PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Shoots Armed Patient and its' Reported!

kahrseye
07-25-2014, 07:05 AM
http://www.ijreview.com/2014/07/160638-doctor-disobeyed-gun-free-zone/

CPTKILLER
07-25-2014, 07:47 AM
In Texas, that would be legal. The iffy part is wearing a pistol in a hospital under Texas Law.

However, this was in PA, so I'm not familiar with the legal ramifications.

downtownv
07-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks Doc!

RevRay
07-25-2014, 09:01 AM
I'll be curious to see how this all plays out. Will the doctor lose his job? Will the hospital choose to prosecute since he probably broke PA law by carrying in a place not authorized by the owner (and possibly even by state law). Will he be reprimanded by the state board of physicians or worse? Here in CT you could very possibly end up in jail for doing what he did.

mr surveyor
07-25-2014, 09:35 AM
In Texas, that would be legal. The iffy part is wearing a pistol in a hospital under Texas Law.

However, this was in PA, so I'm not familiar with the legal ramifications.

What "iffy part" about carrying in a Texas hospital? Unless the hospital is posted with the "Big Ugly" (30.06 signage), there is no violation for carrying in a hospital under Texas law. Same goes for nursing homes, churches, amusement parks and a couple of others. Seems that after 7-8 years of legislative changes many Texas CHL holders are still mis-informed on this.

JD

getsome
07-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Nice shooting while under fire and wounded Doc!!!!!The local Police Chief, Donald Molineux said that, "Without a doubt, I believe the Doctor saved many lives here...Without that firearm that guy (the shooter) could have went out in the hallway and into every office until he ran out of ammunition"......Wonder how much positive coverage this story will get in the lame stream media....

muggsy
07-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Sign? What Sign? I didn't see no stinking sign.

b4uqzme
07-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Option A) Doctor obeys gun free rule / Doctor is dead / but still has a job
Option B) Doctor disobeys gun free rule / Doctor and others are alive / but he may be fired.

I know what I choose.

ltxi
07-25-2014, 03:08 PM
I'll be curious to see how this all plays out. Will the doctor lose his job? Will the hospital choose to prosecute since he probably broke PA law by carrying in a place not authorized by the owner (and possibly even by state law). Will he be reprimanded by the state board of physicians or worse? Here in CT you could very possibly end up in jail for doing what he did.

There's no law against carrying in a hospital in PA.

b4uqzme
07-25-2014, 03:15 PM
There's no law against carrying in a hospital in PA.

Correct. But RevRay and I are curious about what the hospital or physician's state board will do. They have their own rules. While they cannot put the good doctor in jail, they can fire him or revoke his medical license.

Ken L
07-25-2014, 04:25 PM
If they revoke his license, could the folks that the doctor saved by his actions sue the hospital and/or the state board?

Longitude Zero
07-25-2014, 04:38 PM
Good for him. His medical license cannot be suspended nor revoked for what the did in virtually all 50 states. They can withdraw his medical privileges to practice at that hospital. He can always take his training and go elsewhere.

RevRay
07-25-2014, 07:10 PM
Please don't misunderstand ... I absolutely condone all that the good doctor did. But we live in a world where black is white and white is black. I'll be curious to see how this all plays out in the final analysis.

ltxi
07-25-2014, 07:53 PM
Correct. But RevRay and I are curious about what the hospital or physician's state board will do. They have their own rules. While they cannot put the good doctor in jail, they can fire him or revoke his medical license.

He saved a bunch of lives. No one is gonna screw with him. PA ain't NJ, etc.

swilcher7
07-25-2014, 08:11 PM
The hospital has a no weapons policy. No word yet if they (hospital) will punish him. It's amazing how they will praise him for saving lives but out of the other side of their mouths condemn him for violating policy.

codegeek
07-26-2014, 07:58 AM
ABC News reported the perp had a revolver. Two notable paraphrased quotes:

The doctor had been bringing his weapon and CCW to work for years, and we don't know why.
The perp had 39 more bullets!

O. M. G!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

knkali
07-26-2014, 10:14 AM
Good for him. His medical license cannot be suspended nor revoked for what the did in virtually all 50 states. They can withdraw his medical privileges to practice at that hospital. He can always take his training and go elsewhere.
Unfortunately, it can. The medical boards can make decisions that have nothing to do with the law. The boards that oversee professional licenses can do whatever they deem necessary to protect the public. Laws do not need to be broken for them to revoke, suspend or place a licensee on probation. BTW this facility did have a no gun policy.

Instead of being recognized for saving his own life and many others, this doctor will be crucified and hung out to dry. The medical board will probably lead the parade in destroying this doctors life. My two centavos.

SWrunner
07-26-2014, 11:17 AM
There will be tremendous pressure on the state board from the Republican-controlled legislature (where I work). Ultimately, however, the state board is in the executive branch, and our Republican governor is likely on his way out.

ltxi
07-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Unfortunately, it can. The medical boards can make decisions that have nothing to do with the law. The boards that oversee professional licenses can do whatever they deem necessary to protect the public. Laws do not need to be broken for them to revoke, suspend or place a licensee on probation. BTW this facility did have a no gun policy.

Instead of being recognized for saving his own life and many others, this doctor will be crucified and hung out to dry. The medical board will probably lead the parade in destroying this doctors life. My two centavos.

And I thought I was a pessimist!

DavidS
07-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Kudos to the doctor. Other than that, I don't think I'll get my panties in some sort of twist over what might happen to him.

Earle
07-26-2014, 10:43 PM
I anticipate no more than a routine admonishment. OTOH, I expect he will keep on carrying. (How he's doing that, if he's wearing scrubs, is beyond me, unless it's an ankle holster...

knkali
07-27-2014, 07:22 AM
Kudos to the doctor. Other than that, I don't think I'll get my panties in some sort of twist over what might happen to him.

you should. He is one of us.

knkali
07-27-2014, 07:24 AM
I anticipate no more than a routine admonishment. OTOH, I expect he will keep on carrying. (How he's doing that, if he's wearing scrubs, is beyond me, unless it's an ankle holster...

It seems that you are not a healthcare worker from the above statement. His professional life is probably over. If his medical license is revoked OR his ability to prescribe ( DEA License) pulled, either will ultimately have the same disastrous effect to his livelihood. Also, his ability to obtain malpractice insurance will be virtually impossible so his ability to practice even if his licenses are intact is questionable. Finally, he is a psychiatrist so he probably does not wear scrubs.

DavidS
07-27-2014, 07:54 PM
you should. He is one of us.
Let me restate.
Kudos to the doctor. I care what happens to him and wish him the best outcome. However, I am not going to get my panties in some sort of twist over a bunch of conjecture by people who are not privy to the official reactions. I will save that for when and if actual official intentions are presented that are detrimental to the doctors career. No sense getting all steamed up over a bunch of speculation.

SWrunner
07-28-2014, 07:57 AM
The district attorney is calling the doctor a hero, and his employer is looking forward to his return to work.

http://articles.philly.com/2014-07-27/news/52094464_1_whelan-caseworker-doctor

knkali
07-28-2014, 11:05 AM
that's great. Yet no word from the state licensing board nor the DEA so.....
I will make a full apology to the forum if I am wrong on this one. I am seldom wrong though.;)

Harrylee
07-29-2014, 04:07 PM
We get the philly news and I saw this story from the local news the doc is in no trouble with the hospital or the law. It seems both had 32's doc had 32 semi perp had a 32 revolver. Now I heard the doc hit him two up to three times with the 32 and he still needed to be tackled down. I’m glad to hear the doc had a gun BUT the caliber choice is beyond me, yes the perp killed one but that was point blank to the head other than that given any distance the 32 does not do much. So if the doc had a 9mm, 40cal or 45 what do you think the outcome would be? I don’t think he would have had much fight left in him. I’ll stay with 45acp thank you very much, I wish people would understand the caliber that they choose to carry to save their life. Just looking at the Hornady chart I have in front of me

32 auto 133 ft/lbs energy Hornady
9mm+p 369 ft/lbs energy Hornady
9mm+ Cor Bon jhp 466 ft/lbs energy Cor Bon ( my carry ammo)
40 cal 400 ft/lbs energy Hornady
45 acp federal 230 jhp 370 ft/lbs energy Federal( my carry ammo)

You need to be above 300 ft/lbs energy to be effective and the larger the bore adds to the wound cavity. This is my humble opinion, not every shot will be perfect so with that you need a round that will do the most damage and expand, I would say that anything below 9mm stay away from hollow points they don’t have the energy to expand and penetrate

ltxi
07-29-2014, 04:16 PM
We get the philly news and I saw this story from the local news the doc is in no trouble with the hospital or the law. It seems both had 32's doc had 32 semi perp had a 32 revolver. Now I heard the doc hit him two up to three times with the 32 and he still needed to be tackled down. I’m glad to hear the doc had a gun BUT the caliber choice is beyond me, yes the perp killed one but that was point blank to the head other than that given any distance the 32 does not do much. So if the doc had a 9mm, 40cal or 45 what do you think the outcome would be? I don’t think he would have had much fight left in him. I’ll stay with 45acp thank you very much, I wish people would understand the caliber that they choose to carry to save their life. Just looking at the Hornady chart I have in front of me

32 auto 133 ft/lbs energy Hornady
9mm+p 369 ft/lbs energy Hornady
9mm+ Cor Bon jhp 466 ft/lbs energy Cor Bon ( my carry ammo)
40 cal 400 ft/lbs energy Hornady
45 acp federal 230 jhp 370 ft/lbs energy Federal( my carry ammo)

You need to be above 300 ft/lbs energy to be effective and the larger the bore adds to the wound cavity. This is my humble opinion, not every shot will be perfect so with that you need a round that will do the most damage and expand, I would say that anything below 9mm stay away from hollow points they don’t have the energy to expand and penetrate

Old wives tale. Shot placement counts. A .22 short in an ear or eye cavity can be pretty debilitating....trust me on this.

Harrylee
07-29-2014, 04:44 PM
Agreed shot placement counts very highly but you have to draw at a very fast pace the first shot maybe a point shot without sights

DavidS
07-29-2014, 04:56 PM
I doubt that the doc or the perp were going for pinpoint accuracy in this situation. I doubt I would either and likely would not in most any situation where gunfire was being exchanged. I choose bigger caliber.

knkali
07-29-2014, 05:22 PM
I choose another city....................:rolleyes:

ltxi
07-29-2014, 06:54 PM
Agreed shot placement counts very highly but you have to draw at a very fast pace the first shot maybe a point shot without sights

True and agreed. But proficiency matters more than muzzle velocity/energy and >300 ft/lb for effectiveness is misleading at best. My u&c, run to the store, clip on arm is a 442 loaded with 125 gr sp NyClads. A lot less than 300 but I don't feel under protected. I'm decades good with this gun and this load.