PDA

View Full Version : Back on The Kahr Wagon

Deepsearch
07-25-2014, 12:53 AM
Around a year ago I posted of woes with a MK9 flipping brass at my dome. I grew tired of it and sold the pistol. Recently, I decided it was time to get back to Kahr to give them another chance -- I picked up what I consider to be their flagship model, the K9. I didn't notice it at the shop, but when I got it home I noticed the barrel had a pitted appearance. I cleaned it a couple time with a bronze brush, a good solvent and brass jag with no improvement. I went out and fired my 200 round break in, it functioned perfectly but for a double feed on the third magazine. Pitting didn't change, of course.
I contacted Jay to see what my options were, he told me there was only one -- ship the pistol in. It has been gone for five days now, in the mean time I ordered a P9 from Buds Police Supply (which should be in tomorrow, I'm quite exited) and put on hold at the small gun shop I work at (Cabela's) a PM9 with three holsters for $499.99. So, in the near future I will have three Kahrs after a 9 month period without. My reason to get the other two is the K9 is just too dense, it's weight is concentrated in a tiny area of the waist and is felt all day as being too much. I absolutely love the grip, recoil characteristics, accuracy and trigger pull -- my only beef is the weight.
I picked up the P9 because it is the same general size, but less weight. The PM9 walked into my life...I felt like I needed to save it from a negligent owner when it came in on trade. My only question for you folks is: does $499.99 sound like a good price for a PM9 in 90% condition with three holster, one of which is a Crossbreed. I plan to sell the K9 upon it's arrival or shortly after...maybe. The P9 and PM9 will be fired to see which offers the best overall compromise over a larger, duty sized pistol.

I continue to check in to see the happenings here at least weekly, but would love to hear some opinions on my latest "troubles".:)

muggsy
07-25-2014, 05:38 AM
What we think doesn't matter. If you are happy with the gun at that price who are we to disagree with you. If it feels good do it.

DavidR
07-25-2014, 06:42 AM
As long as the PM9 is functioning well and you can use at least one of the holsters I think the price is good.

marshal kane
07-25-2014, 07:02 AM
What we think doesn't matter. If you are happy with the gun at that price who are we to disagree with you. If it feels good do it.

Ditto that! You are the only one that needs to be satisfied with the deal. The P9 is my first Kahr and I'm totally sold on it. I wanted something for CCW so it had to be small, light, totally dependable, and accurate with manageable recoil. I've put 600 rounds through it and except for a few FTCs during break in, it's all that and more.

shlike
07-25-2014, 07:04 AM
A good deal is a state of mind. If you think you got a good deal, then you did.

Bill K
07-25-2014, 07:57 AM
Sounds like a fair deal to me. Good luck with all three of your Kahrs.

berettabone
07-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Sounds good....................I never take into account, any holsters that come with a firearm. Ask anyone, they have a closet full................so, I usually tell them that they can keep their holsters, because I will find my own. If I think that the firearm is priced right, then at worst, the holsters will just not be used, or tossed, sold, given away etc.

wyntrout
07-25-2014, 09:37 AM
The K9 was my first Kahr(March 1998) and I could never carry it because of the weight. I sold it this year.

The PM9 was my first polymer Kahr(January 2010) and I carried it until I got a few more Kahrs. It's now my backup because I like the mid-sized P-models... P40 and P9 for carry... with a few modifications... as in replacing the polymer magazine bases with the steel ones for a slight increase in concealability. I had to add a 3/32" by 3/4" inner diameter O-ring to stop pinches, especially with the P40.

My main carry is the Mag-na-ported P40, the P9 with ported Kahr 4" barrel, and then the PM45.

The one I carry the most, though, is my P380 because I wear it in and around the house, for short excursions, and when maximum concealability is needed.

Your PM9 purchase sounded like a good deal.

Here's my P9... I carry it in a CrossBreed MiniTuck IWB at about 4 o'clock:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6907&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1352948966

With the PM9:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6910&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1352949166

I can carry all of the larger Kahrs in the same MiniTuck that I originally bought for my PM9... PM9, P9, K9, and PM45. Belt tension allows all to be safely and securely carried. I have two of the MiniTucks in case I leave a pair of shorts or pants ready for reuse.

Wynn:)

codegeek
07-25-2014, 11:00 AM
I think that's a pretty good deal on the PM9! but like muggsy said, yourn is the only opinion that matters...

Deepsearch
07-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Thank you all for your opinions. I went to my dealer today to take possession of my new P9, and the company I ordered through had shipped a PM9 in its place! All of his paperwork matched for a P9, but the serial # was correct to the pistol that was shipped. My dealer told me it made no difference to him whether it was a P9 or PM9 as long as the serial # matched. I briefly thought about calling and having the correct pistol shipped, but opted not to. I went to the range to fire the new Kahr as originally planned.
I fire 200 rounds of steel-cased ammo to get through the "break in", had a few rounds stick on the feed ramp, a tap was all that was required to bring it back into battery.
After that I worked a mix of old hollow points through, then some Critical Duty +P. All of those worked fine. Anyhow, I'm going to skip out on the PM9 at work and keep my eyes peeled for a P9. Is there trading going on around here, I'm thinking of re-homing the K9 when it gets back, but not sure. Thanks again!

larryz
07-26-2014, 08:56 AM
My main carry is the Mag-na-ported P40, the P9 with ported Kahr 4" barrel, and then the PM45.

Does the ported barrel make much of a difference?