PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to say, new PM9 - problem!

CJB
09-07-2014, 04:51 PM
The new PM9 has an issue. Not yet fired (except for factory test rounds).

The trigger bar has been "fit" by the factory in a most unsatisfactory manner.

They filed or ground the nub that interacts with the half moon cutout in the slide, and its like a point on top. What happens is, even with hand cycling, the pointy nub gets caught between the slide and frame instead of being pushed down. Why they did that, I don't know. It appears the trigger bar is bent and they were trying to get it to rise up under spring tension. It still doesn't rise up all the time.

If they REALLY want it back, I'll send it, but it would be more cost effective, and probably end up with a better repair, if they just send be the part, or hell.... I'll BUY the part. Jeeze.

DavidR
09-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Ugh

kerby9mm
09-07-2014, 05:58 PM
From your description it sounds like the trigger bar was forced in thus getting bent by someone like me that doesn't know how to put it in properly & not a skilled Kahr assembler.

CJB
09-07-2014, 06:39 PM
My own guess is the part was a little fubar, and someone "on the line:" decided to make it work.

Its the weekend now, but at work I've got my tiny Torx drivers..... I'll call Kahr, see what they say. Worst case out I'm departing with what.... $14 for a new part. I can do that. This is my 4th Kahr. I've delved deeply into the construction, the design, how everything works, and how everything is supposed to work. My thoughts being my own.... but I think (ahem) I've got the skillz to pay the billz on this one, even if I have to but the new part.

Considering that hand racking the slide causes the problem to be quite evident, its a wonder that they were able to test fire the weapon at all.

DONT GET ME WRONG!!!!!!

I am not... repeat.... NOT! ... knocking Kahr here. I think somebody tried to do right, and didn't quite get as it ought to be. Its ok!!! The design, the concept... the principles of mechanics, the dynamics of the deisgn... all sound. I can easily live with human error as the culprit. Just make it right, and move on!

kahrnut1
09-07-2014, 07:00 PM
3 of my kahrs have grind marks on that peak that were made after parts were finished and they work fine. i would think that the part is twisted rather than being ground to thin. just my 2 cents worth

CJB
09-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Maybe so.... my thought is it was twisted "away" from the frame, caught, and they tried to correct it with the grind. Could be twisted, bent... whatever. Bottom line - it snags in the slide, and needs a new part.

Hope Kahr had their happy pills this weekend!

kerby9mm
09-07-2014, 07:35 PM
CJB you have been around here & I don't doubt your ability to fix the trigger bar but what if something else is amiss on it & you have worked on it what might Kahr do about your warranty.

CJB
09-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Kerby9mm, I don't think there'll be a problem. Everything else is good to go. BTW, one sweet, sweet trigger in terms of smoothness. This one needs no smoothing to get "that Kahr feel".

The barrel lockup is fine. That is always my biggest concern.

If I replace a part, with another stock part - Kahr will need to demonstrate how that effected some other situation - according to the Magnuson-Moss Act. I don't think there would ever be a problem. The greater problem is if I draw the pistol and it goes bank-click!

Thanks for the concern tho.

~~

One time, it took me about three sets of parts to learn how to get a Python in time, and have a great trigger pull. That was a challenge! I ended up with a nice 4" P-snake that had one sweet sweet pull and was perfectly in time. I think I can follow the threads of mechanisms fairly well. I've got guys that work for me, they're all about intricate testing, logging data, research and prognostication..... not me. I like to "observe the nature of the beast". Get to know how it ought ot work on an intimate level. Perhaps old school, but while the other guys are trying to do the math on vectors and angles, writing programs that show the probable statistical outcome, I just set up the surface grinder and trim a few c-hairs from here or there, and make the fokker work!

~~

Kerb ol bean, thanks for the caution. Its just not the CJB way...... if ya want it fixed RIGHT, fix it yerself! Nobody left to blame but that ugly mug in the mirror, right? RIGHT!