PDA

View Full Version : My groupings for today(archery)

knkali
09-06-2014, 07:05 PM
this my 50 yrd group. Got a flier but group is OK could be a lot better got work to do.
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc402/kahrp40/20140906_101434_zpscd2b39a3.jpg (http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/kahrp40/media/20140906_101434_zpscd2b39a3.jpg.html)
This is one arrow at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 yrds. Guess which one is at 60...
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc402/kahrp40/20140906_110127_zpsab170627.jpg (http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/kahrp40/media/20140906_110127_zpsab170627.jpg.html)

jocko
09-06-2014, 07:08 PM
wow 50 yards. I bowhnted for over 35 years and never got tht good at 25 yards even. course these compunds today and varbon arrow it is a whole new b all game. Excellent shooting to day the least..

GLOCKROCKER
09-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Nice work Kali! I've been shooting bows for the last 25 years give or take and don't think I've ever even practiced at 50 yards. Really used to like shooting my bow for hours at a time but a f..ked up shoulder won't let me do that any more. I bought a crossbow for hunting a few years back, but it's just not the same. I can still shoot my compound but no more long sessions. I've never been a hardcore bow hunter anyway, but really enjoyed getting together with buddies and shooting. I'm old school and don't use a release, I learned to shoot fingers and still do. Looks to me like you straightened out the learning curve pretty quick. Enjoy your new hobby!

kwh
09-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Impressive!

headache
09-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Looks pretty good! Bow season starts the 15th here in Mo. We've been gettin our muscles warmed up for a few weeks now. My 11 year old daughter is gonna try this year

knkali
09-06-2014, 09:37 PM
thank you for the kind words guys. It means a lot to me. I am humbled by some of the guys on the range. The groups I posted were the best of the day so I am sandbagging a little here. I'll keep working at it. It is addicting. I love it. Any pointers you guys can give will always be welcomed. That 60 yrd mark is a beetch. 50 is annoying but 60 is another animal. Amazing how 10 yeds makes such a big dif in this sport(at least for me). Going out tomorrow to fling a few more at 60.

muggsy
09-07-2014, 06:16 AM
thank you for the kind words guys. It means a lot to me. I am humbled by some of the guys on the range. The groups I posted were the best of the day so I am sandbagging a little here. I'll keep working at it. It is addicting. I love it. Any pointers you guys can give will always be welcomed. That 60 yrd mark is a beetch. 50 is annoying but 60 is another animal. Amazing how 10 yeds makes such a big dif in this sport(at least for me). Going out tomorrow to fling a few more at 60.

It all has to do with the rainbow trajectory. Do the deer a favor and don't try to take him at more than 40 yards max. The closer the better. Have respect for the animal. A well placed shot will take it humanely. A poorly placed shot will leave the deer to suffer and you may not recover the deer at all.

garyb
09-07-2014, 06:33 AM
Good shooting. Move on back to 60 and 70. The longer distances magnify your shooting errors. By picking these errors up, you will shoot much better at the bow "hunting" distances out to 20-40 yrds on whitetail....with 40 being a stretch. You will find that shooting bow or handgun at longer distances will magnify your shooting flaws (not the gun or bow flaws), which will in turn help you to correct things like smooth release (or trigger pull), follow through (keeping on the target after the arrow or bullet is long gone), holding rock steady, etc.... You won't necessarily pick these flaws up at closer distances (20 yrds with the bow; or 7 feet with the handgun). Anyone can shoot those close distances well. Your improvement will come from longer distances. Glad to see your are still at the archery sport. I'm shooting out to 60 yrds now and this helps me on the 3D courses to hit 20-50 yrd kills 26 out of 28 arrows, with only 2 wounds per round. By Oct 1st bow season opener, I will have improved on that, because I am practicing at the longer distances 60-70 yrds.

Bill K
09-07-2014, 07:04 AM
Nice shooting.

Do you bow hunt?... Time to get yourself a 3D target and practice out of position, on uneven ground, wearing hunting clothing and from a tree stand or out of a blind depending on how you intend to hunt.

I love it all. Shoot primitive, trad, did compound sights and release for a few years, crossbow and currently messing with an old Hoyt compound shooting it barebow.

knkali
09-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Nice shooting.

Do you bow hunt?... Time to get yourself a 3D target and practice out of position, on uneven ground, wearing hunting clothing and from a tree stand or out of a blind depending on how you intend to hunt.

I love it all. Shoot primitive, trad, did compound sights and release for a few years, crossbow and currently messing with an old Hoyt compound shooting it barebow.

No I don't. I've killed enough in my life but I understand that herds need to be managed so I have nothing against those that do. I eventually want to get proficient enough to do 3D archery. It seems like a great pastime.