PDA

View Full Version : Concerns about my NEW kahr cm9...

steveholt
09-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Hello everyone! Today I picked up a new Kahr CM9 and had some concerns that maybe this community can help with:

I noticed that my Kahr CM9 is missing the plastic bag it comes in when I opened up my box, is this normal?

I've seen unboxing videos and seen friend's when they've purchased new kahr cm9 pistols and they all had their pistols in the plastic bag when they opened up their boxes.

My new purchase did not have the plastic bag when I opened up my box and removed the foam top, was I sold a used pistol as new?

Does every kahr cm9 get shipped out inside of a plastic bag? is there a chance mine was forgotten?

Another thing I noticed was that my trigger seems heavier than normal, I've handled dozens of new kahr cm9s in gun shops and my kahr cm9 has a noticeably heavier trigger, is there something wrong with mine?

I read in the FAQ that kahr test fires each gun, is it normal for the barrel to have a decent amount of fouling inside of it NEW? Does kahr clean the barrels before selling/shipping it?

finally, kahr cm9s don't come with spent casing envelops right? i am having a tough time trying to figure out my manufacture/born on date, so i have emailed kahr about that one...

I am somewhat paranoid that maybe I was sold a used gun as new? there are no U marks or anything like that on my trigger guard.

thank you everyone in advance

TheLastDaze
09-24-2014, 10:09 PM
maybe it was on display? did you buy it from a gun store or online?? I doubt it was used and doubt it really matters its your gun now and all is well, fill her up and shoot it...

steveholt
09-24-2014, 10:44 PM
maybe it was on display? did you buy it from a gun store or online?? I doubt it was used and doubt it really matters its your gun now and all is well, fill her up and shoot it...

online, so there is no way to know i guess if it was a display or not :(

Bawanna
09-24-2014, 10:52 PM
The dealer probably had it out to look at or just verify the serial. He may have just left it out of the bag.

steveholt
09-24-2014, 11:02 PM
The dealer probably had it out to look at or just verify the serial. He may have just left it out of the bag.

i was thinking that as well however the online dealer specifically told me that no one from the stocking warehouse where guns are sent in from are not allowed to open the boxes. They receive invoices and send what they have in inventory. i am confused.

i imagine regardless, someone has to open the box up to verify serial right? when they receive it from a distributor or manufacturer to sell? i am thinking you are correct, i want that bag though :( lol, it's just unsettling to not get every single item that comes with it

my silica pack was even a white packet and not brown! haha

steveholt
09-24-2014, 11:03 PM
i am baffled by my trigger, after handling dozens of cm9s in stores they all had a consistent long but not so heavy trigger pull, my trigger seems to have a lighter initial short take up then the rest of the long pull being much heavier.

DavidR
09-25-2014, 03:18 AM
Kahr does not clean the barrel after test firing the pistol.

Tpsfoto
09-25-2014, 07:53 AM
When I bought mine new (at a gun shop in Boulder city) it did not come in the bag and did not have a spent shell casing.

hardluk1
09-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Sounds like a lightly used pistol to me having NO bag and NO spent case or bag for it. The joy of dealing online or with corrupted dealers. You could check with kahr to see if the serial number has been registered to a different owner or the pistol has been in for any reason??

Alfonse
09-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Don't worry about the trigger until you have a few hundred rounds through it. They lighten up and smooth out a bit. The bag wouldn't bother me a bit.

KingWulfgar
09-25-2014, 09:18 AM
Neither my CM9 nor my CW380 came with a fired cartridge casing. It was a curiosity to me, but nothing more.

Clean it, load it up, and shoot a couple hundred rounds, OP!

steveholt
09-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Sounds like a lightly used pistol to me having NO bag and NO spent case or bag for it. The joy of dealing online or with corrupted dealers. You could check with kahr to see if the serial number has been registered to a different owner or the pistol has been in for any reason??

it is from a very reputable online dealer, i will be calling kahr to inquire about my serial number being new or registered to another.
even if there were no prior owners to my serial number can't there be a chance that whomever owned it before simply did not register it themselves?

steveholt
09-25-2014, 01:18 PM
When I bought mine new (at a gun shop in Boulder city) it did not come in the bag and did not have a spent shell casing.

was this a recent purchase? i wonder if kahr stopped putting their pistols in bags for more recent productions?

was there a fair bit of fouling in the barrel ?

steveholt
09-25-2014, 01:19 PM
also, if it were in fact lightly used and sold as new, there wouldn't indicators that would show that? such as barrel wear, barrel hood wear..etc?

i guess factory testing at kahr could technically mean "lightly" used? anyone know how many rounds they test fire at kahr before shipment to dealers/distributors?

JohnR
09-25-2014, 01:41 PM
If you mean "registered" as in warranty registration, not being registered doesn't prove much. I've never registered a firearm for warranty service because no one but me needs to know I own it. You can usually just send a copy of the receipt when getting service, no big deal.

If there are no signs of wear, no scratches on the magazine from being inserted a lot, no scratches or marks anywhere else, no powder residue on the breech face, it's probably "new" or as new as it gets. Was there any packing grease on it? There should have been some goo inside for you to clean out (see the "proper prep" thread).

marcinstl
09-25-2014, 03:30 PM
you bought it online, but had to pick it up from local FFL? (you know the guys at the local gun store have to fondle all the new toys). do a search on kahrtalk for break in and lightning trigger pull. check youtube also.

hardknocks1
09-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Id Just be happy if it works and don't break followers!

steveholt
09-25-2014, 03:44 PM
you bought it online, but had to pick it up from local FFL? (you know the guys at the local gun store have to fondle all the new toys). do a search on kahrtalk for break in and lightning trigger pull. check youtube also.
It was a private FFL that is very personable and trustworthy , he was actually the first to point it out to me that the bag was missing

I will do a search on break in and lightening the trigger thank you for the

steveholt
09-25-2014, 03:46 PM
Id Just be happy if it works and don't break followers!
Fortunately when I disassembled the magazine to clean it ; the follower seemed fine.

are kahr magazine followers prone to breaking when used a lot?

codegeek
09-25-2014, 04:30 PM
Fortunately when I disassembled the magazine to clean it ; the follower seemed fine.

are kahr magazine followers prone to breaking when used a lot?

They are prone to getting hit by the feed ramp. Just keep an eye on it.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

addictedhealer
09-25-2014, 05:12 PM
My Kahr didn't come in a bag I don't think. Stop worrying and shoot the damn thing.

b4uqzme
09-25-2014, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. That gun will outlast you (new or used). Just make sure it works OK and send in that warranty card just in case that trigger doesn't smooth out with the break in. Just my humble 2 cents.

steveholt
09-25-2014, 11:00 PM
They are prone to getting hit by the feed ramp. Just keep an eye on it.

dang, how common is this problem? i am worried now :( is it a known issue or is it a matter of quality control ?

garyb
09-26-2014, 05:50 AM
dang, how common is this problem? i am worried now :( is it a known issue or is it a matter of quality control ?

I've got a worry wart brother who would notice the things you are noticing. Clean it up, break it in...shoot it. If you are looking for problems, you will be thinking you have them. If you have a problem, get it fixed. Good luck with your new gun. It will be just fine. Relax.

BEARDOG
09-26-2014, 06:49 AM
You seem to be just a little tense...:)
I feel I need to be pro-active in keeping you from having a heart attack or something.

When you get past the missing bag,etc. and get around to noticing that the frame has a bulge in it. And that there is a chip out of the front steel rail... stay calm, both are normal, the gun is made that way.

As a wise man once said (maybe more then once)
Clean it, lube it,... and shoot it like you stole it!;)

KingWulfgar
09-26-2014, 08:38 AM
I feel I need to be pro-active in keeping you from having a heart attack or something.

When you get past the missing bag,etc. and get around to noticing that the frame has a bulge in it. And that there is a chip out of the front steel rail... stay calm, both are normal, the gun is made that way.

Ha--that one got me too. :)

JustinN
09-26-2014, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't consider the lack of a bag a sign of a used gun. My first step is to throw the bag away, as normally it is very oily and nasty inside, and I don't want to get that all over my stuff, nor would I put my nice clean gun back in that bag. It may just be whomever handled the gun to log it in cleaned it up and threw away the bag.

Also, I'm not sure if I've gotten spent cases or not. Either way, if you can't look at the gun and say "this is a used gun" I wouldn't think it is used. Take a few pictures of it, like the breech face, hood, etc, and I'm sure a few of the guys here can glance and tell you how used it looks.

Also, what is the weight on your trigger? Don't try and just guess that it feels lighter. It could also just be dry or something. Follow the prep steps, shoot it a few times, and see how it feels. I think you're getting yourself worked up and worried over nothing. IF the gun has problems, then you can start worrying. If not, enjoy it.

I also don't think the follower thing is something to start worrying about. You can search for the threads on here about it, but it's not something I'd worry about with a new gun.

Bawanna
09-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Justin wins the internet today.

And even if you do have an issue still no need to worry at all. First we got some pretty sharp cookies around here to help you through and if it's beyond owner fixing Kahr WILL take care of it and we'll help you with that too.

Worry doesn't help anything in any way. I know I've been there. Now I'm just careless but it better.

Go shoot it. Get a solid grip, use decent quality factory ammo to start with. They like full power loads especially at first.

Nothing to worry about.

steveholt
09-26-2014, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't consider the lack of a bag a sign of a used gun. My first step is to throw the bag away, as normally it is very oily and nasty inside, and I don't want to get that all over my stuff, nor would I put my nice clean gun back in that bag. It may just be whomever handled the gun to log it in cleaned it up and threw away the bag.

Also, I'm not sure if I've gotten spent cases or not. Either way, if you can't look at the gun and say "this is a used gun" I wouldn't think it is used. Take a few pictures of it, like the breech face, hood, etc, and I'm sure a few of the guys here can glance and tell you how used it looks.

Also, what is the weight on your trigger? Don't try and just guess that it feels lighter. It could also just be dry or something. Follow the prep steps, shoot it a few times, and see how it feels. I think you're getting yourself worked up and worried over nothing. IF the gun has problems, then you can start worrying. If not, enjoy it.

I also don't think the follower thing is something to start worrying about. You can search for the threads on here about it, but it's not something I'd worry about with a new gun.

i already cleaned and lubed the gun :(, but from what i can recall the breech face was a little dirty but not bad so wiping it with a rag cleaned it up and i didn't need to brush it or anything, so im thinking the breech was just slightly dirty from when kahr test fired it at the factory?

steveholt
09-26-2014, 01:11 PM
Justin wins the internet today.

And even if you do have an issue still no need to worry at all. First we got some pretty sharp cookies around here to help you through and if it's beyond owner fixing Kahr WILL take care of it and we'll help you with that too.

Worry doesn't help anything in any way. I know I've been there. Now I'm just careless but it better.

Go shoot it. Get a solid grip, use decent quality factory ammo to start with. They like full power loads especially at first.

Nothing to worry about.

thank you, im a bit of a hypochondriac with things :(

steveholt
09-26-2014, 01:12 PM

mother of god, i didn't even notice the things you mentioned until you mentioned it. thanks for the clarification on that it is normal whew. i need to stop worrying so much :(

Decado
09-26-2014, 02:02 PM
I have never had a fired casing with any of the Kahr's I have owned, I have had around 11 different Kahr's , probably 7 where new, the new ones did come with bags but no casing.

Bawanna
09-26-2014, 02:13 PM
The spent case thing is a state to state issue. Some states require it, I'm sure New York, any place associated with California, MA those places require them.

Some manufacturers just include with every gun, others only include when they are going to a distributor in an area that requires them. Again nothing to get worried about.

Sometimes I get one, sometimes I don't.

addictedhealer
09-26-2014, 05:03 PM

Don't forget the plastic shavings and the "plastic rails"!

CJB
09-26-2014, 05:48 PM
Steve, I've got a few things to say about your NEW, did you read that... NEW.... Kahr automatic:

1. Calm down
2. Have a beer, bourbon, joint... I dont care what
3. Take a deep deep breath
4. Don't worry about the flippin' bag
5. Shoot the fokker like you stole it!!!!!

Seriously.... the bag? If you want, I'll send you the bag from my recent Kahr PM9, if it makes ya happy, jeeze.

KingWulfgar
09-26-2014, 06:49 PM
Haha--just saw OP's username.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgs651BUAW1qh6fqvo1_400.jpg

garyb
09-27-2014, 05:51 AM
The spent case thing is a state to state issue. Some states require it, I'm sure New York, any place associated with California, MA those places require them.

Some manufacturers just include with every gun, others only include when they are going to a distributor in an area that requires them. Again nothing to get worried about.

Sometimes I get one, sometimes I don't.

NY used to, but I understand that they dropped this requirement. They did not gain one thing by saving a spent casing....imagine that. Now they don't allow us to order ammo through the mail. Now that will stop crimes....LOL. All that did was hurt our economy and make it nearly impossible to get the ammo we want. I can't even find sabot shot gun shells locally and when I do, they probably won't be what I shoot. I wish they would just go back to saving spent casings. NY gun laws suck.

Bill
09-27-2014, 07:01 AM
I have bought a new .380 and PM40 in the past year, I don't recall any plastic bag on the gun... Also, both came with a nice coating of protecting gunk that I cleaned before re-lubing and happily firing, and firing and.....

CJB
09-27-2014, 07:13 AM
The PM9 I got a few weeks ago, came with a really nice bag. Aw man, its so nice I took it off quite carfully, even sniffed its great aroma, smelling like a cross between a fired pistol and vapor phase inhibitors. Wow. It got folded nicely, neatly, and I store it in the original case for the PM9, which btw, didn't come with fired shell casing.

I'm really glad the PM9 came in that bag, not only for the experience of the bag itself, but for its ability to keep the foam in the case from scratching my great new pistol. Some day, should I decide to sell the pistol, having that original plastic bag will no doubt ad to the resale value many times over.

Or, maybe I'm just a sarcastic old biker, and full o' prunes.

berettabone
09-27-2014, 08:59 AM
nothing wrong with a few prunes once in a while............................................. ......................

steveholt
09-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Today I went to my local gun shop to feel the triggers on brand new kahr cm9s and a couple of them were lighter/smoother compared to my heavier pull, however the dealer brought out a new pm9 and it had a near identical heavier pull as my new cm9.

do triggers vary and differ off the line when kahr pistols are built?

is it likely my trigger will lighten after the break-in period? I was a bit confused as the brand new cm9s at the store had lighter triggers than my new cm9 but the new pm9 had a similar heavier trigger to my new cm9.

CJB
09-27-2014, 06:33 PM
The striker spring, which is being tensioned by the trigger, trigger bar, cocking cam, will weakon with firing. So, expect a lighter trigger.

steveholt
09-27-2014, 07:58 PM
The striker spring, which is being tensioned by the trigger, trigger bar, cocking cam, will weakon with firing. So, expect a lighter trigger.

with 6 snap caps, i went ahead and dry fired around 500 times, the trigger feels the same and has not lightened up / smoothed out at all...

what is going on? isn't dry firing just about the same as live firing in terms of the striker spring being tensioned by the trigger then being released?

CJB
09-27-2014, 08:08 PM
Steve ol bean, whats going on is you are giving any given Woody Allen character a run for its money in neurotic behavior.

GET A FLIPPIN' GRIP!!!!!

Folks wannta help ya, have given you advice.

Heed the advice of others who been there done that!

Go shoot the fokker like you stole it... use best ammo you can afford - hottest stuff outt there.

Shoot a few boxes and report back.

See how easy that was?

BEARDOG
09-27-2014, 09:21 PM
If you really feel that the trigger needs attention... You can detail strip the slide, and check to see that there isn't any debris in the striker channel. Then clean and polish everything that slides. Then install a lighter striker spring.
http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=29#188

addictedhealer
09-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Buy a wolff striker spring. Or get a glock 42 or 26. Kahr pistols are designed for carry and don't utilize any safeties. Long heavy triggers are the safety. Although my Kahr has the 5lb trigger spring and 1400 rounds it doesn't feel heavy at all. Seems as light as any other striker fired triggers just longer.

steveholt
09-28-2014, 12:46 AM
If you really feel that the trigger needs attention... You can detail strip the slide, and check to see that there isn't any debris in the striker channel. Then clean and polish everything that slides. Then install a lighter striker spring.
http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=29#188

i detail stripped the slide, cleaned it and left it dry in areas where necessary (striker channel..etc).

is there a chance that some striker springs that kahr installs may have a coil less/more or not as stiff at the factory?
i handled multiple brand new kahr cm9s that my lgs had just gotten in today to my recently obtained new cm9 and the difference is astounding.

my cm9 has a light and short initial uptake then you hit a wall where the sear engage the striker and firing pin block then the pull is a bit heavy and long but smooth then a crisp break

most cm9s including the new ones my lgs just gotten in recently feels lighter as if the striker had already been released, you know the way the trigger feels after the the striker is released and you haven't set the striker again? that's what it feels like, relatively lighter than mine and smooth then it breaks...., the way the triggers felt on these is the reason i went out and bought a new cm9 of my own, it feels buttery smooth and not too heavy.

i plan on keeping everything as stock as possible as this will be my edc, maybe talon grips and night sights are about as far as i'd go

steveholt
09-28-2014, 12:47 AM
Buy a wolff striker spring. Or get a glock 42 or 26. Kahr pistols are designed for carry and don't utilize any safeties. Long heavy triggers are the safety. Although my Kahr has the 5lb trigger spring and 1400 rounds it doesn't feel heavy at all. Seems as light as any other striker fired triggers just longer.

i don't mind the long or heavier pull, it is just a bit concerning that my new cm9 feels discernibly different from most other new cm9s :(

steveholt
09-28-2014, 01:01 AM
although ive dry fired it close to 500 times today with snapcaps and saw no improvements in my trigger, i will run the 200 round break-in through it and report back!

isn't dry firing and live firing the same in regards to trigger break-in? since all im really doing is setting and releasing the striker via trigger pull? the inertia of a live round being set off should have no bearing on trigger break-in should it?

addictedhealer
09-28-2014, 05:21 AM
You have a trigger scale? Contact Kahr, could have a issue.

steveholt
09-28-2014, 06:32 AM
I honestly think it has something to do with the striker spring because the trigger is buttery smooth and light when the striker has not been set or when field stripped with the slide off the frame. maybe there is potential for quality control issues for striker springs? some are stiffer/tighter than others at the factory?

As I stated previously, most new kahrs ive handled in stores(on the floor and pulled new from back) were equally long in pull but considerably lighter than mine.
it's as if there is a MA/CA compliant model and I got stuck with it!

CJB
09-28-2014, 06:47 AM
or maybe you need to go an shoot the pistol!!!!!!!

b4uqzme
09-28-2014, 07:50 AM

+1.

yqtszhj
09-28-2014, 01:02 PM

Didn't you just say that???..... LOL!

KingWulfgar
09-28-2014, 06:25 PM

Do this. Put 200 rounds through it and if you're having problems, talk to Kahr. They have great customer service by all accounts here.

Also, you really need to put a trigger pull scale on it along with the ones from the shop you think are so much lighter. You might be surprised how inaccurate your "finger" scale is.

JustinN
09-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Weigh the triggers before you get overly concerned with it, but before that, go shoot it!

I know my father in law's K9 has a perceived lighter pull than mine, as it has the enhanced trigger or whatever they call it in it, but I still shoot mine better, because it's what I'm used to. As they've said, these guns are made for carrying, and with it riding at about 2 o'clock on my body, I like the bit of tension I have before it breaks....

Now, if it's heavy enough to make you shoot poorly, it's a problem. But you don't know that until you go shoot it! Also, I stand by the idea that live firing is not the same as snap caps. The forces going on inside the gun are completely different, and while mechanically the same things are happening, there is considerably less force going on when you hand rack it.

In case no one has mentioned it, go shoot it.....then see how everything feels.

CJB
09-29-2014, 09:10 AM
Justin.... what a captal idea....actually firing the pistol. Kudos!

Keep in mind the Kahr trigger has a learning curve.....

Rubb
09-29-2014, 09:43 AM
The trigger on my PM9 went on a diet with use...it seemed much lighter after 1000 rounds or so.
My CM9 feels heavier, but I know it'll get lighter too...

The point being...the more they eat...the lighter they get..IMO

TheLastDaze
09-29-2014, 03:47 PM
WOW.... I'm not on for a few days and this has MAGNIFIED into 6 PAGES !!!!!

I seriously can't be reading this right......... and to figure I just had my eye exam last week..........

you guys are killing me here and I have an aching feeling this gun will never be shot !!!!!!!

Tpsfoto
09-29-2014, 05:13 PM
was this a recent purchase? i wonder if kahr stopped putting their pistols in bags for more recent productions?

was there a fair bit of fouling in the barrel ?

It was bought in February and was pretty clean......it clearly was not used and did have factory grease when I cleaned it.

steveholt
09-29-2014, 05:30 PM
WOW.... I'm not on for a few days and this has MAGNIFIED into 6 PAGES !!!!!

I seriously can't be reading this right......... and to figure I just had my eye exam last week..........

you guys are killing me here and I have an aching feeling this gun will never be shot !!!!!!!

I have a 300 round meal set aside for it next week!
the starting course would be of the 124 grain variety
then the entree will be of the lighter but plentiful 115 grain course
then the dessert will be of the 147 grain dish with an assortment of federal hst and hornady critical duty hollow points :)

i I certainly hope my trigger improves after all that

steveholt
09-29-2014, 05:33 PM
It was bought in February and was pretty clean......it clearly was not used and did have factory grease when I cleaned it.
Was there a fair amount of fouling in the barrel from the factory test firings?

KingWulfgar
09-30-2014, 07:21 AM
the starting course would be of the 124 grain variety
then the dessert will be of the 147 grain dish with an assortment of federal hst and hornady critical duty hollow points :)

I am jealous. I had to be content with the 124gr variety because I couldn't find any of the more gourmet ones.

Shooting a bunch of 115 grains helped me get better at managing the recoil on this little gun. They're a bit snappier.

berettabone
09-30-2014, 09:42 AM
I don't understand why people have a hard time finding ammo.......................................the internet is a wonderful thing............................................. .

fc321
09-30-2014, 10:57 AM
If you want to be ABSOLUTELY SURE and put your worries to rest do this:

Bring the gun to your local shop where you had the FFL transfer. Ask the clerk to put it on a trigger pull scale and write down the reading. If he has any brand new CM9's in the store ask him to put one of those on the trigger pull scale to compare. If not just go to another local gun shop that DOES have a new cm9 and ask them to put that one a a trigger pull scale and make a note of the reading. This is the only way to get a true comparison.

You are probably just imagining this conspiracy theory but the fact of the fact of the matter is this: ANYTIME you buy a gun online YOU ARE TAKING A RISK because you do not have it in your hand before you have already paid them the money.

Most likely the trigger will get looser with time, add to that the fact that you will get accustomed to it by shooting it and if you can no longer bear it you can get a new spring so one way or the other everything will be just fine.

I think you just need to get over it, you are drowning in a glass of water..... THink of people today that will be told by their doctor that they have AIDS or that their daughter has been murdered and compare your trivial problems to theirs.

I tell you myself, just this week, I just had my gf dump me after a 2.5 year relationship, I lost my job and I hear you complaining about a trigger that is a little too heavy, maybe you should join the gym and start lifting weights, pal.

But thank you steveholt, this entire thread has been a comic relief for me, I woke up depressed and reading your posts brought a smile to my face. Thank you =)

In fact if you read this entire thread thru from page 1 to 6 it reads like a comedy script!! This is really, really good comedy.

the starting course would be of thet 124 grain variety

fc321
09-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Unfortunately many states do not allow you to mail order ammo, that is why

I don't understand why people have a hard time finding ammo.......................................the internet is a wonderful thing............................................. .

steveholt
09-30-2014, 02:19 PM

Bring the gun to your local shop where you had the FFL transfer. Ask the clerk to put it on a trigger pull scale and write down the reading. If he has any brand new CM9's in the store ask him to put one of those on the trigger pull scale to compare. If not just go to another local gun shop that DOES have a new cm9 and ask them to put that one a a trigger pull scale and make a note of the reading. This is the only way to get a true comparison.

You are probably just imagining this conspiracy theory but the fact of the fact of the matter is this: ANYTIME you buy a gun online YOU ARE TAKING A RISK because you do not have it in your hand before you have already paid them the money.

Most likely the trigger will get looser with time, add to that the fact that you will get accustomed to it by shooting it and if you can no longer bear it you can get a new spring so one way or the other everything will be just fine.

I think you just need to get over it, you are drowning in a glass of water..... THink of people today that will be told by their doctor that they have AIDS or that their daughter has been murdered and compare your trivial problems to theirs.

I tell you myself, just this week, I just had my gf dump me after a 2.5 year relationship, I lost my job and I hear you complaining about a trigger that is a little too heavy, maybe you should join the gym and start lifting weights, pal.

But thank you steveholt, this entire thread has been a comic relief for me, I woke up depressed and reading your posts brought a smile to my face. Thank you =)

In fact if you read this entire thread thru from page 1 to 6 it reads like a comedy script!! This is really, really good comedy.

hey man sorry to hear about your situation but let's not be quick to judge and be all sanctimonious about our life stories. I've had beyond a rough year myself that I'd rather not dive into. We all have adversities we face in life, let's not make it a measuring contest of who has it worse.

Im just doing what I can to retain control over my life no matter how small the details , even if it is a concern over a heavier trigger on my kahr cm9. Who are you to tell me how I can or can't cope with the hurdles in my life, I sure am not telling you how to cope with your losses.

But I do appreciate the advice on what's relevant to my concerns over my trigger and utilizing a trigger pull weight , not so much the condescending remarks on the latter part of your post

cheers.

ps I am a gym rat and maybe I have to work my finger muscles more

RRP
09-30-2014, 02:31 PM
There's a country song emerging from this thread.

Play it backwards. Your dog will come home.

steveholt
09-30-2014, 02:32 PM
Anyways, I'll be running 300 or so rounds through it sometime next week and report back. I appreciate everyone's input on this matter and will report back after the 300 round break-in.

steve holt!!

steveholt
09-30-2014, 02:33 PM
There's a country song emerging from this thread.

Play it backwards. Your dog will come home.

had to put him down after 8 years :(

CJB
09-30-2014, 04:10 PM

Bring the gun to your local shop where you had the FFL transfer. Ask the clerk to put it on a trigger pull scale and write down the reading. If he has any brand new CM9's in the store ask him to put one of those on the trigger pull scale to compare. If not just go to another local gun shop that DOES have a new cm9 and ask them to put that one a a trigger pull scale and make a note of the reading. This is the only way to get a true cqomparison.

The problem is, trigger pull scales don't measure the "feel" of the trigger, only the spring weight. You'll also find that trigger pull scales of the spring type, are notoriously inaccurate. Only a true hanging "weight" can be used for comparison in the weight of pull. And those are scarce in the weight range of the Kahr trigger range of force.

steveholt
09-30-2014, 06:33 PM
I figured it out finally , turns out the striker spring installed at the factory can vary slightly from firearm to firearm.
i was able to visit a friend who got two new cm9s for himself and his wife and they both had lighter triggers than mine. So we went ahead and detail stripped the slides and swapped out the striker spring and low and behold my cm9 trigger is instantly lighter and improved while his cm9 with my original striker spring in it has a heavier trigger like mine originally had. Our triggers were identical with the frame removed from the slide or when the trigger was pulled without the sear engaged to the striker.

i will be contacting kahr tomorrow about this and ask for a new striker spring , I wonder if they could mail me out an individual part like that without me having to send them the pistol as this seems like an easy fix.
id like to keep everything as stock as possible because this is my edc.

I guess springs can vary in tension during the manufacturing process? They can't all be 100% uniform huh
I wonder if kahr will be able to confirm this discovery in that the striker springs can vary from pistol to pistol in tension during the manufacture and assembly process at the factory

Bawanna
09-30-2014, 07:03 PM
I'm sure they could just send the spring or you could just order a 5# striker spring from Wolff. I'd try Kahr first but many here have replaced with the 5#er. Some it makes a big difference like in your case. In mine the trigger wasn't that heavy but it still improved a bit and as CJB mentioned the feel was better. No explanation for that but I felt it with me own finger.

I definitely would not send the gun back just for that spring.

CJB
09-30-2014, 07:40 PM
No explanation for that but I felt it with me own finger.

Keep in mind that nobody, even the Col. hisself, knows exactly where that fingers been, or what its been up to.

Just sayin!

steveholt
09-30-2014, 07:57 PM
I'm sure they could just send the spring or you could just order a 5# striker spring from Wolff. I'd try Kahr first but many here have replaced with the 5#er. Some it makes a big difference like in your case. In mine the trigger wasn't that heavy but it still improved a bit and as CJB mentioned the feel was better. No explanation for that but I felt it with me own finger.

I definitely would not send the gun back just for that spring.

i will find out tomorrow from kahr. I would love to get the wolf spring but I'm trying to keep everything stock for legality sakes if I were to ever have to use my cm9 in an absolute last resort circumstance.

Bawanna
09-30-2014, 08:38 PM
The factory spring is a Wolff spring. Kahr uses all Wolff springs.

Bawanna
09-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Keep in mind that nobody, even the Col. hisself, knows exactly where that fingers been, or what its been up to.

Just sayin!

This is true.

CJB
09-30-2014, 08:59 PM
I gotta respect a man who is sure of what he doesn't know.

TheLastDaze
10-01-2014, 04:26 AM
^^^lol

have kahr throw in a plastic bag with that order and you'll be set...

you've changed the springs and you still haven't shot it yet?? this could've very well been resolved by some time at the range, quirky things like that typically go away when the gun is used, which brings up a very good indicator that your gun is brandy new.....

I'd be more worried about how a gun performs or "not" at the range first and foremost before I'd be concerned with ANYTHING that has been mentioned in this thread to begin with...

KingWulfgar
10-01-2014, 07:58 AM
^^^lol

have kahr throw in a plastic bag with that order and you'll be set...

you've changed the springs and you still haven't shot it yet?? this could've very well been resolved by some time at the range, quirky things like that typically go away when the gun is used, which brings up a very good indicator that your gun is brandy new.....

I'd be more worried about how a gun performs or "not" at the range first and foremost before I'd be concerned with ANYTHING that has been mentioned in this thread to begin with...

I honestly can't believe we're still talking about this and the gun is yet to be shot.

Changing a spring isn't going to cause you legal problems if you were to ever use the gun in self defense. If you bubba gunsmithed your trigger down to a hair trigger and accidentally shot someone--maybe. Go to the range already, man!

steveholt
10-01-2014, 12:52 PM
The factory spring is a Wolff spring. Kahr uses all Wolff springs.
does the wolf #5 striker spring differ at all in terms of the amount of spring coils compared to the stock striker spring?

Bawanna
10-01-2014, 12:57 PM
I don't know the answer to that question. My guess would be no difference in coils. The spring is so short I doubt that they control the tension solely on coils.

The length is the same as I recall holding them side by side.

steveholt
10-01-2014, 01:02 PM
I only ask because you never know what a prosecutor will go after since the intention and reason for a different striker spring is to affect the trigger pull... and with that they can go consider it more lethal, more calculated.. blah blah..etc

muggsy
10-01-2014, 01:07 PM
i will find out tomorrow from kahr. I would love to get the wolf spring but I'm trying to keep everything stock for legality sakes if I were to ever have to use my cm9 in an absolute last resort circumstance.

No one will know or care if the gun has a 5# striker spring or not, except you. I'd personally go with the Wolff 5# spring, because Wolff supplies Kahr with the springs for their guns. Kahr does not manufacture their own springs. Only you will know the difference.

steveholt
10-01-2014, 01:29 PM
range report incoming after i am done unpacking and finished cleaning

KingWulfgar
10-01-2014, 01:53 PM
range report incoming after i am done unpacking and finished cleaning

Looking forward to it.

And, in well over a decade of being active on gun-related message boards, I have never come across a single documented case where something like that affected any sort of difference in verdict. I don't worry about it. I have aftermarket mag springs in a few of my guns and slightly tweaked triggers (nothing extreme) as well. I'm planning on putting a nice 3.5 lb Geissele trigger in my AR someday when I can afford the $200 and I won't lose any sleep over it. :)

DavidS
10-01-2014, 02:04 PM
I only ask because you never know what a prosecutor will go after since the intention and reason for a different striker spring is to affect the trigger pull... and with that they can go consider it more lethal, more calculated.. blah blah..etc
You already decided to use a gun instead of a telephone or golf club to protect yourself. I doubt that the choice of spring would be a big factor in the "more lethal, more calculated" argument.

Bawanna
10-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Most people involved in the aftermath don't know what a trigger is or anything else. Maybe a trigger but little else.

I'd not waste a single second on the aftermath myself. If your worried about the legalities or perceptions a different set of grips or brand of holster or anything else your gonna get ulcers and probably be a victim while you decide weather or not to pull the trigger.

Many cops are dead because they were more worried about the aftermath than the threat at hand.

steveholt
10-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Had a fun time using just the one magazine my cm9 came with, was a long range day with one 6 rounder magazine :D

anyways here is a report of the 300 rounds I ran through it :

winchester white box (115 grain) 50 rounds - 1 failure to feed
pmc bronze (115 grain) 50 rounds - no failures
remington umc (115 grain) 50 rounds - 1 failure to feed , 1 failure to eject
aguila (124 grain) 50 rounds - no failures

hollow points:
hornady critical duty (135 grain +p) 50 rounds - no failures
federal hst (147 grain) 50 rounds - no failures

I am relieved to know that hollow points fed without issue, they're just too expensive to shoot :(

also used a spring loaded trigger pull guage and discovered the following:

3 pulls measured at - 7.7 lbs, 7.6 lbs, 7.9 lbs
after break in - 7.6 lbs, 7.6 lbs, 7.8 lbs

also measured it on two other new and unfired cm9s:
1st cm9 - 6.6 lbs, 6.5 lbs, 6.5 lbs
2nd cm9 - 6.8 lbs, 6.8 lbs, 6.9 lbs

yeah I know I kind of jumped the gun with what I found but ive got some data now so I'm thinking my next step is to contact kahr? Which I've already done via email, I know it would be faster over the phone but I think it would be best to have a trail of emails that can be followed in writing?

Whar at are everyone's thoughts in my above finding and what other actions should I take besides what I've already done in contacting kahr via email?

thank you all for your patience!

KingWulfgar
10-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Had a fun time using just the one magazine my cm9 came with, was a long range day with one 6 rounder magazine :D

I hear ya' about the one magazine, but for the price, I can't complain. You did send that free mag promo (http://www.kahr.com/MagPromo2014.asp) documentation in to Kahr, right?

I wish I could find the HST 147gr. Only thing around here is the 124gr and they're stupid expensive.

As to contacting Kahr, you started with email--just be patient and continue down that road. If you don't want to wait, just go order yourself a spring and be done with it. Your trigger is a mere 1 lb heavier, so I'm not sure I'd consider that an actual problem with the gun. Not sure if Kahr will or not.

CJB
10-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Whar at are everyone's thoughts in my above finding and what other actions should I take besides what I've already done in contacting kahr via email?

Not sure of the order of firing, but the FMJ ammo would be the bargain type - WWB, UMC, PMC and Aguila - all noted for not being the most powerful as ammo goes for 9mm (or 40S&W, or .45ACP for that matter).

That you had only three failures in the first 300 rounds, when using that ammo, is very good. I suspect your failure rate will decrease.

As for the trigger pulls - using a spring scale on a double action trigger is a rather tricky thing, because in addition to the weight of pull, you have the overall slickness of the long trigger, and its exact point of breaking that comes into question.

The other thing is, how many rounds do those other pistols have through them, and what rounds were fired.

steveholt
10-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Not sure of the order of firing, but the FMJ ammo would be the bargain type - WWB, UMC, PMC and Aguila - all noted for not being the most powerful as ammo goes for 9mm (or 40S&W, or .45ACP for that matter).

That you had only three failures in the first 300 rounds, when using that ammo, is very good. I suspect your failure rate will decrease.

As for the trigger pulls - using a spring scale on a double action trigger is a rather tricky thing, because in addition to the weight of pull, you have the overall slickness of the long trigger, and its exact point of breaking that comes into question.

The other thing is, how many rounds do those other pistols have through them, and what rounds were fired.

the other pistols measured were new and unfired, the same ones I compared by swapping the springs in my earlier post

steveholt
10-01-2014, 04:12 PM
I hear ya' about the one magazine, but for the price, I can't complain. You did send that free mag promo (http://www.kahr.com/MagPromo2014.asp) documentation in to Kahr, right?

I wish I could find the HST 147gr. Only thing around here is the 124gr and they're stupid expensive.

As to contacting Kahr, you started with email--just be patient and continue down that road. If you don't want to wait, just go order yourself a spring and be done with it. Your trigger is a mere 1 lb heavier, so I'm not sure I'd consider that an actual problem with the gun. Not sure if Kahr will or not.

i submitted the free mag promo first thing before this whole trigger debacle lol

sgammo is the best place for hst when they get them in, they are great people and offer some of the best prices, they had 124 grain hsts around .50/round last time they had them

Yeah I'm a bit iffy myself if kahr would consider the 1lb difference a problem or consider it within specifications and not help me :( all I want is some new striker springs from kahr and verification if in fact their springs vary in tension at the factory when manufacturered and assembled

DavidR
10-01-2014, 04:26 PM
I'd say your CM9 did very well at the range today.

codegeek
10-01-2014, 07:29 PM
I can tell you Steve, I love my five pound spring.

steveholt
10-01-2014, 08:20 PM
I can tell you Steve, I love my five pound spring.

Have you had any issues with light primer strikes or anything with it being a lighter spring?

codegeek
10-02-2014, 07:09 AM
Have you had any issues with light primer strikes or anything with it being a lighter spring?

nope. the CM9 has been flawless once I got her back from Kahr (rampectomy for broken followers). The length of the trigger pull is the same, but the lighter pull makes it easier to keep the sights on target. Took about 20 minutes for me to figure out how to install them. Somebody with more "smithing" experience probably wouldn't take any time at all.

steveholt
10-14-2014, 01:22 AM
received a new striker spring from kahr and everything is good now!!

Hawkeye911
10-14-2014, 07:10 AM
Good to hear.

Now shoot that thang!!!