PDA

View Full Version : New PM9 break-in. Shooting=Pain

Scoobypup
06-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Hey all. Just got me a brand new PM9 and finally got the time to take her to the range to do the prescribed break-in.
Unfortunately, I had to leave early due to... big hand syndrome?
When I grip/fire the PM9, the safety sits right on my thumb knuckle. Firing causes the metal safety lever to rub said knuckle. After only 100 rnds, I had broken the skin to the point where blood flow was imminent so had to stop. The discomfort was obvious after the first mag though.
Has anyone else had any issues with the safety? I'd rather just take it off if possible as I never intend to have a safety engaged on a self-defense firearm.
I did try holding it differently, but it either didn't work or didn't feel solid in my hands while shooting.
The checkering is also pretty dang aggressive. I think I might put one of those rubber covers on too.
Overall, I think it's a pretty neat little pistol but if I can't fix the safety issue then I'm going to have to find something else that fits better.

Surlyman
06-25-2014, 01:29 AM
Removing a factory safety device can put a person in legal hot water if they were to use their firearm in self defense. If you live in a state that doesn't require a manual safety I would sell the one with the safety and find one without. Or if I had to have a manual safety, I suppose a guy could "melt" or smooth the bottom edge of the safety similar to what many do to the slide stop.

I didn't find the texturing all too aggressive however I did add one of the Hogue Jr slip on grips to fill my hands, also taming the checkering quite a bit. For 6-8 bucks I don't think one can go wrong. Folks also use a 1.75 bike tube for a cheap slip on grip.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

b4uqzme
06-25-2014, 03:35 AM
Welcome!

The bike tube grip is a good solution for many folks. It probably depends upon whether or not you also want a thicker grip.

I had a similar first experience with the Kahr slide stop...rubbing my thumb and occasionally engaging the stop. It took some practice but I modified my grip. My strong hand thumb now rests comfortably on top of the other thumb knuckle and does not touch the pistol at all. Strong hand grips the pistol fore and aft and the weak hand grips side to side. Try that and see if it fixes your safety issue.

I take it you can't trade it in for the non-safety model? :o

Bill K
06-25-2014, 04:35 AM
Welcome to the forum!

That really sucks. I guess in the worst case you could wear a band-aid on the thumb for when you practice/train. In a SD situation your not likely to fire very many shots and not likely to feel sny of the safety rubbing your thumb. Ideal course of action as already noted is to get a PM9 sans safety if that is legal for you. Good luck!

jocko
06-25-2014, 05:47 AM
try changing ur grip a tad... U can adjust to it---if u realy want tyo do it. U won't find a better sub 9 on the market, let alone as small and as lite. Just sayin

wyntrout
06-25-2014, 10:09 AM
I hold my gun hand thumb down with my support hand's thumb to keep it clear of the slide release lever. I can't imagine how you're holding the pistol to get your thumb joint near that safety as highly as it's placed.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/overlappedthumbsgrip.jpg

I would buy a PM9 without the danged safety... don't need or have any on my defensive pistols... just my Ruger MKIII 22/45... and I did disable the magazine safety on it when I installed the Majestic Trigger Kit.

Wynn:)

jocko
06-25-2014, 10:52 AM
damn that is one sexy lady, I just love to see that photo posted about once a week.

gb6491
06-25-2014, 12:10 PM
I hold my gun hand thumb down with my support hand's thumb to keep it clear of the slide release lever. I can't imagine how you're holding the pistol to get your thumb joint near that safety as highly as it's placed.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/overlappedthumbsgrip.jpg

I would buy a PM9 without the danged safety... don't need or have any on my defensive pistols... just my Ruger MKIII 22/45... and I did disable the magazine safety on it when I installed the Majestic Trigger Kit.

Wynn:)
We had a gent post about getting his thumb chewed up by the safety a couple years back. His photos are gone now, but still viewable on a Google search:
http://i61.tinypic.com/2e58dmo.jpg
While I'd not discount the safety's serrations, I'm inclined to think that the leading/bottom edge of the safety is doing that kind of damage.
http://i62.tinypic.com/2ms11k2.jpg
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
06-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Looks like a little safety lever melt down would help immensely. A little smoothing and radiusing would go along way to helping the victim thumb.

jocko
06-25-2014, 01:16 PM
just cut that red spot off the thumb and test it out. that way u do't ruin a good safety. The skin will grow back. Not sure how easy it is to get that safety out of the frame, never heard of anyone doin that so we might learn sumpin here--maybe..

Looks like he has more thumb than most of us so some grindig off of that skin wuld be like modifying the magazine followers. Just keep grinding off until the issue stops. Just sayin. A dremel with a #5 drum sander willd o the job and look really professiona. Just sayin

Scoobypup
06-25-2014, 11:44 PM
That pic is exactly the issue I'm having. I thought of seeing if I could grind down the safety lever a bit, but the rollpin holding it on goes right through the part I'd be working on.
I'd hate to ruin it.
Guess I'll have to sell it and see about getting the older model. :(

RRP
06-26-2014, 02:30 AM
Guess I'll have to sell it and see about getting the older model. :(

There's no need to buy an older model, if you want a PM9 without an external safety. They are still in production. See link, below.

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9.asp

The PM9 you purchased has an external safety and a loaded chamber indicator to comply with strict regulations of a few states. The standard model does not have an external safety.

340pd
06-26-2014, 07:58 AM
Before you grind on your safety and alter your gun permanently, I have had success with some students by just having them move their right thumb slightly over so it lays a bit more on top of the support hand thumb. This is also works when the shooters thumb position is preventing the slide release from locking the slide back on the last round.

Scoobypup
06-26-2014, 12:40 PM
I'll give that a try once my thumb heals a bit. I'll also get the rubber grip cover to see if that helps with my holding method. Any suggestions on a good one? I'm not down for the inner tube version.

Before you grind on your safety and alter your gun permanently, I have had success with some students by just having them move their right thumb slightly over so it lays a bit more on top of the support hand thumb. This is also works when the shooters thumb position is preventing the slide release from locking the slide back on the last round.

Bawanna
06-26-2014, 12:49 PM
My personal favorite is the Qwik Grip. I don't recall which size and I think they might not be in production for awhile but heard they are available from suppliers.

I don't own one myself but based on photos they look the best of all of them that I have seen.

DavidR
06-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Pachmayr also makes a grip sleeve for the CM9.