PDA

View Full Version : CT 40 Issues

renothecat
08-20-2014, 06:02 AM
Newbie here to the forum - but not to Kahr's. I now have 3. I recently bought the CT 40. The first 200 rounds were an exercise in frustration. After EVERY round I had to hit the back of the slide for the round to fully chamber. I never had any break-in issues with my CW 9 or CW 45 but this one was awful. But it did go away (for the most part) after the first 200 rounds. Then I noticed that my point of impact was way off from point of aim. On a bench rest at 10 yards it was 1" right and 2" high. I was able to tap the rear sight and get it centered but have no clue what to do about it shooting high. Aiming 2" low all the time kinda sucks. Anyone have this issue? I've emailed Kahr directly and they want me to send it back for inspection -and to this point they also want me to pay for postage which I don't think is right since the gun is brand new and less than 30 days old. So - hopefully they do the right thing here. In the meantime, curious if anyone else has had a similar experience. Thanks!

berettabone
08-20-2014, 07:14 AM
Welcome.................I noticed that my MK9 shoots low.......................I just raise the front sight up a tad. Before I start tinkering with sights, I will adjust to the firearm first................all sights are different.

hardluk1
08-20-2014, 09:48 AM
Did you check that the ammo fits in the barrels chamber correctly?? Did you do a plunk and rotate test. Same ammo used in other kahrs?? I like to have different brands , even a quality carry ammo to try early on like a speer gd 165 or 155gr. I could say the shooting high right was do to stress and new pistol trigger.

I have a tp40 than a sweet heart and never fired a 180gr load, only 155gr 165gr . I have read that the 45s can be OAL picky. Some ammo is just to long for them.

BucketBack
08-30-2014, 07:24 AM
1" right and 2" high @10 yards is called a bullseye by me. A.K.A. Center Mass.

hardluk1
08-30-2014, 09:30 AM
Guess he's done with us !

jocko
08-30-2014, 10:26 AM
amen to that statement. WTF is a 40 cal pocket cannon smaller than any 40 made, lighter than any 40 made.Changing site picture will easily take care of the ups and down. Left and rights, he took care of. Shoot the fokker like u stole it. If u want a target gun BUY a target gun. He outta go out with ol jocko at 7 yards and he will wioth his group go home a very prouod man. I bet if he p;ut in some snap caps in his 30 roundss of live ammo and let someone load the magfazine for him that it will show him exactly why those groups are where their at to. unknown snap caps will quiet most people who blame the gun down fast. Just sayin

hardluk1
09-04-2014, 09:02 AM
I'd give um 50 bucks for that junk pistol? snap caps mixed in sure do show bad habits.

BucketBack
09-06-2014, 08:03 AM
I have no use for snap caps. I just use my cases I test OAL with. I fill in the primer pocket with hot glue.

renothecat
09-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Yikes - a lot of hostility here for not responding sooner. I apologize - I don't have as much free time as I would like to post/read this forum (and I didn't receive any notification that someone responded to my post.) I have used my SWC reloads, factory winchester white box, and some self defense hollow points. Same result with all the different types of rounds. All the rounds were very tight fitting in the chamber, probably too tight, during the first few hundred shots. I didn't check it after that. Yes - changing the sight picture obviously compensates for the issue but the change is too severe in my opinion - and the folks at Kahr have agreed with me as they have taken the pistol back and paid for the shipping to fix the problem. Again - sorry I didn't reply sooner.

berettabone
09-10-2014, 11:32 AM
It's good that you sent in in, so they can rectify any problems................................I found that when "dotting the eye" with white sights touching, I was hitting low, so now I just leave a bit of black between the two and it's pretty accurate. I usually never tinker with sights. I usually try to adjust to the sights. It's not a target gun. It's not meant to be a target gun. No hostility from me..............................:rolleyes:

HSparrow
09-10-2014, 03:20 PM
I generally do not use my sites I shoot both right/left handed with both eyes open. It generally feels more natural to me even when I was in the military I still scored expert. The only time I use my sites was on a rifle now I use a scope getting old.

BucketBack
09-16-2014, 09:24 AM
Newbie here to the forum - but not to Kahr's. I now have 3. I recently bought the CT 40. The first 200 rounds were an exercise in frustration. After EVERY round I had to hit the back of the slide for the round to fully chamber. I never had any break-in issues with my CW 9 or CW 45 but this one was awful. But it did go away (for the most part) after the first 200 rounds. Then I noticed that my point of impact was way off from point of aim. On a bench rest at 10 yards it was 1" right and 2" high. I was able to tap the rear sight and get it centered but have no clue what to do about it shooting high. Aiming 2" low all the time kinda sucks. Anyone have this issue? I've emailed Kahr directly and they want me to send it back for inspection -and to this point they also want me to pay for postage which I don't think is right since the gun is brand new and less than 30 days old. So - hopefully they do the right thing here. In the meantime, curious if anyone else has had a similar experience. Thanks!
I'm having the same problems as you only worse.
At 21 feet I'm shooting 2 " low,and 2" to the left.
I wonder if I should contact Kahr directly about fixing the sights. Plus there is some flash around the magazine opening in the grip.;)

Plus the one magazine supplied isn't that good. It keeps running out of ammo.

hardluk1
09-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Did you try shooting from a rest like sand bags or front rifle rest sitting down well supported. That tends to take all the shack rattle and twist out of pulling the trigger. ?? That can show what really is going on , or let another shooter try it both from a rest and standing and firing.

Mag running out of ammo , funny, hehehehe. Bad mag.

BucketBack
09-17-2014, 08:43 AM
Did you try shooting from a rest like sand bags or front rifle rest sitting down well supported. That tends to take all the shack rattle and twist out of pulling the trigger. ?? That can show what really is going on , or let another shooter try it both from a rest and standing and firing.

Mag running out of ammo , funny, hehehehe. Bad mag.

You should read my post #4 earlier in this thread ;)

hardluk1
09-18-2014, 07:50 AM
Well if your #4 post was suppose to say something referring to benchrest to you. OK. Not to me , sorry. If you shoot from a rest high right and low left free hand its not a gun problem but a shooter issue.
Still say see what another small gun shooter can do.

BucketBack
09-18-2014, 07:57 AM
Well if your #4 post was suppose to say something referring to benchrest to you. OK. Not to me , sorry. If you shoot from a rest high right and low left free hand its not a gun problem but a shooter issue.
Still say see what another small gun shooter can do.
The post would seem to imply that what I'm shooting is close enough for me. I have a benchrest for my 25 yard target. Actually it's a window ledge in the barn.

It is in reference to the OP's issue, I was asking him if I should send my CT-40 in for repair.:rolleyes: