. Preparation is time consuming and worrisome. Gotta' protect those polished flats, but don't want to miss any blasted surfaces either. I was surprised and tickled that the sights are so easy to remove, especially the pinned front. Then there is the concern about achieving an even texture everywhere . . . :rolleyes:

As a matter of fact, it would be hard to trust anyone else, except Greg, to do the work. Yeah, the big dollar shops can certainly be trusted. But, I am poor and would miss my CBOB during the weeks or months that would almost certainly entail.

Did you put an extended mag release on that. Looks like it's sticking out further than usual. May be picture angle.
Yep! Ed Brown part along with his bushing.

Good eyes, sir!

TucsonMTB
06-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Complete. This seems like a good time to take a picture or two before we scratch it up again. :rolleyes:

http://viewsfromtucson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Top-View-Finished.jpg

http://viewsfromtucson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Left-Side-Finished-Web.jpg

http://viewsfromtucson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Right-Side-Finished-Web.jpg

Bawanna
06-16-2014, 07:01 PM
I like it. Looks like you left it just a bit course on the front there?

TucsonMTB
06-16-2014, 07:41 PM
I like it. Looks like you left it just a bit course on the front there?
Good eyes, sir! That was not entirely planned. I believe it will smooth out with a little more glass bead blasting, which will be easy to do. Either that, or I will have to sand it down, sand blast lightly, and then perform one last bead blast. Whatever. It will get dealt with fairly soon.

Now you know why your detective friend declined doing yours.

Still, not too bad for a first time with a total investment, not counting the compressor which has other uses, of $27, including shipping. For the moment, we will just shoot it a bunch and see how it stands up to handling and holsters.

BEARDOG
06-16-2014, 07:49 PM
Looks really good Tucson!
Too bad you had to put so much money into tools to refinish it. LOL

Bawanna
06-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Looking again I think its more shadow than texture. The one shot it looks the same as the rest of the frame.

I'd like to do the same. Might have to save up the 27 bucks and go for it.

TucsonMTB
06-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Looking again I think its more shadow than texture. The one shot it looks the same as the rest of the frame.

I'd like to do the same. Might have to save up the 27 bucks and go for it.
In person, I can see the difference. But, yes, it is subtle and SWMBO didn't notice. She is my QC Queen . . .

Let me know if you want the links to the $5 blaster and $8 worth of glass beads. A little sifting and you could have your own sand. I was splurging at Home Depot. :o

Looks really good Tucson!
Too bad you had to put so much money into tools to refinish it. LOL
Thank you, sir! Sometimes, it is fun being cheap. Admittedly, I am not really good at it, as a rule.

Rotorflyr
06-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Tucson,
That looks horrible, completely ruined in fact...But being the super nice guy I am, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for $25 above the cost of materials that you used when you ruined it AND I'll toss in another $100 PLUS pay for the shipping! :D

Bawanna
06-17-2014, 03:54 PM
I sure hope ole Tucson's keyboard don't melt down in his haste to respond and accept a fine wonderful offer like that.

Not every day you can completely ruin something and have somebody offer you money for doin it.

I'm tempted to accept the offer in his behalf before you withdraw the offer but I'm just not gonna do it. Might be missing something ya know.

Bawanna
06-17-2014, 03:56 PM
Wish I could afford a pickup load of the various colors of that wood. Pretty amazing stuff and seems to wear well.

TucsonMTB
06-17-2014, 04:32 PM
Wish I could afford a pickup load of the various colors of that wood. Pretty amazing stuff and seems to wear well.
Yeah, in response to a similar post on our local general gun board and the pure 1911 forum (bragging is fun), there were a couple of inquires about the grips. I responded by providing your Emporium link: http://bawanna45.wix.com/bawannas-grip-emporium#

I sure hope ole Tucson's keyboard don't melt down in his haste to respond and accept a fine wonderful offer like that.

Not every day you can completely ruin something and have somebody offer you money for doin it.

I'm tempted to accept the offer in his behalf before you withdraw the offer but I'm just not gonna do it. Might be missing something ya know.
I have a friend who would always respond, "I will take that under advisement" and then he never go back to anybody. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Glad you were here to cover home base! I missed that message while over at the Pima Pistol Club range for our usual weekly Garand shooting session.

Seemed like a good chance to put a box of .45 ACP through the CBOB, just to make sure the sights are back in the right place. They are.

Can you say, "One ragged hole where once there was a 2" bullseye sticker"? :D

Tucson,
That looks horrible, completely ruined in fact...But being the super nice guy I am, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for $25 above the cost of materials that you used when you ruined it AND I'll toss in another $100 PLUS pay for the shipping!
Gosh, I don't know what to say . . . never was any good at selling guns. :o

Blackhawk83
08-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Congrats on a sweet pistol one of my personal favorites and a quality refinish

TucsonMTB
08-03-2014, 09:46 PM
Congrats on a sweet pistol one of my personal favorites and a quality refinish
Thank you, sir!

That Dan Wesson Classic Commander Bobtail is the only really nice 1911 we own. So, I am grateful it is stainless and can be maintained so easily.

Admittedly, we also have a couple of more ordinary, stainless Kimbers with a similar finish that were the inspiration for the sand blast followed by bead blast finishing technique.

You can see the finish similarity in this view of the larger Kimber that has withstood a lot of use with no visible wear.

http://home.mindspring.com/~justsomeguy/BoxElderGrips.JPG

http://viewsfromtucson.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Right-Side-Finished-Web.jpg

Like the Kimber finish, the new finish on the Dan Wesson is holding up very well. It is certainly less prone to handling marks than the original blast finish on the round sections.

Oh, and the blaster is under $7 at this link: http://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blast-gun-with-bag-96972.html

Coincidentally, the glass media I use is also $7 at this link: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lbs-4070-grit-ground-glass-media-60563.html It says "ground glass", but the container I received contains glass beads.

Life is good! :D

yqtszhj
08-04-2014, 10:43 AM
In person, I can see the difference. But, yes, it is subtle and SWMBO didn't notice. She is my QC Queen . . .

Let me know if you want the links to the $5 blaster and $8 worth of glass beads. A little sifting and you could have your own sand. I was splurging at Home Depot. :o

Thank you, sir! Sometimes, it is fun being cheap. Admittedly, I am not really good at it, as a rule.

If you've got some links to what you bought I'd be interested.

Darn it, that means the next worn looking pistol I can find I'll be bringing home too.

TucsonMTB
08-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Darn it, that means the next worn looking pistol I can find I'll be bringing home too.
It's a cross all of us who like nice looking, older guns must bear. ;)

If you've got some links to what you bought I'd be interested.
I added the links I should have included to the previous post. Oddly enough, the Harbor Freight prices went down!

yqtszhj
08-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the links.

muggsy
08-05-2014, 05:52 AM
I'm sorry, but there is nothing prettier than a 1911. Not even Jocko's custom Harley. There, I've said it, with no apologies to you Kahr fans. :)

Bawanna
08-05-2014, 08:52 AM
^^^ precisely what he said.^^^^

Alfonse
08-05-2014, 09:22 AM
I haven't bought a pistol in quite awhile. I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. Somehow I have a want for a CBOB now. If I don't look at this thread again, maybe it will go away.

Bawanna
08-05-2014, 09:41 AM
For some reason I thought you had a Cbob Alfonse? Wonder where that thought came from.

I'll start searching, everyone should have a Cbob. Trust me I'll do all I can so that this want just doesn't go away.
Least I can do for ya, ya know?

Southerngunner
08-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Here is some pics of my C-Bob

Alfonse
08-05-2014, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=Southerngunner;312320]Here is some pics of my C-Bob
11419/QUOTE]

I am a glutton for punishment here. I open this thread again and here are more photos of CBOBS. Sigh. I've looked at CBOBs but never quite gotten there. I think I might have the opportunity to shoot one this weekend. Looking forward to that.

Southerngunner
08-07-2014, 02:54 PM
[QUOTE=Southerngunner;312320]Here is some pics of my C-Bob
11419/QUOTE]

I am a glutton for punishment here. I open this thread again and here are more photos of CBOBS. Sigh. I've looked at CBOBs but never quite gotten there. I think I might have the opportunity to shoot one this weekend. Looking forward to that.

Unless you know where one is for sale Do Not shoot it because that's when the real obsession sets in:boink: and you will turn into a pumpkin if you cant get one within 48 hours:biggrin1:
Seriously though I've been messing with 1911's for 40 plus years and this is the finest Factory pistol that I own . The first one that I saw in a gun store was mine the same day, No Regretts
Good luck

Bawanna
08-07-2014, 03:06 PM
I had to leave the first one I saw behind, could have had it for about 800 bucks. I had to pay alot more for the second but it wasn't getting away no way, no how.

You just don't see them often anymore. I always find this stuff right after the huge price increase hits.
CZ sadly figured out they were worth a lot more than they were selling them for. Doubled in price virtually overnight. Oh well I got mine and I'm gonna find one for Alfonse so no worries.