PDA

View Full Version : CM45 Ejection port

wildguzzi
08-13-2014, 05:29 AM
Found a problem with my CM45. When trying to eject a live round, the round will get hung up in the ejection port. Scary little process to remove the live round too. I've noticed that the CM9 and CW380 that I have, both have rounded out ejection ports on the front of the slide. The CM45 is square and flat.

Has anyone rounded these out themselves? I'm thinking of doing it, but want to hear from others.

gb6491
08-13-2014, 07:50 AM
Found a problem with my CM45. When trying to eject a live round, the round will get hung up in the ejection port. Scary little process to remove the live round too. I've noticed that the CM9 and CW380 that I have, both have rounded out ejection ports on the front of the slide. The CM45 is square and flat.

Has anyone rounded these out themselves? I'm thinking of doing it, but want to hear from others.
I don't have a CM45, so please keep that in mind while reading the following:
We've had reports here of some Kahr 45 pistols exhibiting the issue you describe (you can read of one here: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?10123-P45-wont-extract-unfired-round).
What I believe is the difference between the guns that will eject live rounds without issue (My CW45 is one of these) and those that don't is that the barrel hood on the guns that don't have the issue have a pocket or "divot" machined into the barrel hood to provide extra clearance. You can see the divot on the left in the photo below:
http://i57.tinypic.com/2hzk0tu.jpg
If you barrel doesn't have a "divot" you might want to contact Kahr about service.

If it were mine, I'd probably just grind in a "divot" or add some relief to a divot that was already there. YMMV.
Regards,
Greg

BEARDOG
08-13-2014, 10:46 AM
My CM45 would not eject live rounds either, and I agree it was a bit difficult to un-jam.
Mine had the "divot" grind from the factory, but still needed light stoning and polishing to break the edges of the hood.
Greg has a excellent pic showing how to fix this. Post #7 in the link he posted above.
My CM45 works fine now. Easily ejects live WW-FMJ, Ranger 230+P, and my 200gr swc reloads.

wildguzzi
08-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Great replies! I appreciate the input. Will check it out tonight when I get home. Thanks much.

wildguzzi
08-13-2014, 05:00 PM
By golly, that was it. I trimmed a little off the barrel hood and it's working fine now. Thanks again for the input. I appreciate it.

CJB
08-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Curious to know if the slide itself has the extra cut that allows the bullet nose to clear the port... on the CM45. The PM45's have that !

yqtszhj
08-13-2014, 07:28 PM
Curious to know if the slide itself has the extra cut that allows the bullet nose to clear the port... on the CM45. The PM45's have that !
My cm45 doesnt have it. First thing I noticed.

wildguzzi
08-14-2014, 07:52 AM
No the CM45 don't have that port. I think because the barrel is a little longer, and the slide goes back far enough to eject the bullet as is.

DJK11
08-17-2014, 10:16 AM
No the CM45 don't have that port. I think because the barrel is a little longer, and the slide goes back far enough to eject the bullet as is.
PM = Premium Model
CM = Cheaper Model

Big bird
10-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Ha Ha.... Mine had the same problem, sanded the edge of the barrel hood and will see when I go to the range this week.

CJB
10-26-2014, 05:36 PM
This appears to be a live round only sort of thing. Wont happen when firing.

While it should be curable, you might have to drop the mag, and then clear the chamber, maybe have the live round fall down the mag well.

I know the PM45 does have some issues with live rounds. Mine loves long rounds, the longest thing that fits the magazine. If they are that long, then they will "just" catch on the forward edge of the port.

Interestingly, most 1911's like shorter rounds.