PDA

View Full Version : DMT Diasharp knife sharpeners

jeep45238
06-18-2010, 06:37 PM
These suckers ROCK!

They're diamond sharpeners, with a continual surface of monocrystalline industrial diamonds for a consistent height above the plate (and an even honing surface), with plate surfaces guaranteed within +/- .001"

The sharpeners are available in lengths from 4 inches to 11.5 inches long, and up to 4 inches wide - the 10 inch hones have 40 square inches of diamond to do your bidding with :D

That said, got a double sided 6x2 inch hone, with extra coarse on one side, and fine on the other. The extra coarse is rated at 220 grit, while the fine is rated at 600 grit. I got this instead of two separate stones because it's cheaper. I got 2 grits for $36 plus shipping, instead of $32 a pop with this particular hone.

I'm using this hone to re-profile most of my knives to a scandi grind, which I'll follow up with a small microbevel made by a 1500 grit ceramic hone. All in the name of sharper tools, which means that the blades are less likely to slip out of the workpiece unreliably and injure myself or somebody else. Keep in mind, sharp knives aren't safer, they're just less likely to slip :wink:

WOW is all I can say about these hones. I'm almost half way done with re-profiling a plain edge 3.5" factory knife blade in under an hour, a process that used to take me over 3 hours for the same progress - and that was with silicone carbide sandpaper on glass. Just put a little bit of water on the hones to keep the metal filings from packing up on the diamonds and you're good to go.

For a speed comparison, DMT claims that the work which would require about 10 minutes on an Arkansas stone takes a mere 20 seconds with their hones - and I believe it. They also go up to 8,000 grit for those folks that shun diamond, thinking that it's way too rough for a good edge :wink:

These hones have made me look into starting a knife sharpening business at gun shows - but if you like sharpening knives by hand, look into their hones. The time you save is amazing for the results you get.

kahrseye
06-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey Jeep, do these sharpeners work on graphite blades? I have a couple of knives like that and was told to only send them back to the factory for sharpening.

jeep45238
06-19-2010, 06:26 AM
I really wouldn't try to sharpen a ceramic yourself. The mechanics are totally different from sharpening steel.

Yes, the 8000 grit DMT Diasharp could likely sharpen the blade (well, mechanically speaking, it absolutely can) - but I wouldn't attempt it myself.

Boker knives?

jlottmc
06-19-2010, 08:03 AM
I use my old stones and such, and do quite well. I do use a diamond rod to get the initial edge profile done, but I decrease the angle of entry, and have had more than a few people tell me that my blades are WAY too sharp. I have thought about some of the DMT hones, especially for field use (camping, hunting etc.) As for the ceramic knives, yes mechanically diamond is the only thing harder, but I wouldn't try that one on myself. They may have been done with a slackbelt technique that is amazing and the rolled edge profile that it gives is sharper and more durable than traditional bevels. Incidentally, that is how a katana is sharpened with that rolled profile.