PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had to draw your weapon in self defense?

aray
06-23-2010, 03:14 PM
I was reading one of Bawanna's latest posting and for the first time noticed part of his signature:

> Bawanna=2 1/2 BG's=Zero

And so I thought "There's got to be an interesting story behind that! Wonder if he's had to confront bad guys?" Given that it is so rare, even for LEOs, 2 1/2 from a civilian has got to be unheard of. But before I burdened him with a question, I thought I'd search the forums and see if there were any postings on the subject.

Didn't find any from Bawanna in my search (and don't wanna slug through 2400 postings one at a time :) ) but I did run across Dietrich's posting:

http://kahrtalk.com/ccw-tactics-training/264-fear-tastes-like-brass.html#post1934

Which then raises my overall question. Have any of you actually had to draw your weapon in self defense? Given the monthly "Armed Citizen" column in the NRA publications it's certainly possible that some of our own KahrTalk members might be in that category.

I'm sure in some sense all of these incidents are somewhat unpleasant to remember. No one wants to ever find themselves in those circumstances. But it might be educational for the rest of us if those of you who have been there would be so kind as to share what happened, what you were thinking at the time, etc. I find it helpful to review "what if's" in my head so that I'm prepared to deal with as many situations as possible, before they happen to me.

Thanks.

Bawanna
06-23-2010, 03:48 PM
I've been asked about that line in my signature before and really wanted to keep it too myself as I felt it would just be adding salt to a wound or considered bragadacio.
The figures in question have absolutely nothing to do with gun fights, or anything to do with carrying a gun actually.
In fact that are all related to this forum directly. A record that I probably can't honestly even lay claim too but felt so good about that I added it in a weak moment.
In the course of my tenure here a few new or seldom visiting members chose to come right in and slander other members here who I considered very good pals. Made themselves genuine nuisances. None of the personal attacks were towards me originally but of course I can't stand by and let bad things happen. Once I entered the battle I became a collateral target and after due time felt compelled to invited the mods attention. The mods in their infinite wisdom and after proper due course banned 2 of the (trolls) permanently. The half is currently on suspension and my fingers are crossed hoping he remains someplace else. Although I do love a good verbal jousting from time to time. Hence the 1/2.
The original victims of these malicious verbal and slanderish attacks deserve the credit. Both trolls attacked me here and in PM's and indicated they would stay and I could go. One one occasion I did in fact go, guess I was weak. But I came back and now I'm here and they aren't. God's will if you will.
In real life (this is real life right) I've brandished my weapon twice offensively but not intentionally? Explain that. A store robbery and a neighborhood burglary. Both occasions I saw them fleeing and basically just wanted to get a good description and direction of travel for the boys in blue with badges. Somehow in my haste even though unplanned I caught up to them and found myself in a fish or cut bait situation. I do not recommend chasing fleeing bad guys.
The third brandishing was totally defensive, I saw it coming, already had the gun drawn and held under my coat. When the announcement "your money or your life" came, I simply flipped my coat back and all I saw was hind ends heading someplace else. I don't think I could have caught them. As my wife and young first son were present he was quite impressed. I think he was 4. I was petrified but did my best to put on my game face. (everyday super hero business you know):puke:
My lifetime alotment of CCW brandishings is probably used up but I still carry one, never know could be one more that sneaks up on ya. Life comes at you fast sometimes, best be ready for it.

rglbegl
06-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Have you ever had to draw your weapon in self defense?

Yes

Bawanna
06-23-2010, 03:51 PM
2400 postings!:eek:

How the heck did that happen? I'm gonna go look for a life now. Where's Jocko and Wynn at? Do I gotta pick up the pace?
Crap, post fly when your having fun.

See ya

Bawanna
06-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Yes

After my page long diatribe your gonna get by with a one word "Yes).

I don't think so Tim!.

rglbegl
06-23-2010, 04:11 PM
After my page long diatribe your gonna get by with a one word "Yes).

I don't think so Tim!.

I was at home. Some one tried to pick the lock on my rear sliding glass door. I was still awake, playin some video games.
He was so focused on the lock that he didn't notice me until I tapped my gun on the glass. I have never seen anyone hop a fence that fast.

I really dont think I needed a gun in that situation. I think me just standing there is what scared him away.
But to answer the OPs question;
Yes, I have pulled my gun to defend myself

Bawanna
06-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Now that's way more better. I love happy endings too.

I use to install fences for a living, homeowner wasn't home and I went into the back in search of water to mix cement. I found water but also a very large and agressive looking Doberman. I vaulted a 6 ft chain link fence without touching,(I was young, fit and walking in those days) my boss at the time was on the ground laughing so hard. I asked what the heck was so funny. Found out the dog was on a chain and he hit the end about 30 ft before the fence but I never looked back.
I know how your home breaker felt as he fled, almost. Not sure what's worse, man with a gun or dog with huge teeth and a attitude.

As a side note the only water on that job was in reach of the doberman. With a little coaxing and foreplay we became fast friends and he even let me fill up my water bucket cautiously several times.

jeep45238
06-23-2010, 06:00 PM
One time, and I hope to never do so again.

oldtex
06-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Have any of you actually had to draw your weapon in self defense?

I have not.

kahrseye
06-23-2010, 07:56 PM
I am very happy to say I have never had to draw my weapon. I know I won't have any problem doing so if I need to, just hope I don't need to.

joshh
06-23-2010, 08:32 PM
about 8yrs ago a few nights before xmas my brother and i went to the mall and as we walked through the garage towards the entrance a man started asking us for $20 with some b/s story and after saying no he kept pressing us. after telling him i didnt have any "spare" money he told me "to go to the atm and get some" so i told him to get a job. after me saying that he lost his temper and started yelling "you dont know me" and kept grabbing at his baggy pants like he was going for a gun. at that point i pulled back my jacket and openly gripped my glock22 in its owb pancake holster. never had to draw as his eyes locked on it and he quickly retreated. i then went into the mall and reported what happened to the local leo at the entrance who then went and snatched him up from the lot. scary enough situation. hope its my last but better to plan for the worst.

aray
06-23-2010, 09:30 PM
In the course of my tenure here a few new or seldom visiting members chose to come right in and slander other members here who I considered very good pals. Made themselves genuine nuisances.

I haven't been here nearly as long as most others, but if one of the trolls was the one a month or so ago who was banned, in my opinion you did A Good Thing.

In real life (this is real life right) I've brandished my weapon twice offensively but not intentionally? Explain that. A store robbery and a neighborhood burglary. Both occasions I saw them fleeing and basically just wanted to get a good description and direction of travel for the boys in blue with badges. Somehow in my haste even though unplanned I caught up to them and found myself in a fish or cut bait situation. I do not recommend chasing fleeing bad guys.
The third brandishing was totally defensive, I saw it coming, already had the gun drawn and held under my coat. When the announcement "your money or your life" came, I simply flipped my coat back and all I saw was hind ends heading someplace else. I don't think I could have caught them.

Wow those are quite the stories. The first two in particular are ironic for me too, as I'm in the process of reading Massad Ayoob's "The Gun Digest of Concealed Carry". In chapter 4 he tells the story of Larry Lindsey, who followed some bad guys in his car so he could get their license plate number and call 911. Like Bawanna he caught up with the BGs, who turned on him and threatened him, forcing him to display his licensed handgun. That's where the difference ends. Larry backed his car out of the dead-end parking lot where he had caught up with them, got safely away, and immediately called 911. But not before the BGs had first called 911 complaining about a "man with a gun". Larry was arrested, the prosecutor brought in the "deadly high caliber" (45), "two extra magazines" that could "kill two dozen people", hollow point bullets that were designed to "expand and tear larger wounds", etc. Larry was on trial; the BGs were then the innocent sweet lambs who testified against him with an anti-gun prosecutor. I won't give all the story away but Ayoob was called as an expert witness and tells a short but fascinating story of how the trial progressed.

Made me think about my own actions. A handful of times, my wife & I have done the same with obviously drunk and very dangerous drivers on I-95 as we frequently travel between MD and NC or FL. But up to now, I've never had a CCW permit. Makes you think about the spectrum of consequences a lot more, even when you're trying to do the right thing and be a good Samaritan ...

JoeMB
06-23-2010, 10:38 PM
I am new here and think this is a very interesting post. I am a LEO and always, always carry because I feel it is the responsible thing to do as I would never want to be in the situation where I need a weapon and don't have it. So I err on the side of I'll always have it and hopefully never need it. I have had to draw my weapon numerous times while on duty but never off duty... again hopefully won't have to.

On that note I would caution you to be very careful about "following" the mopes who were attempting to commit the crime or did commit the crime. Some states are very clear about where the "immediate" threat to your life ends and you becoming a "vigil anti" begins. It is the same for LEO's. Sometimes your best bet is to be a great witness.... not the guy being charged for manslaughter for chasing down the punk who ended up pulling a gun 3 blocks from your house, and then shooting him.

Just be smart and stay safe, take it for what it is worth.

rholmes69
06-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Have not had to ever draw... on a human. Did blast away a 5 ft rattlesnake at the deer lease last year that jumped me. That really made me realize how badly I needed to practice drawing, competently aiming AND then firing. I think I had off two shots before I even lined up the sights... BTW, that is a 20oz bottle next to him for size reference. Still have the rattle, 8 rattles and two buttons. One of the most terrifying noises I've ever heard.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/Kahr/IMG00011.jpg

mr surveyor
06-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Good advice from Joe.

aray
06-23-2010, 11:00 PM
I am new here and think this is a very interesting post. I am a LEO and always, always carry because I feel it is the responsible thing to do as I would never want to be in the situation where I need a weapon and don't have it. So I err on the side of I'll always have it and hopefully never need it. I have had to draw my weapon numerous times while on duty but never off duty... again hopefully won't have to.

On that note I would caution you to be very careful about "following" the mopes who were attempting to commit the crime or did commit the crime. Some states are very clear about where the "immediate" threat to your life ends and you becoming a "vigil anti" begins. It is the same for LEO's. Sometimes your best bet is to be a great witness.... not the guy being charged for manslaughter for chasing down the punk who ended up pulling a gun 3 blocks from your house, and then shooting him.

Just be smart and stay safe, take it for what it is worth.

Good advice. And although I'm sure your comments are generic and not directed specifically at me, I did want to clarify that on those rare occasions when my wife & I have tailed the worst of the worst drunk drivers (i.e. those we think are likely to kill someone before they can get home) it has only been to provide locational updates to 911 until LEO can arrive. We would never consider ourselves "in pursuit" of a perp. Even so, whereas before I was unarmed, now being able to CCW (when not in MD) you never know what odd turns of fate await around the next corner.

Thanks.

aray
06-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Have not had to ever draw... on a human. Did blast away a 5 ft rattlesnake at the deer lease last year that jumped me. That really made me realize how badly I needed to practice drawing, competently aiming AND then firing.

Oh. Hitting a moving snake that caught you off guard. That's gotta be hard...

Bawanna
06-23-2010, 11:25 PM
In both my cases I was very fortunate to have some good officers arrive. The first incident several. I was lined up along with the bad guys (4) and there were about 8 store employees. The deputies did a great job of sorting out the mess and took me aside. When I explained that I had no intention of catching them, just wanted to see where they went and all they helped me write a very convinceing statement.
Like Joe said if your not very very threatened it's best to seek life elsewhere.
The scareiest part if you have to always remember the police don't know who the good guys or the bad guys are. Can be some very tense moments until they know whos who and me being deaf it's far more complicated yet.

Popeye
06-24-2010, 05:06 AM
No, but close to on a not so friendly German Shepard that some b*thch thought was a good idea to bring to the playground where my granddaughter was playing. Totally ignored the sign that clearly stated ."No dogs allowed in play area". I told her straight out that if that dog goes after one of those children that I would kill it. Didn't say how just that I would. She must have seen that I was not kidding and left.
The stupidity of some people. What would make a person think it was a good idea to bring a dog like that to and area where children are running around playing?
:31:
I hope I never have to draw my gun to shoot anything but a paper target or a piece of fruit.:D

PaiN
06-24-2010, 06:02 AM
I have not had too draw my weapon or use it in self defense.
I was stopped in the car once, when I thought I saw a potential threat approaching. I remember putting my hand on the grip and thinking; "I don't want to shoot this in here". Nothing happened, but I always wonder why my instant thought was about the concussion of the gun...?
The mind is a funny thing ;)

rholmes69
06-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Oh. Hitting a moving snake that caught you off guard. That's gotta be hard...

Not when you have rat shot! I was more freaked because it was dark, I was jammed up in some heavy brush, I was trying to back away, not shoot the atv, and rat shot doesn't have enough recoil to fully eject the round and load another shell, so you have to rack the slide each time.

jlottmc
06-24-2010, 06:56 PM
I have had to pull on no legged two legged and four legged. I seem to be a magnet for crap. I also had some time in a little place called Bosnia, and since I grew up with a bunch of bikers... I've had a few encounters that I wouldn't mind forgetting. I did have a funny incident a couple of years ago, though I never had to draw my weapon, I did let the punk know that his fight was best picked elsewhere (stripped a big fat 45 round out of my reloads when the scrap was done with, thumped it down on his chest and told him to think about it).

ckgdrums
06-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Several times on duty, but none as a civilian.