PDA

View Full Version : Hoppes #9

carguy79
06-13-2010, 09:15 AM
I just picked up my PM 9 a few days ago black slide with night sights and have yet to clean it. I am wondering if anyone out there still uses Hoppes #9 for cleaning and Hoppes Oil for lube. I like things that are tried and true and this is what i grew up using and I continue to use it on all my rifles and other handguns as well. Nothing like the smell of Hoppes in the morning. Also is using the aerosol can of cleaner to blow out the clean out hole for the firing pin really necessary for the first time??? I am anxious to go shoot but want to make sure I clean and properly prep first. I will be following the proper prepping of a new kahr post minus using the dremel and also the lube points diagram. Any help would be appreciated. I think I am going to have to get some more kahrs now that I have one.:D

ripley16
06-13-2010, 09:36 AM
I still use Hoppes #9, pretty much as my main cleaner. It works. I have a shelf full of cleaners that I've tried and can't point to any one that does something extra special. I've fallen off using the oil though as I primarily use Militec and TW25b now.

After a field strip, wipe down and lube your new PM9 is ready to shoot, nothing extra needed... have fun.

jocko
06-13-2010, 10:26 AM
agree #9 is still my go to solvent. probably some other good ones out there also but I feel #9 has proven itself... I don't use Hoppes oil, just because...

Bawanna
06-13-2010, 10:28 AM
I still use Hoppes #9, pretty much as my main cleaner. It works. I have a shelf full of cleaners that I've tried and can't point to any one that does something extra special. I've fallen off using the oil though as I primarily use Militec and TW25b now.

After a field strip, wipe down and lube your new PM9 is ready to shoot, nothing extra needed... have fun.

Ditto that here. Tried and true hits the mark, it worked way back when, it'll work just fine now too.
I'm plan to try the TW25b oil as I've heard good stuff about it but I also believe oil is oil, long as you get it applied often enough and in the right places, there's now worries.

I suspect not cleaning that striker channel would not be a horrible thing but some even new guns have had debree in there and it only takes a couple seconds to blow the stuff out. My recent PM45, I took down just to see for myself what if anything was left from the manufacturing process, it was pristene with no debree at all, other apparently have alot.
Your call.

Moto_joe
06-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Either gun scrubber, electronic parts cleaner, or WD40 in a pinch for prelim cleaning.
Bore brush
Hoppes #9 as a bore solvent and I also wipe down the inside dirty areas with the used wet patches.
Dry patch the bore.
Qtips for places I cant reach. with solvent on them
Rem oil for where I want to oil
Hoppes Gun Grease for where I want grease

Done :D

carguy79
06-13-2010, 11:55 AM
All I have right now is the Hoppes stuff. I will swing by a store or two while I am out and see about the gun grease. I have printed the lube chart, where do you guys use the grease??

jocko
06-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Mil-comm.com order their TW25 grease in the syringe appicator, dynamite stuff, u can run a small line of their grease right down inside the slide rails with no mess at all. Good stuff, won't run in your pocket either, nor dry out. My favoriate as u can see.

Mil-comm.com

jlottmc
06-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Hoppes' is the go to cleaner in my circles. No worries with it. As a rule, grease goes where it should stay, and oil/lube go where they need to move around. Thank you Bawanna... Welcome, and don't hesitate to ask, or add.

Moto_joe
06-13-2010, 01:46 PM
I use grease on the barrel lug and on the frame rails.

Use oil on the barrel hood, recoil guide rod, extractor, and generally wipe down all metal parts with it, then rub it back off the exterior parts.

just off the top of my head.. I do it so often now I dont really think about exactly what I am doing LOL

carguy79
06-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Excellent!! Thanks guys. I went to the store earlier and Hoppes gun grease is only to be used for preventing rust on stored firearms. As a general lifestyle none of my firearms get "stored" they are all shot and carried or fondled on a regular basis. Jocko I made my order for 2 syringes of the TW25b just now. Waiting sucks!!! I cant wait to shoot my pm9 and start carrying it everyday when i need something smaller due to clothing. Jocko I also went with your recommendation on the 3M brake clean from napa instead of the expensive gunscrubber. Great deal at only $2.14 total for a can!!!

Thanks again!

jocko
06-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Excellent!! Thanks guys. I went to the store earlier and Hoppes gun grease is only to be used for preventing rust on stored firearms. As a general lifestyle none of my firearms get "stored" they are all shot and carried or fondled on a regular basis. Jocko I made my order for 2 syringes of the TW25b just now. Waiting sucks!!! I cant wait to shoot my pm9 and start carrying it everyday when i need something smaller due to clothing. Jocko I also went with your recommendation on the 3M brake clean from napa instead of the expensive gunscrubber. Great deal at only $2.14 total for a can!!!

Thanks again!

that 3M stuff is awesome, and IMO the most powerful spray cleaner I have ever used. It will get places clean tha tyou couldnever reach otherwise. Wise decision on the two tubes of TW25 to. I just run a thin line down the inside of each of my slide rails, that way I know it is lubing the back part of the slide frame at the same time. I do follow the kahr lub chart very closely though, with all my semi's. I think it is the best lub chart I have ever seen. The TW25 just doesn't run, so it should not stain your cloths if you pocket carry and a little bit goes a very long way. IMO the PM9 is just the ultimate ccw gun, course I am prejudice to....:third:

Bawanna
06-13-2010, 04:51 PM
that 3M stuff is awesome, and IMO the most powerful spray cleaner I have ever used. It will get places clean tha tyou couldnever reach otherwise. Wise decision on the two tubes of TW25 to. I just run a thin line down the inside of each of my slide rails, that way I know it is lubing the back part of the slide frame at the same time. I do follow the kahr lub chart very closely though, with all my semi's. I think it is the best lub chart I have ever seen. The TW25 just doesn't run, so it should not stain your cloths if you pocket carry and a little bit goes a very long way. IMO the PM9 is just the ultimate ccw gun, course I am prejudice to....:third:

I finally put an order in for some of that TW25 myself and I was overjoyed to discover that Brownells now sells Du Lite Kwik Seal. I absolutely love the stuff but could not find it anyplace other than case quantity. This is the stuff that many of the manufacturers put on their guns when they leave the factory not knowing how long they will be on a dealer shelf. I use it on everything, especially if it's gonna be stored or a safe queen. Brownells sells the TW25 in an indvidual tube, thought I'd always seen it in pairs before. Hope I got the right stuff. We'll see in a few days.

Michael W.
06-13-2010, 09:56 PM
I was (still am occasionally) a Hoppe's #9 guy simply
because it was an inexpensive and ubiquitous solvent that you could buy
at any Walmart or Sports Authority (back in the day, not so
much anymore).

I used to like the smell of Hoppe's #9 as it always brought
back fond memories of a day at the range and shooting with my
brother-in-law and hanging out cleaning our guns afterwards.
I'm sure I am not the only one that has Hoppe's smell triggered
memories, it's such an icon of the American shooting experience.

My pine workbench where I clean my guns has been soaked with
many years of Hoppes solvent.

Lately, however, I've grown to dislike the strong smell
of Hoppe's #9 and my skin has developed some sort
of allergy to it and it burns my fingers. Perhaps over exposure
to the acetone in it? Not sure....but I've moved over to using
RemOil as a solvent/cleaner.

When I clean my guns, I field strip then take a can of RemOil
with the straw and spray everything down liberally including the
bore, slide and frame inside and out. I let the barrel and slide soak
a while and work a toothbrush over the frame of the gun and
carefully wipe out with a clean rag. I used disposable shop rags that
are dispensed out of a box like a Kleenex and they work great
and are cost effective. then I work the brush on the slide and
components. If the breechface looks like it's getting a lot of
carbon build up I'll run a "Lead-Away" patch on it to clean it up.
Same with any other carbon deposits on stainless guns, such as
the breach and cylinder face of my SP101 or GP100. Lead Away
is awesome stuff. The I'll run a couple of clean patches down the bore
that's been soaking in RemOil. Most times its all thats needed.
Once in a while I'll need to run a brush through and if there's heavier
deposits I'll either run a patch with Bore Paste or run a Lead Away patch.

This cleans everything up and leaves a light coat of teflon on everything
even after I dry it all off. Then oil and grease.

The resulting smell left on the guns is not nearly as strong
as using Hoppe's and my pocket carry guns don't make
my clothes smell like Hoppe's as well.

I've been working on the same tube of Tetra grease for years now
and I think I'm finally getting to the end of it. I've heard so many
good things about Milcomm and TW25 I may have to give it a try
next.

Michael-

ripley16
06-14-2010, 04:38 AM
Another product that, like Hoppe's, has been around "forever" is Balistol and it shouldn't bother your fingers at all, or anything else for that matter. It doesn't have the best aroma though, but it's suitable for many uses.

Dietrich
06-14-2010, 04:39 AM
I`ve used Hoppe`s #9 for as long as I can remember.I`ve never used Hoppe`s oil but I can`t really say why.Probably because I`m a creature of habit and use Remoil and grease for lubrication.I clean and lube my firearms after every range trip regardless of whether I fired 50 rounds or 500 rounds so I`ve never had a problem wih a malfunction due to a dirty firearm.Hoppes oil is probably as good a product as #9 is though.

NavJAG06
06-16-2010, 06:30 PM
I use Hoppes #9 or breakfree and after the heavy cleaning use light application of Hoppe's clear gun oil.

rss5995
06-16-2010, 07:44 PM

i agree with ripley, militec is the best lube there is. everybody and his brother in iraq switched to militec, so that must tell you something. it's light years ahead of hoppe's #9. kahr recommends it and sells it on their web site. also, the best cleaner by far is break free "powder blast." miracle stuff!!! (and don't get the cheap "wincherster" brand break free powder blast at walmart, get the real break free brand powder blast.) i sent every cleaner on the market i could find to my son in iraq. when i got to break free powder blast, him and his buddy's said, hold it right there and send us a case!, which i did. the inside of your barrel will shine like new and your gun will never be easier to clean.