PDA

View Full Version : Hi Ho Hi Ho Off to the range I go

HSparrow
07-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Well heading to my local range tomorrow, testing some of my reloaded rounds with my CW40 and K40. Using Hornady 155gr XTP HP loaded from 7.1 gr to 8.4 gr and using IMR 4756 powder. I have had real good luck with the IMR powder. At 20 yds I am typically grouping the rounds with my CW 40 with in 9 inches. At 20 yards I was able to group the rounds with in 6 inches with my K40. Have 500 rounds to test to see which load is the best. Just love both Kahrs and they now have become my favorite. I have shot many other pistols is various calibers and the Kahrs just kick butt. Yes the CW40 is a snappy devil with 180 gr shells however, I am using 155 or 165 shells and have been able to reduce the recoil while stepping up the velocity from 900FPS with 180gr bullets to 1200FPS with 155gr bullets which is max. Will be using the rifle range which is 50 yds indoor just curious to see how far down range I can accurate hit the target with the Kahrs. I have cut my ammo costs quite a bit even when buying new brass, typically I shoot about 200 to 500 rounds a month with no issue with the Kahrs.

muggsy
07-12-2014, 07:17 PM
Enjoy your trip. We'll expect a full report. When you play with max loads it's best to hand weigh each charge and to work up to max loads slowly.

b4uqzme
07-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Do be careful... but have fun!!

garyb
07-13-2014, 06:48 AM
Well heading to my local range tomorrow, testing some of my reloaded rounds with my CW40 and K40. Using Hornady 155gr XTP HP loaded from 7.1 gr to 8.4 gr and using IMR 4756 powder. I have had real good luck with the IMR powder. At 20 yds I am typically grouping the rounds with my CW 40 with in 9 inches. At 20 yards I was able to group the rounds with in 6 inches with my K40. Have 500 rounds to test to see which load is the best. Just love both Kahrs and they now have become my favorite. I have shot many other pistols is various calibers and the Kahrs just kick butt. Yes the CW40 is a snappy devil with 180 gr shells however, I am using 155 or 165 shells and have been able to reduce the recoil while stepping up the velocity from 900FPS with 180gr bullets to 1200FPS with 155gr bullets which is max. Will be using the rifle range which is 50 yds indoor just curious to see how far down range I can accurate hit the target with the Kahrs. I have cut my ammo costs quite a bit even when buying new brass, typically I shoot about 200 to 500 rounds a month with no issue with the Kahrs.

Have fun at the range. Always a nice time testing loads. In my experience and based on real data, the 180's with a charge just light enough to cycle will reduce your felt recoil vs the 155 or 165 which requires a heavier charge to cycle. (Your loading manuals will demonstrate this to some degree also.) The heavier bullet helps the slide to cycle with a lighter charge...less recoil and costs less to shoot. However, Not for SD....but just for fun at the range. But do what you like.