PDA

View Full Version : Would you shoot?

knkali
07-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Thoughts after reading a nother post here:

Here is the scenario. You are out and about and a full grown Rottweiler is running toward you, barking and growling and looking ferocious. The owner is yelling for it to come back and stop ect but the dog will have none of that. You are healed. No one else is around. What would you do? Would you shoot?

DavidR
07-16-2014, 10:48 AM
If I thought the dog's intention was to attack me, yes.

kerby9mm
07-16-2014, 11:16 AM
I was walking my little shitzhu & came around a corner & there was an unleashed pitbul walking toward us with the female owner on her phone. I turned sideways & pulled my gun & held it down by my side to where the lady couldn't see it. She said she won't hurt you. I said I don't know that & that her dog should be leashed. I was so glad that nothing happened.

skiflydive
07-16-2014, 11:30 AM
"But your honor, li'll FiFi never even touched a fly..." I've heard you need to let the dog bite you before you shoot it.

DavidS
07-16-2014, 12:46 PM
I for sure would have a bead on the dog. If it slowed down when it got close, it would live. Probably.

Southerngunner
07-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Regretably if the owner can't control the animal I would wait as long as possible before taking the shot , however if the owner is trying to catch his dog and is in the line of fire you couldn't take the shot. I once had a large bloodhound come through a screen door and bite me in the abdomen, I remember punching the dog as hard as I could right between the eyes it let go and I checked for damage and the owner took me to the E.R. to be checked out . Due to heavy jeans stitches were not required but new underwear were:blushing:

codegeek
07-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Yea, I think I'd actually wait for him to try to bite me or launch himself at me before shooting.

TheTman
07-16-2014, 01:58 PM
I would wait as long as possible, if the dog was about to attack, I would shoot if I could do so safely, if not I'd pistol whip his snout when he got close enough.

getsome
07-16-2014, 02:27 PM
If you do a lot of walking yourself or you walk your dog in neighborhoods and parks where there are likely to be other dogs around it's good to carry some pepper spray for times like this....I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a large dog that was attacking me but I would prefer to get him off me with the spray and keep the handgun handy if it doesn't work or for other 2 legged predators I'm more worried about....

muggsy
07-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Believe it or not I was once attacked by a pit Chiwawa. The little bastich bit me on the knee cap. I nailed him with my map case and knocked him half way across the yard. Last bite that he ever took.

wyntrout
07-16-2014, 02:58 PM
When I used to walk my 30-lb+ MinPin... on a leash, I carried a stun gun as well as my pistol... Usually P12 loaded with 13 230-gr Speer Gold Dots. I did have to use the stun gun a few times... but never had to make contact or actually shock any dog. The sound alone was a deterrent and kept the large dog at bay. Had it gotten close enough I would have zapped it, but it wanted none of the zapping and arcing stun gun. I was glad to have a choice besides deadly force, but I was ready to do whatever it took to protect my dog and myself.

I did kick a large Cocker Spaniel multiple times when it charged us and bowled over my dog. The owner had just opened the door to let it out and it crossed 60-70 feet to the street in no time! As it turned back toward us, I kicked it as hard as I could and picked up my dog, then I continued to kick it, aiming for under the chin, until its owner finally got the dog to return. Neither of us was hurt, but I did get in a few really good kicks. Had it grabbed my dog with its mouth, I would have had to make a decision which weapon to employ... stun gun, probably, unless that was ineffective. I'm glad that I haven't had to shoot any pets, but it's always an option.

I don't have a dog anymore and don't go walking at night, so I just carry my pistol and a knife for defense. The knife is a last ditch weapon.

Wynn:)

CPTKILLER
07-16-2014, 03:13 PM
This is a case of I'd have to be there and it would be situation based.

Earle
07-16-2014, 03:37 PM
I live adjacent to a state park, which is my usual exercise territory. I always carry pepper spray. Well, a couple of years ago, I forgot. Two guys were walking their labs off leash - prohibited under park regulations and city ordinance. Both dogs were vicious - and persistent. The older one backed off, after a couple of whacks of my hiking stick. The younger one kept making passes, although swerving off out of stick range. My permit hasn't come through yet, but I don't think I'd shoot until the hiking stick and the pepper spray didn't do the job. (It always has in the past.)

Planedude
07-16-2014, 03:58 PM
I live adjacent to a state park, which is my usual exercise territory. I always carry pepper spray. Well, a couple of years ago, I forgot. Two guys were walking their labs off leash - prohibited under park regulations and city ordinance. Both dogs were vicious - and persistent. The older one backed off, after a couple of whacks of my hiking stick. The younger one kept making passes, although swerving off out of stick range. My permit hasn't come through yet, but I don't think I'd shoot until the hiking stick and the pepper spray didn't do the job. (It always has in the past.)

I carry a stick, but I need it these days to stay upright...
My issue would be my own dog. The lil basstard would see another dog coming up as described, power out to the end of the leash and give it all ha had. Unlikely that the situation would naturally deescalate then. I carry my J size Rossi on those walks, two rounds of CCI rat shot and three rounds of hollow points. The rat shot works great on snakes (my most likely issue) and if I had to deploy the gun I would probably advance the cylinder one spot and try the rat shot first. If that did not "redirect" the attacker, the 125grn. hollow points would end the issue and stop an attack.
It would however, be very sad to shoot someone's pet and I would hold off until I was sure I couldn't anymore. I am now too old and gimped to run anywhere in the face of that kind of threat so my personal options are different from younger or more spry folks.
My two cents spent, Welcome to the forum Earle!

Ken L
07-16-2014, 04:56 PM
I've had this happen recently. I was walking my German Shepherd when a Rottie broke the retractable leash that its' owner had it on and ran about a half block towards us. Owner calling after it the whole way, running to catch up. I shortened up on my dog's leash to keep her under control and put my hand in my back pocket where I carry my TCP 380. I kept myself between the dogs, the owner caught up, all ended well.

The Rott didn't display aggressiveness as it was running to us. I would have been hard pressed to shoot anyway, as I know how I'd feel if my Shepherd ever escaped and ran towards another dog without malicious intent.

berettabone
07-16-2014, 05:08 PM
I had a discussion about these types of things, with a Leo that was in my neighborhood. He said, if you shoot it, make sure you drag it on to your property. Unfortunately, I think that you would have to wait until it did attack, before you shot it, making sure of lines of sight, etc. If an owner cannot train,control or handle their pet, they should not own one. I would not hesitate to shoot an attacking dog. I have been in the position before, and was not armed at the time. Control your pet, or it may not come home.

miketafc
07-16-2014, 05:15 PM
That's why I conceal carry a sawed-off Milk Bone at all times. :)

Rob K
07-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Ya just can't shoot the stupid dog because his owner is really the stupid one. Step back back as much as possible and see how much actual bodily threat there really is. Some dogs of stupid owners are barkers and intimidaters but it is really a last second decision. In my opinion, I'd rather face a bite on my leg rather than the multiple bites of $ hungry attorneys. It's sad but that's the way it is. Save your life but don't be a cowboy.

b4uqzme
07-16-2014, 07:15 PM
I'd take one for PETA. :rolleyes:

RRP
07-17-2014, 03:38 AM
Two pages of replies, and not one mention of ability, opportunity and jeopardy.

ohio lock
07-17-2014, 04:56 AM
I am a mailman (30 years this past December) and have been bitten by dogs 5 times in my career. Since I cannot carry while on postal duty (what a shame) I have learned to fight off dogs pretty well with my hands, sticks, feet, etc. But the other day I was walking with my little boy and a dog came barking and running straight at us. The owner was calling but the dog was not listening. My little guy was screaming and hiding behind my legs. I grabbed for my PM45 and held it. I was going to shoot before letting this animal hurt my boy. I believe the owner of the dog saw me reach for my gun and finally got the dog to stop. I don't know about who would be responsible since this happened in the middle of the street in a quiet residential area. But I do know that the dog was NOT going to maul my son.

downtownv
07-17-2014, 08:08 AM
KNKali no until he latched on to me then yes.

knkali
07-17-2014, 09:55 AM
well my two centavos:

Sad but animals are considered property and not family members. Therefore, you might be hard pressed if you shot a dog protecting your dog. I am not an attorney so I cannot say for sure. Second, I bet you would be hard pressed to make your case if you shot a dog and didn't have a bite mark on you. Therefore, I guess the best thing you can do is start yelling to see if you can frighten the charging animal with your "command voice"(yeah right--think mastiff). If that is not working go to pepper spray. If no go then blade yourself to the animal with weak side forward and take a bite and them pull on the dog. However, I am not sure if that is the best thing esp if the dog is large. It could take you off your feet and then own you while on the ground.

Food for thought:
Calm under stress for sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tak19CU1MLo

berettabone
07-17-2014, 11:12 AM
What you also need to take into account is, letting a Rottweiler or pit bull latch on to you, before you shoot it............................well, they can do a lot of damage in a short time, with their bite pressures, leading to long time pain, suffering, surgery, etc. You want to let a dog latch on, go for it..................personally, I don't want to go through that, so I'll take my chances shooting it in the head, and I'll sue the dog owners for every penny that they have. I'll take the chance of being sued by them, for the loss of their dog. Believe me, the way law enforcement and judges feel about these untrained dogs, I don't think you will have a problem. Up here in my neck of the woods, these dogs are hated in the communities, and some owners have to get permission to even have one in the neighborhood. They also have a hard time getting home owners insurance, and pay more when they do. I don't hate these dogs, per se, I don't like the owners who can't train them correctly. They are no different than any other wild animal. If you get attacked, you shoot them, plain and simple. This is coming from someone who feels bad when they find a bird egg, that's fallen from the nest.

Longitude Zero
07-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Once the dog got to within 3-5 feet I would open up. Letting it bite first is crazy as you can just about bet that whatever body parts is bit it will later be amputates or so severely mangles as to never work properly again. I have seen dozens and dozens of dog maulings. The damage from large dogs is massive and quick.

Earle
07-17-2014, 06:58 PM
I carry a stick, but I need it these days to stay upright...
My issue would be my own dog. The lil basstard would see another dog coming up as described, power out to the end of the leash and give it all ha had. Unlikely that the situation would naturally deescalate then. I carry my J size Rossi on those walks, two rounds of CCI rat shot and three rounds of hollow points. The rat shot works great on snakes (my most likely issue) and if I had to deploy the gun I would probably advance the cylinder one spot and try the rat shot first. If that did not "redirect" the attacker, the 125grn. hollow points would end the issue and stop an attack.
It would however, be very sad to shoot someone's pet and I would hold off until I was sure I couldn't anymore. I am now too old and gimped to run anywhere in the face of that kind of threat so my personal options are different from younger or more spry folks.
My two cents spent, Welcome to the forum Earle!

Thanks for the welcome. I'm now fully legal, through a favor of the county attorney - 30 days became one hour, somehow. :) I wouldn't shoot unless the hiking stick + pepper spray didn't work. When my wife and I hike out west, we carry pepper spray and it's been shown to be a better deterrent to grizzlies than anything other than a large caliber rifle. Also, this state park lies within the city limits of my hometown. Discharging a firearm, licensed or not, is a violation of a city ordinance, so there would be a court case to fight, probably winnable, but there, nevertheless. That's without the possibility of a civil damage suit for the value of the dog. I guess I've already blown cover that I'm a lawyer, but I'm really a tax/business/estate/will and trust type (NYU grad) - not a personal injury lawyer.

Out in our county, not inside city limits, I'd probably be a little quicker on the trigger. These dogs were labs, and, although sizable, didn't present the kind of threat that I would have felt with some others. Some others, particularly with a confrontational type of attack, I would shoot quicker. These two dogs were dashing and diving and trying to get behind me. IOW, cowardly attack. One sharp crack over the muzzle of the older killed her interest instantly. I hate to say it, but I was beginning to enjoy myself.

Now, here is another dog horror story (apologizing for the length of the post). Last week, a friend called me. He had built a house in Madison, a suburb of Huntsville, and fenced his back yard. Out of kindness of heart, he'd installed a gate in the fence to accommodate his backdoor neighbors to allow them to shortcut through his yard to reach the nearby high school athletic fields to see kids play. Well, said neighbors had two dogs, one a Great Dane and a lab. The Dane weighed about 135 and the lab, a big one, about 85-90. The two big dogs launched themselves against the gate and the latch gave way. They were trying to reach my friends two miniature Chihuahuas. (I thought they were all miniature!) The GD grabbed up one and my friend's wife ran out to intervene. She snatched the small dog from the Dane, but the lab snatched up the other and shook it like a rat. It survived, with a $1300 vet bill. I won't put out any more details, but my friend is an avid hunter, bowhunter and handgunner. However, he was laid up in the house, recovering from peritonitis caused by a ruptured gall bladder. Had he been able, I'm sure he'd have shot the dogs - and I would have also. As it is, a friendship has been broken. Some people have no sense with their dogs. These dogs had escaped twice in the last few weeks and had been captured by animal control and had to be ransomed...

Planedude
07-17-2014, 09:32 PM
Understand about a neighbors dogs. My next door neighbor Bill was bitten by a neighbors Boxer. This is from the house behind him and they share the chain-link fence at the rear of their properties. The dang Boxer leapt up on the fence and bit Bill hard on his left elbow, trying to drag him back across the fence. The wound required medical work but the "surprised" owners of the boxer paid the medical costs and Bill let it go. Since then this Boxer has leapt over every fence around except mine (which why its still alive) and it has menaced several folks including children. The boxers owner then bought some 8ft tall bamboo roll fence and wired it to the chain-link common to Bill's yard. This boxer then found it's "inner panda" and ate the bamboo fence in just four days.
Now Bill and his wife are going to erect a fancy privacy fence to keep their dogs in and the boxer out. Bill told me the fence would cost a jaw dropping $4300 bucks...

I instantly blurted out "man, a 12gage shell is only 50cents"!!

DavidS
07-17-2014, 10:02 PM
I have Brittany bird dogs. I work and train them on my property. Several years ago our neighbor's dog wound up presenting them with a litter of mixed breed misfits. They kept all the pups and raised them - but no real training. There were five or six of them. They slowly "disappeared" when caught chasing a different neighbor's cattle and killing another neighbor's chickens. When there were only a couple/three left they would sometimes come over when I was training and "try to start up a scuffle" with my dogs.
I called the county sheriff's office to ask about dogs running wild outside city limits and told them about my problem. I was told there were no regulations along this line in rural areas. I was also told that I was "allowed to protect myself, my family and my property". They said that to me two times, very slowly. :84:

Earle
07-17-2014, 11:55 PM
Understand about a neighbors dogs. My next door neighbor Bill was bitten by a neighbors Boxer. This is from the house behind him and they share the chain-link fence at the rear of their properties. The dang Boxer leapt up on the fence and bit Bill hard on his left elbow, trying to drag him back across the fence. The wound required medical work but the "surprised" owners of the boxer paid the medical costs and Bill let it go. Since then this Boxer has leapt over every fence around except mine (which why its still alive) and it has menaced several folks including children. The boxers owner then bought some 8ft tall bamboo roll fence and wired it to the chain-link common to Bill's yard. This boxer then found it's "inner panda" and ate the bamboo fence in just four days.
Now Bill and his wife are going to erect a fancy privacy fence to keep their dogs in and the boxer out. Bill told me the fence would cost a jaw dropping $4300 bucks...

I instantly blurted out "man, a 12gage shell is only 50cents"!!It's amazing, but some people just won't own up to the fact that they have a problem dog. We have wonderful next door neighbors. They are, however, in overload - parents in their early 50s (guy), wife about five years younger. They have four kids, with the youngest six. Recently, they took off for the Grand Canyon, with a neighborhood kid designated to look after their two dogs and put them up at night. He didn't. We have an anomalous lot - three wooded acres - and we have a number of deer who bed down here. (I'm about to take my crossbow to them and render them venison, if I can get it past my wife.) Well, while they were gone, their dogs decided our yard was fine recreation for chasing deer at 3:00 AM. We have one of those motion detector deer waterer spray guns. In this case, I was able to use it to keep the dogs out, rather than the deer. It goes back to the same point - many people accord their animals total free rein - and be damned with your rights. The pets shouldn't suffer for it, but sometimes they must...

Earle
07-18-2014, 12:06 AM

I instantly blurted out "man, a 12gage shell is only 50cents"!!The friend I mentioned dropped far more than 4 big bills on his fence. In his case, money is actually not really an object at all. However, through graciousness, he built in the gate for the neighbor's access, not dreaming that there might be a weak point that 200+ pounds of dog flesh could be launched against and defeat the latch. If the dogs enter his property again, they won't survive. It'll be interesting to see if they remain faithful to their promise and actually pay the vet bill. Years ago, jogging in my neighborhood, I got bitten on the forearm by an Old English Sheep dog (can they see anything?) The neighbors were very compliant, until they saw the ER bill. Then they didn't want to pay that or even the cost of the sweatshirt he'd ruined...

berettabone
07-18-2014, 08:46 AM

I instantly blurted out "man, a 12gage shell is only 50cents"!!
That dog should already be dead.........

berettabone
07-18-2014, 08:48 AM
There is the alternative...........................I had a problem with neighbor dogs, and tried to solve it with some compassion, with no avail, so..........................out comes the Exlax, in chocolate...............took care of the problem.

Ikeo74
07-18-2014, 10:46 AM
No.

b4uqzme
07-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Thoughts after reading a nother post here:

Here is the scenario. You are out and about and a full grown Rottweiler is running toward you, barking and growling and looking ferocious. The owner is yelling for it to come back and stop ect but the dog will have none of that. You are healed. No one else is around. What would you do? Would you shoot?

This thread does have me thinking: It appears that it's easier to identify malicious intent in two-legged animals compared to four-legged.

getsome
07-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Some people are the problem more so than the dog...A dog can be trained to behave their owner and not be a nuisance to others and if that owner either can't or won't do it then they shouldn't own a pet....I had a neighbor once that was a real nice guy and a good neighbor except for his two little POS hairy mutts that stayed in his backyard most of the time and if I ever set foot in my backyard those two hair balls would start barking and foaming at the mouth and snarling for HOURS or until I went back inside and he never seemed to notice it...It made my backyard almost unusable unless you wore ear plugs....I tried to make friends with the dogs but they weren't interested and just bared their nasty little yellow fangs and wanted to kill me...I love dogs but I absolutely HATED those nasty things and they were one of the reasons we sold that house and moved.....Bottom line is if you own a dog that barks for hours and hours and hours on end then freekin make um stop!!!....

Earle
07-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Some people are the problem more so than the dog...A dog can be trained to behave their owner and not be a nuisance to others and if that owner either can't or won't do it then they shouldn't own a pet....I had a neighbor once that was a real nice guy and a good neighbor except for his two little POS hairy mutts that stayed in his backyard most of the time and if I ever set foot in my backyard those two hair balls would start barking and foaming at the mouth and snarling for HOURS or until I went back inside and he never seemed to notice it...It made my backyard almost unusable unless you wore ear plugs....I tried to make friends with the dogs but they weren't interested and just bared their nasty little yellow fangs and wanted to kill me...I love dogs but I absolutely HATED those nasty things and they were one of the reasons we sold that house and moved.....Bottom line is if you own a dog that barks for hours and hours and hours on end then freekin make um stop!!!....I understand your pain. We have one neighbor who has a small dog with a very high pitched bark. She used to put it out at the crack of dawn until leaving for work around 7:30 or so. It barked continually. The weird thing is that the dog is stone deaf. If she had its larynx removed, it'd never know the difference. There must have been complaints, because it's never put out that early any more and it doesn't stay out for two hours or more at a time...

b4uqzme
07-21-2014, 07:59 PM
I had a friend who tied her dog outside while she was at work and the dog barked all day drawing complaints from the neighbors. So she bought a bark-activated shock collar. It worked, kind of. She came home to find the dog whispering; "woof, woof".

True story.

Earle
07-21-2014, 08:52 PM
I had a friend who tied her dog outside while she was at work and the dog barked all day drawing complaints from the neighbors. So she bought a bark-activated shock collar. It worked, kind of. She came home to find the dog whispering; "woof, woof".

True story.LOL! I could go for that...

DavidS
07-21-2014, 08:58 PM

True story.
I've known of more than one dog that had been taught to whisper, but only on command, not all the time. Had one myself, a cocker spaniel.

Earle
07-21-2014, 10:35 PM
Come to think of it, the deaf dog would be controlled by the collar, anyway. However, she doesn't seem to be that much of a caring person. She moved to be across from her parents in their 80s, to take care of them. However, so far as I can see, they seem to be taking care of her still...