PDA

View Full Version : Changing one thing

Dietrich
06-15-2010, 04:37 AM
If you could change one single event in your life,what would it be? For me,it would be marrying my first wife.We were both far too young and immature.How about you?

jlottmc
06-15-2010, 05:58 AM
I don't think I would. All of my hardship and such made me who I am. Any one thing that I would change, would change part of who I am. I may not have much to show for it, but I have worked damn hard to get to where I am. I'm ok with that.

Moto_joe
06-15-2010, 07:27 AM
I would be smarter about finances as a young 20 something. At 30 now I am still paying for those mistakes, and what is truly scary is I was WAY more responsible with my money than many of my friends of the same age.

Outside of that, nothing. I dont think that would change who I am, just things would be much easier now. Anything else changed would change who I am now I think.

wyntrout
06-15-2010, 07:42 AM
If you could change one single event in your life,what would it be? For me,it would be marrying my first wife.We were both far too young and immature.How about you?

I have thought about this choice many times, but I would have missed having my son and daughter... and my ex and I AND my wife are all friends. I only regret getting so old... I would rather be a young lad of about 40, newly married to my bride aged 30. I'm not rich in money, but we are definitely doing okay and I am very happy with my my "new" wife for the last 24 years or so.

Oh, one thing I would change is my procrastination and/or laziness.

Wynn:D

Short Hijack... somewhat relevant:
I thought about you when I got to item #10, Dietrich, no offense meant! :D

"YOU MAY BE A TALIBAN IF..."

1.. You refine heroin for a living, but you have a moral objection to liquor.

2. You own a $3,000 machine gun and $5,000 rocket launcher, but you can't afford shoes.

3. You have more wives than teeth.

4. You wipe your butt with your bare hand, but consider bacon "unclean."

5. You think vests come in two styles: bullet-proof and suicide.

6. You can't think of anyone you haven't declared Jihad against.

7. You consider television dangerous, but routinely carry explosives in your clothing.

8. You were amazed to discover that cell phones have uses other than setting off roadside bombs.

9. You have nothing against women and think every man should own at least four.

10. You've always had a crush on your neighbor's goat.

11. Your cousin is president of the United States

rholmes69
06-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Have told more people to vote for McCain/Palin.....

Bawanna
06-15-2010, 09:09 AM
I shall have to ponder this, only one event change? There was a certain day that I had thought of going bass fishing instead of work but stupid work ethics made me go to work, bad choice. Should have went fishing, I'd still be vertical?
Rholmes, please explain your post to this simple minded Missouri dirt farmer. Following Wynn's taliban detour, I'm a little on edge.

Frankhenrylee
06-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Looking back, I wish my standards were as low back when I was a teenager as they were now.

rholmes69
06-15-2010, 09:43 AM
I just mean I wish P'Bo hadn't won the past election. Are you feeling anxious about the goat though? Sheep are less likely to do damage...

Bawanna
06-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Have told more people to vote for McCain/Palin.....

Disregard my request for explanation. Following Wynn's taliban story I for some unintelligent reason associated your comment with that. I read it now just like I would have thought, you'd tell more people to vote to avoid the complete mess we're in now. It's all good, and not too late. Lets work on the next election.
I recalled all my assassins and will try to make up for my hot headed impulse bad thoughts.

Moto_joe
06-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Looking back, I wish my standards were as low back when I was a teenager as they were now.

No reason to lower standards. There is plenty of hawt stuff to go around.

Just have to lower your MORALS. Keep the standards :D

rholmes69
06-15-2010, 10:07 AM
No reason to lower standards. There is plenty of hawt stuff to go around.

Just have to lower your MORALS. Keep the standards :D

Sheesh, look who's mind is in the gutter :D.

What if he was just talking about making $5 an hour and living with mom and dad while living off pb&j or hotdogs!

Bawanna
06-15-2010, 10:10 AM

What if he was just talking about making $5 an hour and living with mom and dad while living off pb&j or hotdogs!

I thought he was talking about goats. Standards and all who wants to get stuck with an ugly goat.

rholmes69
06-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Hmmm, that one stumped me. I don't know how to take it any further without completely thread jacking this one. What was the original topic anyways, which farm animal would you willingly adopt....

Bawanna
06-15-2010, 10:51 AM

Just resetting the thread track. This is a good one and should be some interesting stuff.

mr surveyor
06-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Nope, I wouldn't want to go back and change a single thing..... good or bad. I picked up a really good ideal to live by many years ago concerning "failure":

Never accept "failure" as an outcome..... consider those events to be unsuccessful attempts to achieve a goal so you can move on to a "plan B"

Believe me, I've had my share of "unsuccessful attempts", and made more than my share of mistakes, but all heve been learning experiences.

Now, would I like to "go back" and re-experience a few things.... you bet your life:D. And, would I like to forget a few things.....maybe, but for some reason (maybe the learning experience part of the equation) I occassionally bring the bad experiences back to the front of the memory bank as a reminder of what didn't work, or how to avoid re-occurances.

Hellsbells.... this is too deep a subject to ponder on the "second Monday" of the week

surv

Moto_joe
06-15-2010, 12:48 PM

You say that like its a bad thing :confused:

getsome
06-15-2010, 01:37 PM
I like your answer Mr Surveyor as well as jlottmc....We are a sum of all the experiences both good and bad that lead up to this moment in life....If you can look yourself in the mirror each day and like what you see and what you stand for, thats all we can ever want...I hear people complain about I'm not happy, I'm not happy...well heres a news flash for you....NOBODY is happy all the time....Happyness is a childs hug, a good dog, a hot cup of joe on a cold morning, a fresh tomato from your backyard garden, Enough to eat and a warm bed to sleep in which is more than 3/4 of the world has....If I could change anything about my life it would only be to have been born about 30 years earlier when things were simple, you knew your neighbors and didn't have to lock your doors at night, kids played outside and when you said thank you to someone they would say your welcome not "no problem"....I think life was just better in black and white and you didn't care if you could surf the web, send a text, talk to someone, program your dvr for 5 tv shows, send a twitter, check your e-mail, look at e-bay and book a flight all at the same time....Are there really people that think they are so important and in such a hurry up, get outa my way, gotta have it all right now lifestyle that all that seems normal?...If so then I truely pitty them and their children....And that's all I have to say about that.....

Bawanna
06-15-2010, 01:43 PM
I like your answer Mr Surveyor as well as jlottmc....We are a sum of all the experiences both good and bad that lead up to this moment in life....If you can look yourself in the mirror each day and like what you see and what you stand for, thats all we can ever want...I hear people complain about I'm not happy, I'm not happy...well heres a news flash for you....NOBODY is happy all the time....Happyness is a childs hug, a good dog, a hot cup of joe on a cold morning, a fresh tomato from your backyard garden, Enough to eat and a warm bed to sleep in which is more than 3/4 of the world has....If I could change anything about my life it would only be to have been born about 30 years earlier when things were simple, you knew your neighbors and didn't have to lock your doors at night, kids played outside and when you said thank you to someone they would say your welcome not "no problem"....I think life was just better in black and white and you didn't care if you could surf the web, send a text, talk to someone, program your dvr for 5 tv shows, send a twitter, check your e-mail, look at e-bay and book a flight all at the same time....Are there really people that think they are so important and in such a hurry up, get outa my way, gotta have it all right now lifestyle that all that seems normal?...If so then I truely pitty them and their children....And that's all I have to say about that.....

Eloquently put, couldn't agree more although I think I'd want to go back maybe 50 years or maybe 75. Give me black and white (TV) and some version of Kahrtalk and I'd have no need for all the other stuff. Simple is good, open doors for the ladies without being labeled a sexist bastardo, just do whats right and keep things simple. This whole internet thing is really good for deaf people like me that can't use a phone but I'd get along without it just fine too.
Be nice to turn back the clock wouldn't it.

wyntrout
06-15-2010, 03:21 PM
This is a different twist, but something I've thought about often... going back to age six, but with all of my current memories... a "dirty young man"... watch out girls!:p

Investment would be fun... I could pick a few stocks... and make some wiser choices, too. I would have to wait for my wife to be born but I could get ready for that and position myself to keep her from her first marriage, which was truly bad.

I often think about doing that, making us meet and both of us starting out in our first marriage... together. It would suck having to wait until she got old enough, though, her being 10 years younger.

I just wonder how things could have turned out, had our only marriage been to each other.:rolleyes:

Added(8:47PM) I rented Men Who Stare at Goats, the Blu-Ray version and we're about to watch that after I clean up the kitchen. Wifey's off tonight and tomorrow night. She wanted to see that. :D

OldLincoln
06-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Would not let my broker talk me out of buying 2,000 shares of Dell stock in 1994.

kahrseye
06-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Would not let my broker talk me out of buying 2,000 shares of Dell stock in 1994.

I would have done everything in my power to buy just $1000 worth of Microsoft stock. I could easily have been a millionaire now.:third:

wyntrout
06-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Those funny-sounding stocks did well, too... Yahoo and Google.