PDA

View Full Version : Small of back carry

Rob K
07-10-2014, 05:28 PM
I have a hard time figuring how to carry my CM9 in a lower back holster. When I bend over, it stands out like a big lump on my back.I'm currently using an appendix carry in a Cook's Kydex holster that lets me bend, move and be active while being able to see my CC at all times. Any input would be appreciated...:confused:

Bawanna
07-10-2014, 05:34 PM
I've never been a fan of lower back carry even before I became a full time sitter. One reason you mention is you can't see it and you also can't see if it's concealed or your cover garment has rode up over it.
It's also a very bad thing if you fall wrong. Many people with spinal cord injuries were made worse due to having something positioned in their lower back. In my case it was a carpenter framing axe. It didn't make my injury any worse but it easily could have. Bad enough without the axe.

While quicker and easier to access perhaps than some like an ankle holster etc it's still much slower with more garment to move to access too.

Some love it, just doesn't work for me.

muggsy
07-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Small of the back is the last place I'd carry. In addition to what Bawanna mentoned, someone coming up behind you has better access to your gun than you do. Being shot is bad enough. Being shot with your own gun adds insult to injury.

h2ohhh
07-10-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm guilty. Most comfortable place for me to carry. The grip will print when you bend over...I don't really care if I print momentarily. I can get to it pretty darn quick though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

addictedhealer
07-10-2014, 08:01 PM
I'm guilty as we'll. sometimes quick trips result in my cw9 riding in a remora sob.

Planedude
07-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Use to could. When I first started with CCW I carried the CW40 IWB SOB and also carried a government 1911 there at other times.
About six years ago I had major lower back reconstruct surgery (four rods, nine posts and screws) and after that... the thought of having anything over that scar made me literally sick. I gave away those holsters and have not looked back.
However, time heals all wounds (and scars). I was working around the aircraft and needed to haul my tools for some distance. Out of hands, I tucked my 3/8th air drill (about the same as a 1911) it into the waist band SOB and wandered around the shop like that for some time. This experience has got me thinking that another Bullard "Texas Conceal Carry" might be fine again.

Photoman
07-11-2014, 06:41 AM
Bullard makes excellent holsters.

onemanband60
07-11-2014, 08:37 AM
I am guilty as well. If I'm in a crowded place I am just always cognizant of how I stoop and bend. If I have to tie my shoe, etc I find an aisle and kneel down where there's no one behind me. I have also found that a front buttoned shirt with tails out conceals much better than a Tshirt. I personally can't stand any other type of IWB carry. It's uncomfortable for me, and I have to get bigger pants if wearing some of those. Hey looks count for something too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

berettabone
07-11-2014, 12:27 PM
It's why I front pocket carry my MK9.........................I haven't had anyone notice in over 2 years. I never liked any kind of IWB carry, until I purchased a High Noon Centerfold. I can carry at 2 o'clock comfortably, tuck in my shirt, and ride in the car without getting pinched or stabbed by the barrel.

Rob K
07-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Sounds interesting...I'll check it out.Thanx brother.

garyb
07-12-2014, 06:06 PM
I've never been a fan of lower back carry even before I became a full time sitter. One reason you mention is you can't see it and you also can't see if it's concealed or your cover garment has rode up over it.
It's also a very bad thing if you fall wrong. Many people with spinal cord injuries were made worse due to having something positioned in their lower back. In my case it was a carpenter framing axe. It didn't make my injury any worse but it easily could have. Bad enough without the axe.

While quicker and easier to access perhaps than some like an ankle holster etc it's still much slower with more garment to move to access too.

Some love it, just doesn't work for me.

Damn....I've got to agree with you on this one. LOL.