PDA

View Full Version : Pics from class this weekend

TD2K
09-23-2014, 06:39 AM
I was asked to help coach at a Rangemaster instructor development class last weekend here in Oklahoma. Since there were an odd number of students I got to shoot a bit. Tom paired me with Mike Seeklander on Friday, NO PRESSURE. Mike was awesome, I plan to take some classes from him in the future. I'm not sure I was able to help him all that much though, lol.
On Sunday Tom asked me to shoot the Rangemaster Instructor Qual course with the group. I shot it cold, with another instructor's gun that I said "I'd like to try later today". Again, NO PRESSURE. I shot a 241/250. 96.4%
Whew. Good times.
The gun I shot for the qual was an M&P Pro .40 with an Apex Forward set sear and Trigger and a reset assist mechanism. It felt like a 1911 trigger, pretty darn sweet. He had also dropped in a 9mm conversion barrel. I might have to add that to my "wish list", or just steal one of hubby's M&Ps and mod it out. I really liked that trigger.
I learned a lot about coaching over the weekend, had some awesome mentors helping. I've taken the class twice over the last 2 years, but being on the "other side" during the class was a great experience.
In the last pic Tom looks like he's getting ready to smack me up side the head for something. I probably needed it, too.

garyb
09-23-2014, 07:04 AM
I need to agree that the M&P Pro40 is a sweet gun. Trigger is a little gritty at first, but breaks in nicely. Good shooter. By the way...good shooting on your part too.

TD2K
09-23-2014, 07:30 AM
I don't like the stock M&P trigger. At. ALL. Hubby has a M&P, and M&P Pro, and an M&P Pro Core. I don't like the trigger in any of them. This apex trigger was exceptional though. Very light, very little travel, loved it. I'd buy an M&P just to get this trigger.

muggsy
09-23-2014, 07:40 AM
If it's like the trigger on a 1911 I'll have to investigate it. The trigger on a good 1911 is hard to beat. I'm very impressed with your thumbs forward grip that's pictured. I'm sure that it contributes to the goods score. Nice shooting, TD.

TD2K
09-23-2014, 07:46 AM
It's as close to a 1911 trigger that I've found on a double action/striker fired "plastic" pistol. Sure wish they made them for Glocks. I have a ghost connector, but there's still quite a bit of slack before the shot breaks.

Trigger: https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid54.html

RAM: https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid44.html

TD2K
09-23-2014, 07:48 AM
I'm very impressed with your thumbs forward grip that's pictured. I'm sure that it contributes to the goods score. Nice shooting, TD.

davcar45
09-23-2014, 12:09 PM
I've got an M&P9 and I installed the Apex aluminum FSS kit and the RAM in it and it is THE BEST best plastic gun trigger period. The pistol was ok before, but the APEX parts make it an excellent choice and my favorite choice for polymer, which in general I can't stand. LOL!

TD2K
09-23-2014, 01:26 PM
I've got an M&P9 and I installed the Apex aluminum FSS kit and the RAM in it and it is THE BEST best plastic gun trigger period. The pistol was ok before, but the APEX parts make it an excellent choice and my favorite choice for polymer, which in general I can't stand. LOL!

I agree. I was VERY impressed with that setup.

DeaconKC
09-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Congrats all 'round!

garyb
09-24-2014, 06:27 AM
I don't like the stock M&P trigger. At. ALL. Hubby has a M&P, and M&P Pro, and an M&P Pro Core. I don't like the trigger in any of them. This apex trigger was exceptional though. Very light, very little travel, loved it. I'd buy an M&P just to get this trigger.

I'm usually very trigger sensitive, so I'll need to research this potential improvement some more. I've been very pleased with the stock trigger on my Pro40. I checked out what others on their forum had to say about the Pro40 Appex mod and found this:

"I have a 40c and a 40 5"pro. I had the compact first and did the apex kit on the trigger, great improvement. I really didn't mind the stock trigger that much except the reset was horrible. When I bought the pro I was really worried I would have to put a apex kit in it. the trigger isn't that bad and the reset is great. I will leave that trigger alone, I maybe got the only one that has a good trigger, but I am very happy with the pro trigger. I think to many people try to make their EDC piece into a target pistol."

I'd love to try out an Appex trigger mod before spending the money on something that works well. Perhaps there are variations in the stock triggers and I have a good one too. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it. That said, I'd still like to try one out before I go that route. Good to know about the Appex kit and thanks for sharing the info. I will be on the look out for guys with Pro models at shoots, so I can question them about Appex. thanks.

340pd
09-24-2014, 06:39 AM
Apex does for M&P's as Powder River does to XD's, and Volquartsen does to Rugers. Huge improvements over stock triggers.

RRP
09-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Tom Givens. Mike Seeklander. You've surrounded yourself with top notch trainers. One would be hard pressed to find better mentors.

I'm impressed with your commitment to self-improvement.

TD2K
09-25-2014, 07:01 AM
Tom Givens. Mike Seeklander. You've surrounded yourself with top notch trainers. One would be hard pressed to find better mentors.

I'm impressed with your commitment to self-improvement.

thank you. next on my bucket list is Bill Rogers school in Georgia (gotta save up some $$$ for that one). and Tom's Advanced Instructor Class next year. Checked Ken Hackathorn off my list a year ago, man that was an awesome class too.

TD2K
09-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Mike already put up a nice article about the class. Well worth the read:

http://blog.shooting-performance.com/youre-going-to-be-in-a-gunfight-tomorrow/

I've now been in the class 3 times (2x as a student, 1x as a coach), and I always learn something new. This time it was the infant wearing shoes analogy. Good stuff, plan on using it in my future classes.

RRP
09-26-2014, 02:49 AM
thank you. next on my bucket list is Bill Rogers school in Georgia (gotta save up some $$$ for that one). and Tom's Advanced Instructor Class next year. Checked Ken Hackathorn off my list a year ago, man that was an awesome class too.

Bill Rogers is high on my list, too. Others to consider, if you have a chance to train with, are Kyle Lamb, Wes Doss and Dave Spaulding. Not only are these guys great shooters, they are skilled teachers.

downtownv
09-26-2014, 05:33 AM
You Rock TD2K!
You can get on my perimeter any day!

TD2K
09-26-2014, 06:01 AM
Bill Rogers is high on my list, too. Others to consider, if you have a chance to train with, are Kyle Lamb, Wes Doss and Dave Spaulding. Not only are these guys great shooters, they are skilled teachers.

Good to know, I'll add them to my list!