PDA

View Full Version : Shot a PPQ today

Alfonse
06-22-2014, 08:31 PM
A friend of mine had a brand new Walther PPQ that we put a few hundred rounds through today. That is a sweet pistol and I found myself really liking the trigger. It is sort of a two-stage trigger, with some pre-travel and a crisp break.

It was very predictable. The reset is also very short. He did have one bump fire round with it. He also had three FTFs with it, although I had none.

I accidentally released the magazine after the second or third round I shot. I looked at what I was doing and readjusted my grip a bit and didn't have any more problem with it.

I had my CZ SP01 with us too. That trigger had been gone through and it is really nice, with the CGW hammer, pin, disco, springs, etc.

The PPQ trigger was pretty comparable out of the box as far as being able to shoot it accurately. They are different, the CZ doesn't stage, but is very light and smooth. I could actually predict the firing of the PPQ a bit better.

A nice day at the range, it had been too long.

DeaconKC
06-23-2014, 07:17 AM
Sounds like a really nice range trip! Congrats!

JohnR
06-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Bump fire sounds like bad news.

Alfonse
06-23-2014, 01:41 PM
JohnR, I don't think he had a good grip on the pistol, a likely reason for the FTFs as well. Certainly a bump fire could be bad news. I didn't find the trigger anymore touchy than a single action trigger. The first round had a long travel too. Latter rounds could be shot with a much shorter travel since the trigger resets with a much smaller movement.

I thought it was a very nice pistol, but I don't need one either. :)

JohnR
06-23-2014, 03:32 PM
By bump fire, do you mean it fired by bumping it without touching the trigger?

If so, that pistol is a death trap. There's something wrong with it that'll get someone killed.

addictedhealer
06-23-2014, 04:02 PM
CZ>PPQ. The PPQs are so damn ugly. :]

b4uqzme
06-23-2014, 05:22 PM
cz>ppq. The ppqs are so damn ugly. :]

^^^ +1 :d

Alfonse
06-24-2014, 05:18 PM
By bump fire, do you mean it fired by bumping it without touching the trigger?

If so, that pistol is a death trap. There's something wrong with it that'll get someone killed.

No, I mean if fired a second round because the gun moved against his finger, which was on the trigger as the pistol bounced back in his hand from his too loose grip.

Alfonse
06-24-2014, 05:19 PM
^^^ +1 :d

The CZ is gorgeous in comparison.

Bawanna
06-24-2014, 05:41 PM
Seems like AIRret had one of those that had to get looked at for shooting a couple 3 times with one trigger pull. I don't recall the details.

They say if you do it right you can bumpfire just about anything. AR's and Thompsons. I never could get the hang of it myself.

Barth
06-24-2014, 05:59 PM
I had a 3.5 short reset Ghost Rocket connector put in my Glock G27.
The reset was so short I had some unintended double taps.
Ended up switching to an OEM Glock '-' connector and added a heavier NY1 spring module.

Do have SRT kits installed in my Sig P220 45 and P239 357 Sig guns without issues.

My HK LEM triggers run light from 4.5 to 3.9 lbs.
But the reset isn't crazy short.

I don't normally favor a super short reset on a carry gun.
But that's just me.

ripley16
06-25-2014, 03:41 AM
Seems like AIRret had one of those that had to get looked at for shooting a couple 3 times with one trigger pull. I don't recall the details.

I've inadvertently double tapped my PPQ. The reset on this pistol is very short and the remaining trigger pull is very light. If you are shooting from reset with a PPQ this is bound to happen. If you shoot using a full stroke, the pull is less prone to this. I wouldn't call it a safety issue, but if you shoot this gun, you are going have rounds go in unintended directions - hopefully on target.

Much as I like the PPQ, this is one reason I'd prefer the similar HK P30. I'm hoping the new HK VP9, reputed to have a great trigger, "better than the PPQ", isn't as susceptible to the same mishap.

berettabone
06-25-2014, 09:07 AM
I got rid of a P99 partly for that reason. My Sig has the SRT system and it is a great trigger. My Beretta feels a lot like it, in single action. Not a real good idea IMO to carry such a touchy trigger. Listen up all you Glock lovers!;)

Alfonse
06-25-2014, 08:22 PM
My CZ 75b's have hammers, springs and triggers that give them a short reset and a light pull, particularly in single action. The double action is longer and stiffer. I don't carry them, but probably would if I had other pistols out of commission for some reason. I just haven't had that kind of issue with them. It might be because they are big, heavy, steel things that they are easy to control. That's another reason, the big and heavy anyway, I don't carry them. I might use them as a home defense pistol though if the need arose.

As a range gun, the PPQ was pretty easy to hit a target with and it is very light. I expect Walther would like it to be a duty gun option. I have no need for a duty gun. As for me, I have enough 9mm pistols for the time being anyway. Maybe if I try an HK sometime, I might need something more...

marcinstl
07-15-2014, 12:02 PM
shot a PPQ at the range today. Walther should rename this gun, the "WT" for Wild Thang. what a trigger, yikes! so I get pointed at the target and start squeezing the trigger, not much take up, no creep or sand, a little wall and bang. reset is right there and bang. for a young shooter who trains a lot, this is a gun to look at. for an old guy like me, I had a couple of bang bangs. old and a little slow and clumsy, hmmm, semi negligent double tap? is that what you'd call it? I'm sure glad the cops in this country don't carry PPQ's. STL city cops carry DA only Beretta's.

JohnR
07-15-2014, 01:45 PM
shot a PPQ at the range today. Walther should rename this gun, the "WT" for Wild Thang. what a trigger, yikes! so I get pointed at the target and start squeezing the trigger, not much take up, no creep or sand, a little wall and bang. reset is right there and bang. for a young shooter who trains a lot, this is a gun to look at. for an old guy like me, I had a couple of bang bangs. old and a little slow and clumsy, hmmm, semi negligent double tap? is that what you'd call it? I'm sure glad the cops in this country don't carry PPQ's. STL city cops carry DA only Beretta's.
LOL, you asked me about the Bersa's trigger - sounds like the PPQ's. I didn't care for the feel of Walther's in dry firing, never tried one "for real." Bersa's felt more solid and smoother. It takes a little getting used to, but when you do I think it's quite awesome.

marcinstl
07-16-2014, 07:29 AM
you get good with that Bersa BP9cc, change your name to MachineGunJohn. your ammo bill is going way up, hehehehehe. maybe I should be shopping for a 3" barrel, .45acp(or .45LC), SA revolver. I could do that if they'd let me carry it in a proper holster. you know, going for that senior cowboy look.