PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts on My Khar CM9 and Self- Defense

jkar4242
08-16-2014, 04:55 PM
At my age, 71, self-defense in the best of situations requires an equalizer. For most of us at this age the rock hard abs, for those that had them, have now gone south along with a certain bit of loss in reaction time. Truth is most situations that would require you to defend yourself will never be what you would expect and can never be taught in a classroom. At my age it is about prevailing by making the right decision when confronted by someone wanting to do you harm.
With that in mind here are a few thoughts from an old man. First, chose a weapon that works for your physical condition. Look for one that is easily concealable because your biggest advantage is they don’t know you have a gun. Self-defense is a matter of seconds and quick, sure access and presentation are keys to staying alive. Next remember that brand, price and what others suggest, while are things to be considered, they are not the standard to follow. You will only know for sure if the weapon is the right choice after you have worked with it for a while. Three things…the weapon is quick to hand, fires every time I pull the trigger and hits where I aim.
So what is next? You have chosen to carry, you have chosen a weapon and you have worked with it enough that you know its capabilities and your limitations. Personal protection is just that, up close and personal. Do everything you can to avoid showing or using your weapon but if you must, do it right and do it well. I like the weaver stance because I can tuck in close or thrust out. Remember that cardboard and paper don’t shoot back or move and you don’t know if you will be standing, sitting, lying down or in your car; so learn to use the weapon in as many different positions as possible. About my KHAR CM9, belonging to a gun club afforded me the opportunity to handle and shoot a number of different weapons, calibers and sizes. The Khar CM9 met these requirements that were important to me. Easily concealable, quick to hand, fired every time I pulled the trigger and was accurate at self-defense distances.
jkar

DavidS
08-16-2014, 05:09 PM
Thank you for sharing.

deadeye
08-16-2014, 05:23 PM
From another old guy. Right on!!! Got my CM9 for the same reasons. I have a good collection but for some reason we bonded from the start.

mser
08-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Great advice, for the young and not so young (anymore) alike.

forestranger
08-16-2014, 07:06 PM
I like the CW9 a little better for IWB carry but for pocket carry, nothing beats my CM9 IMHO. It shoots as easy and accurate as the CW or even the CT9. A number of years ago, a very large man in a dark parking lot and wearing a heavy, hooded coat "talked" me out of pocket carrying tiny .380s.

yqtszhj
08-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Good post. Thanks. I've recently been thinking on these things even though im a couple of decades your junior. I remember another member here that changed from kahr I believe but it was fof the same reasons you mentioned.

RRP
08-17-2014, 02:38 AM
~ First, chose a weapon that works for your physical condition. Look for one that is easily concealable because your biggest advantage is they don’t know you have a gun. Self-defense is a matter of seconds and quick, sure access and presentation are keys to staying alive. Next remember that brand, price and what others suggest, while are things to be considered, they are not the standard to follow. You will only know for sure if the weapon is the right choice after you have worked with it for a while. Three things…the weapon is quick to hand, fires every time I pull the trigger and hits where I aim.
So what is next? You have chosen to carry, you have chosen a weapon and you have worked with it enough that you know its capabilities and your limitations. Personal protection is just that, up close and personal. Do everything you can to avoid showing or using your weapon but if you must, do it right and do it well. I like the weaver stance because I can tuck in close or thrust out. Remember that cardboard and paper don’t shoot back or move and you don’t know if you will be standing, sitting, lying down or in your car; so learn to use the weapon in as many different positions as possible. About my KHAR CM9, belonging to a gun club afforded me the opportunity to handle and shoot a number of different weapons, calibers and sizes. The Khar CM9 met these requirements that were important to me. Easily concealable, quick to hand, fired every time I pulled the trigger and was accurate at self-defense distances.
jkar

The advice you provide is good information for all shooters. Great post. But there is one omission of critical importance which gets very little attention on this forum: the judicious use of deadly force.

Access and reliability are important. Knowing how to use the tool is equally important. Knowing WHEN to use the tool (or not to use) is of highest importance.

b4uqzme
08-17-2014, 04:34 AM
The advice you provide is good information for all shooters. Great post. But there is one omission of critical importance which gets very little attention on this forum: the judicious use of deadly force.

Access and reliability are important. Knowing how to use the tool is equally important. Knowing WHEN to use the tool (or not to use) is of highest importance.

And being of the correct mindset that you CAN use deadly force WHEN it's necessary. Good addition to a good thread RRP. Train your brain too.

muggsy
08-17-2014, 05:29 AM
I like the CW9 a little better for IWB carry but for pocket carry, nothing beats my CM9 IMHO. It shoots as easy and accurate as the CW or even the CT9. A number of years ago, a very large man in a dark parking lot and wearing a heavy, hooded coat "talked" me out of pocket carrying tiny .380s.

A .380 is far better than no gun at all. Heavy coats require ball ammunition for good penetration.

Bill K
08-17-2014, 06:30 AM
To what has already been posted I would add that you practice a lot of point shooting. Time/distance may not allow you to take a stance, align your sites and fire your gun before you're shot, stabbed or hit several times.

RRP
08-17-2014, 07:08 AM
And being of the correct mindset that you CAN use deadly force WHEN it's necessary. Good addition to a good thread RRP. Train your brain too.

You're absolutely right about that, and doing so requires a lot of soul searching, before one is faced with that decision. Good post.

CPTKILLER
08-17-2014, 08:37 AM
I'm a 67 year old vet. My Kahr MK9 as a concealed carry situation equalizer. In every metro city in Texas, we old farts are targets and despite a desire to be as tough as a 17-22 year old thug, we aren't as tough as we once were.

For me here in Austin, Texas, my Kahr MK9 goes with me everywhere backed up by a CZ 83 in the console of my Jeep.

There have been recent incidents here where a handgun made a difference although I won't discuss it on the internet. Each time I was a 100% within Texas Law.

Earle
08-17-2014, 02:52 PM
At my age, 71, self-defense in the best of situations requires an equalizer. For most of us at this age the rock hard abs, for those that had them, have now gone south along with a certain bit of loss in reaction time. Truth is most situations that would require you to defend yourself will never be what you would expect and can never be taught in a classroom. At my age it is about prevailing by making the right decision when confronted by someone wanting to do you harm.
With that in mind here are a few thoughts from an old man. First, chose a weapon that works for your physical condition. Look for one that is easily concealable because your biggest advantage is they don’t know you have a gun. Self-defense is a matter of seconds and quick, sure access and presentation are keys to staying alive. Next remember that brand, price and what others suggest, while are things to be considered, they are not the standard to follow. You will only know for sure if the weapon is the right choice after you have worked with it for a while. Three things…the weapon is quick to hand, fires every time I pull the trigger and hits where I aim.
jkarGood post. I came back to EDC because of being involved in an embezzlement investigation where two suspects have been murdered so far. After I started, I realized that I was more comfortable with it, particularly in areas where I knew there had been strong-arm robberies before. I'm even older - 75, later this year. By luck, my reflexes have not materially declined. I can still catch something dropped before it hits the ground and my eyesight has stayed strong. I'm not wearing glasses now and I don't have to driving either. However, when it comes to muscle mass and strength, I have to admit that I could far more easily be overpowered than ten or twenty years ago. Incidentally, I came to the same choice of gun that you did. It just disappears, even in cargo shorts...

CJB
08-17-2014, 03:48 PM
jkar

Well said, except you don't need to be old in order to justify any of your points. They're spot on, regardless of age.

jkar4242
08-17-2014, 07:35 PM
To what has already been posted I would add that you practice a lot of point shooting. Time/distance may not allow you to take a stance, align your sites and fire your gun before you're shot, stabbed or hit several times.
You are so right! When you get past the movies there is no script, you take what you can get.

jkar

marshal kane
08-18-2014, 07:56 AM
Ditto all the previous posts. Would just like to add that being an armed senior citizen is not the entire equation. Many of us of various ages are not trained in the martial arts, 6'3", or weigh 200 lbs, and that includes the ladies. IMO, carrying for personal protection is a matter of choice to fit your situation regardless of age or physical condition.

TheLastDaze
08-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Good thread, thanks for posting... I will add that I feel 70 although im 44, just at the age where Im realizing its harder to do the thingz I did just 10 yrs ago.....

I agree that nothing can be taught in the classroom regarding self defense, but training can be taught extensively with professionals.. personally I think any legal permit holder would be doing themselves injustice by merely shooting at paper and working on muscle memory, though important, nothing beats professional training with real world scenarios.. At my club thats my next step once I get my ccl, yes believe it or not Im not legal to carry yet, but its still my 2A right!!! Go figure

pbagley
08-22-2014, 07:43 AM
Excellent thread. Thank you for posting, Mr. jkar4242. I cannot add a thing, other than a recommendation to maintain your skill level by practicing. One cannot expect to be accurate if they never visit the range and fire a box or two of ammo. Lack of accuracy is dangerous, both to you and to anything down range should you ever be in the very unfortunate circumstance of needing to defend yourself.

marcinstl
08-22-2014, 10:30 AM
you have the element of surprise(old fat guys don't carry and can't shoot). you can keep a couple of magazines of ammo on target at the range(Kahr's are "combat accurate"). you have a good, thick gun belt and a good holster, you practice, practice the draw. (maybe you have a "man bag" with holster inside, comfortable carry and works good in a car). the range probably won't let you work from the holster, so practice from "low ready", bring gun up a little and put a round in the target from what would look like a high hip shooting position, as you bring the gun up(finger on the frame), give it a little push, like throwing a small punch, finger goes to trigger, bang. do this right and left handed. put the target 5-7 feet out. this is gut shooting. next practice with the gun raised to where your looking over it, arm is straighter. put that little punch in there and shoot twice. bad guy didn't think grandpa was going to be fast and good did he? sights and 2 hand shooting is for target shooting, point shooting is for speed.
(having said all of that, don't burn out on combat practice, have a fun day at the range once and awhile, rent something like a S&W mdl.66, 6" barrel and shoot a box of .38spl.-- you'll be amazed. in a 40oz. revolver shooting 38spl. there's no recoil, no slides cycling, hot brass flying, just you lining up the front and rear sights over the 6" barrel and turning the bullseye into a hole. I call that, "big fun"). good luck.

4xglock
09-06-2014, 12:17 PM
I am in the same boat, and I totally agree.

marcinstl
09-06-2014, 01:45 PM
jkar42,
thanks. very good thread.
we're old retired guys, we have the time to drive around the parking lot and check it out. when walking we aren't texting or talking. give a wide berth to vans and pickups where somebody could be hiding on the other side. no parking garages. we might be old, but we aren't dumb and damn sure not victims. everybody that's carrying went thur some sort of (joke) CCW class, maybe picked up more info on the internet. where's the level 2 or 3 classes? where's a class that walks you thru what happens in a shooting and how to talk to cops(name, rank, serial number and keep repeating, "need lawyer"). I'm not spending money with some tactical dude who's going to show me how to shoot targets 2 handed. I want a class that shows me how to shoot over my shoulder as I'm running away. I want a class that shows me how to get out of the holster and get a shot(s) off from the hip. I want a class on talking to the 911 operator-- screaming, "hello, I'm deaf, I'm at (location) and there's a man or men bleeding, send cops and ambulance". hangup! call lawyer. no other threat, holster gun. try to get cellphone pictures and guard the scene-- everybody back, nobody touches anything.
if you've got your little state permit and are carrying, that should be, just the beginning of an education.
is there an "Old guys that carry" forum?

kwh
09-06-2014, 02:23 PM
^^Totally agree. Need classes on perfect practice to form good habits.^^

BucketBack
09-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Good post. I came back to EDC because of being involved in an embezzlement investigation where two suspects have been murdered so far. After I started, I realized that I was more comfortable with it, particularly in areas where I knew there had been strong-arm robberies before. I'm even older - 75, later this year. By luck, my reflexes have not materially declined. I can still catch something dropped before it hits the ground and my eyesight has stayed strong. I'm not wearing glasses now and I don't have to driving either. However, when it comes to muscle mass and strength, I have to admit that I could far more easily be overpowered than ten or twenty years ago. Incidentally, I came to the same choice of gun that you did. It just disappears, even in cargo shorts...

I have "big" pockets in my cargo shorts too.

TheLastDaze
09-06-2014, 04:47 PM
jkar42,
thanks. very good thread.
we're old retired guys, we have the time to drive around the parking lot and check it out. when walking we aren't texting or talking. give a wide berth to vans and pickups where somebody could be hiding on the other side. no parking garages. we might be old, but we aren't dumb and damn sure not victims. everybody that's carrying went thur some sort of (joke) CCW class, maybe picked up more info on the internet. where's the level 2 or 3 classes? where's a class that walks you thru what happens in a shooting and how to talk to cops(name, rank, serial number and keep repeating, "need lawyer"). I'm not spending money with some tactical dude who's going to show me how to shoot targets 2 handed. I want a class that shows me how to shoot over my shoulder as I'm running away. I want a class that shows me how to get out of the holster and get a shot(s) off from the hip. I want a class on talking to the 911 operator-- screaming, "hello, I'm deaf, I'm at (location) and there's a man or men bleeding, send cops and ambulance". hangup! call lawyer. no other threat, holster gun. try to get cellphone pictures and guard the scene-- everybody back, nobody touches anything.
if you've got your little state permit and are carrying, that should be, just the beginning of an education.
is there an "Old guys that carry" forum?

good post sir... lol at the 'old guys that carry'.... I would suggest looking up a local forum, love our local gun forum here in OK, you will get a lot of info from locals on there on places to train, much, much more than you would talking to someone behind the counter at your local gun store... Here in OK there is USSA which holds events, and masters from all over the world come, I'm sure there is a place like that everywhere in the US.. They have combat classes, edge classes, SD handgun training you name it.... If you don't for some reason have a place like that where you live I highly suggest you find an IDPA match somewhere and go check it out, you will learn by watching... IDPA is probably the most defensive hands on, real world training you can get for the price....