PDA

View Full Version : Man who bought F-14 machine gun gets 3 years

aray
06-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Who needs to CCW in Maryland when ya got this: :)

Man who bought F-14 machine gun gets 3 years | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com (http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/man-who-bought-f14-machine-gun-gets-3-years)

Bawanna
06-15-2010, 02:03 PM
So can we assume this gun is back on the market? That would look and work real cool on the roof of my van. Have to take up a collection for ammo though, shoots wicked fast. I have no evil intentions of opening a flight simulator business. Not enough paper sacks in the world for me to by flying one of them wicked fast jets this late in the game.

aray
06-15-2010, 03:45 PM
So can we assume this gun is back on the market? That would look and work real cool on the roof of my van. Have to take up a collection for ammo though, shoots wicked fast. I have no evil intentions of opening a flight simulator business. Not enough paper sacks in the world for me to by flying one of them wicked fast jets this late in the game.

According to wikipedia: "The F-14 is equipped with an internal 20 mm M61 Vulcan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M61_Vulcan) Gatling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatling_gun)-type gun mounted on the left side".

Dunno how much 20 mm ammo normally goes for. Not a standard Kahr caliber & didn't see it listed as a stock item on ammunitiontogo.com. :) A quick google search of the top hits showed it in the $10-$15 per round range. Times 6,000 rounds per minute. Well, you do the math, my head (and wallet) hurts already ...

aray
06-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Not a standard Kahr caliber

Well on second thought maybe I shouldn't be too quick to call that. Jocko has some pimped out Kahrs; dunno what all other people might have done.

Ported 20 mm? Just thinking out loud...

Bawanna
06-15-2010, 03:54 PM
10-15 x 6000 a minute???? Hmmmm, only the government could afford something like that. Sorta boggles the mind don't it?
20mm Kahr in Jocko's pocket does sound appealing but them 20's is pretty big critters, have to be big pockets plus.

jeep45238
06-15-2010, 04:36 PM
$8 per shot for training ammunition ;)

Bawanna
06-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Don't help me much, I only want to carry the good stuff for CCW. I'm worth it. Have to go dye my hair now.........................

ripley16
06-15-2010, 05:48 PM
I saw one of the cannons mounted on a tracked APC in a impressive fire demonstration many years ago, ('70s). It was called a M163 VADS, with a air defence mission, but it could be used agaist ground targets too. Sounds like a fog horn and spews buckets of spent cases.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/M163_VADS.JPEG

aray
06-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Let's see 3,450 fps High Explosive Incendiary/Armor Piercing Ammunition (HEIAP) at 6,0000 rounds per minute. Dunno if it comes in a depleted uranium round version or not, but even so it sorta puts the "what is the best JHP" discussion in its place, eh?

jeep45238
06-16-2010, 09:32 AM
But Ray, that's only a 1500ish grain projectile.

Bawanna
06-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Penetration is important to me so probably best to stick with the heavier bullets. The depleted uranium sounds kind of nifty, would I like glow in the dark after awhile. What price protection.

O'Dell
06-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Penetration is important to me so probably best to stick with the heavier bullets. The depleted uranium sounds kind of nifty, would I like glow in the dark after awhile. What price protection.

Sorry, but if you want the shoot depleted uranium [or tungsten] rounds a M61 gatling won't cut it. You'll need to get a 120 mm main gun from an M-1A2 Abrams tank. The good news is that this gun is a single shot, but it might be a bit large to mount on your van. I also doubt that your van weighs 70 tons, so recoil could be a problem. Make sure you buy the discarding sabot rounds and not the HEAT rounds.

Bawanna
06-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Sorry, but if you want the shoot depleted uranium [or tungsten] rounds a M61 gatling won't cut it. You'll need to get a 120 mm main gun from an M-1A2 Abrams tank. The good news is that this gun is a single shot, but it might be a bit large to mount on your van. I also doubt that your van weighs 70 tons, so recoil could be a problem. Make sure you buy the discarding sabot rounds and not the HEAT rounds.

Yeah my van's a far piece from 70 tons. I'd for sure have to beef up the roof some. Recoil might be kind of a fun thing though. Might have to upgrade the shock absorbers. Probably could charge like a carnival ride. I dont want to get too many toys up on the roof so I kind of need to be selective. I'm still thinking the Dillon Aero would be nice for the everyday commute. Even if it is only 10-15 minutes on rural backroads. You just never know when bad things will happen to semi good guys.
Thanks for the tip on the discarding sabot rounds, I'll note that and steer clear of the HEAT rounds.

O'Dell
06-16-2010, 10:50 AM

I forgot in the previous post that there is another US weapon that fires DU rounds. It's the GAU-8 Avenger cannon in the A-10 jet. It normally fires at 3900 RPM, and you will need to specify the PGU-13/B HEI AP incendiary round to get the DU.

Bawanna
06-16-2010, 11:11 AM
I forgot in the previous post that there is another US weapon that fires DU rounds. It's the GAU-8 Avenger cannon in the A-10 jet. It normally fires at 3900 RPM, and you will need to specify the PGU-13/B HEI AP incendiary round to get the DU.

I just checked Cabela's and Cheaper than Dirt and they don't show these? What's up with that?

jeep45238
06-16-2010, 11:50 AM
You're looking at the wrong place to buy 'em from. Try the local VW dealer, they'll probably be able to special order you a 30mm GAU-8/A

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f5/GAU-8_meets_VW_Type_1.jpg/800px-GAU-8_meets_VW_Type_1.jpg

Bawanna
06-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Big sumbuck ain't it. Kind a puts it in better perspective. Might have to scale down or for sure get a bigger van!
Do those come with night sights?

I should call trijicon or XS and ask, bet that would be good for a laugh, I'll send that pic too. See if they want me to send it in for installation.

quikduk
06-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Sorry but the guy who "bought" this thing is a DA.

"What did you want that for sir?"

"...uh...lawn darts...yeah..that's it..."

WTH was he thinking?

Now the reality is it would be cool to shoot it but only if Bawanna45cal or Jocko are paying for the ammo...and want to admit ownership/possession...:cool:

Bawanna
06-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Sorry but the guy who "bought" this thing is a DA.

"What did you want that for sir?"

"...uh...lawn darts...yeah..that's it..."

WTH was he thinking?

Now the reality is it would be cool to shoot it but only if Bawanna45cal or Jocko are paying for the ammo...and want to admit ownership/possession...:cool:

Well I'd be right proud to admit ownership but Jocko's gonna have to pick up the ammo tab. I'm just po white trash on the right side of the tracks.
It's right to keep and bear arms, don't say they gotta be little.

wyntrout
06-16-2010, 03:14 PM
They built the gun first and then designed the A-10 around it... terrific tank killer. Two A-10s each killed a helicopter in the first Gulf War.
Wynn:D

http://128.121.102.226/aakill.html#Rodriguez-1

Bawanna
06-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Looks like it would take some effort to load the thing up. Would be fun to see it done from start to finish. Probably a whole new cannister plugged in the back for fast rearmament and then the empty ones reloaded and returned?
Gotta leave a mark for sure!

O'Dell
06-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Big sumbuck ain't it. Kind a puts it in better perspective. Might have to scale down or for sure get a bigger van!
Do those come with night sights?

I should call trijicon or XS and ask, bet that would be good for a laugh, I'll send that pic too. See if they want me to send it in for installation.

I don't think the AF or Republic ever got around to installing thermal imaging on the A-10. However, if you're packing a Maverick missile, you can use it's seeker as sort of a poor-man's FLIR.

Vincent
06-17-2010, 11:19 PM
So let's see....$60,000 to $90,000 a MINUTE to shoot the 20mm Vulcan Cannon (NOT a "machine gun" as the article called it).

On to the GAU-8. I used to shoot with an English gentleman who was an engineer on the develpment of the 30mm cannon and it's ammo. He said in the single shot development barrels they were getting 6" groups at 1000 yards.

Be a great varmint rifle don't you think?

Tack
06-18-2010, 05:28 AM
And you think getting Primers to reload was tough before?

wyntrout
06-18-2010, 08:22 AM
That danged Gun Control Act of 1968 sure ruined things for us. In the early 60's I used to read the ads in the back of comic books that listed all kinds of guns for sale. Centerfire pistols were cheap... $10 to $20, but rimfire ones were a lot more.
There was one gun in particular that I really liked. It was a 20mm anti-tank "rifle"... ONLY $129!! The bullets were $1 each. This thing could shoot like 4.5 miles and was accurate to 3.4 miles(I think that was what the ad said). It had a bipod, and large telescopic sight, as well as a smaller coaxial spotting scope.
I'll bet that was a fun thing to shoot, though at a buck a bullet back then, it was pretty expensive. That was about minimum hourly wage then. I can still see the picture of that one in my mind.<sigh>
I think this was the one... it was something like this, but had the telescopic sights:

Lahti 20mm Anti-Tank Rifle

Fires 2,300 grain solid tungsten projectile (1/3 pound or 5.28 ounces) velocity about 2,625 fps. Muzzle energy over 35,000 ft-lbs!

Here's Bubba on a squirrel hunting trip:

http://www.thegunzone.com/people/lahti.html

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=191175

wyntrout
06-18-2010, 09:19 AM
If the .50 cal doesn't float your boat, try this:

MAG-FED 20MM RIFLE - Anzio Ironworks (http://www.anzioironworks.com/MAG-FED-20MM-RIFLE.htm)

It's a bit cheaper, but not as much fun to shoot.

wyntrout
07-25-2010, 11:37 AM
A better article on the 30mm Gatling gun and A10 Warthog:

Gear II - Topic Powered by Social Strata (http://forums.militaryspot.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4461074/m/946301914/r/233303914)

Wynn