PDA

View Full Version : PM9's recoil spring photos

deadhead1971
06-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Here is the spring report as promised on another thread. Summer is in a few days.

In the spirit of analyzing all aspects of this gun to death, I submit to you the folllowing for your review, commentary, and analysis.

From left to right...

Left--recoil spring from Kahr with 50 rounds fired
Middle--recoil spring from Kahr with 1,400 rds fired (it has been retired)
Right--recoil spring from Wolf--brand spanking new out of the package

All are 18 lb springs. After taking the photo, I noticed that the right 2 springs are facing the opposite direction as the spring at the far left. Oops..sorry

jocko
06-18-2010, 09:11 AM
not much difference between the 50 and 1400 round springs. To me kinda tells me that at 1400 they are still good to go. Right spring IMO is very typical of what a new spring should look like. Nice photo

Bawanna
06-18-2010, 10:35 AM
No surprises. Look just the way I would expect. While retiring the 1400 spring is wise, I agree it would still work if needed. I have to make sure I mark old springs so I dont get them mixed up. I don't throw anything away. Hate to put the new spring in the drawer and reinstall the old one. Be kind of silly.
Thanks much for posting the pic and your efforts.

pjoe
07-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Has anyone replaced the PM9 factory 18lb. recoil spring with the Wolff 20.5 lb. spring?

Ljutic
07-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Has anyone replaced the PM9 factory 18lb. recoil spring with the Wolff 20.5 lb. spring?

I'm sure Jocko will also comment on this since he recommends the 20.5 from Wolff. I have a couple of the 20.5's and a factory 18 coming from Wolff any day now. I'm going to try them both and see if I notice any difference.

jocko
07-26-2010, 01:36 PM

all I have on my PM9 now and have for the past year plus. I change outter spring less often . It willnot hurt the gun, wolffs tests these things out better than I think the gun makers do. The wolfs springs come as a set, with the inner spring and the outter spring. For the first time only I did take that nut off the end (with some heat) and replaced the little inner spring with the spring in the 20.5# set and the outter springs. Locktite that end cap back on and it willbe good to go. I now just change the outter big spring only, as I just don't see the necessity to change the inner spring. Being my PM9 is magna ported, I can say with this total combination the gun shoots like a dream. that second shot is just right there wiaing on me to"jerk" the damn trigger.

Odd thing is that kahrs PM9 and PM40 use the same 18# recoil spring set up which to me seems very light in the PM40 for sure, so the 20.5# IMO is just super for the PM40 kahrs.

It will make it alittle difficult to hand rack but I have so many rounds through my PM9 that I can hand rack it with ease, where as in the beginning I had issues trying todo so. But rounds down range in kahrs certainly smooths things out. My PM9 is still very tight but just totally smooth.

Now I won't repeat this to much either but today I went to the range with my older brother and we took my PM9, my G19 and my Ruger MK`11.

I hit the 30,000+ round mark in my PM9 today and I just cannot remember having one issue witht his gun since day one. It shoots like a dream, but at 7 yards with my G19 (tuned also) I can shoot groups of 10 rounds all touching each other and with my PM9, same distance. groupls are 4 inches at best. But this PM9 is onehell of a shooter and I realize the looooo0ng trigger is my problem for accuracy, compared to my G19. But 4" at 7 yards, I am sure the BG will not notice, I just love to shoot this PM9 more than any gun I own and who ever said kahrs won't last is well u know???????:popcorn:

TroyKoi
07-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Hey Guys - what the heck is the # spring on the PM 45? Not sure I wrote that correctly -
Thanks -

jocko
07-27-2010, 04:51 AM
Hey Guys - what the heck is the # spring on the PM 45? Not sure I wrote that correctly -
Thanks -

best answered by the kahr people as right now I don't see wolffs showing any recoil springs for the PM45. drop kahr an email, they will reply back.. Takes wolffs about a year + to come out with recoil springs for a new model gun. They need to IMO get some springs out for the cw series kahrs...

bayoutrigger
07-27-2010, 05:49 AM
I thought Wolff made the factory springs for Kahr? Wondering if their is any advantage to ordering from Wolff instead of Kahr?

wyntrout
07-27-2010, 07:17 AM
If they have the springs you need, they're cheaper at Wolff... and maybe faster and cheaper delivery. I keep checking for .45 springs, but no luck, yet.
Wynn:D