PDA

View Full Version : How to rack a semi-auto pistol - NAGR Video

wyntrout
10-26-2014, 01:31 AM
For ladies and guys.

Published on Oct 24, 2014
Racking the slide of a modern semi-automatic handgun isn't about your muscles; it's all about technique. Watch and learn the tips and techniques that make it easy to rack a slide like a boss!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XSiOq_uvCmg

Wynn :)

kerby9mm
10-26-2014, 03:52 AM
She already has the hammer cocked on the 1911 to make it easier to pull the slide back & then repeatedly drops the slide on the empty chamber. The video should be "how to damage the extractor on your 1911".

AJBert
10-26-2014, 09:14 PM
But what if I need to lock the slide back?!? What if my slide doesn't lock back on empty and I need to reload AND keep my muzzle pointed at the target?!?

I'm sure I could come up with more instances where that technique just won't work. I guess it is ok if you only want to rack a slide with no mag and the hammer already cocked.

RRP
10-27-2014, 04:23 AM
She is cute. That's all I have.

SlowBurn
10-27-2014, 05:31 AM
I don't get the knocks. This is a video about racking a load into the chamber, but whats the problem with locking the slide back instead, if that's what you want? Whats the problem with keeping the muzzle pointed to the target?

codegeek
10-27-2014, 06:33 AM
good video. I don't have a problem racking the slide however I choose to do it, but I know its an issue for some older folks with wrists that just aren't as strong as they used to be.

JohnR
10-27-2014, 06:52 AM
She should demonstrate with a K9. It won't look so easy then.

muggsy
10-27-2014, 07:08 AM
She could rack my slide anytime. She just showed the perfect technique. She could have shown to keep the gun pointed down range by turning to the right, but in a SHTF situation I have no problem with her method. It's the method that I was taught by my father and in the military.

JohnR
10-27-2014, 07:33 AM
Muggs, will you be keeping your muzzle pointed downrange when she racks it?

berettabone
10-27-2014, 09:46 AM
I sure hope that this firearm is not in the case for sale. Now that she knows how to rack the slide, someone should enlighten her on the 1911, like someone has mentioned.

jocko
10-27-2014, 03:02 PM
my comments: she is doing a good job but the gun is a sinclge action caliaber and as u can see the hammer is already co cked back, which takes away some of the strength jof the slide procedure to. I would like to see her rack a K9 or a MK9. Still she did a nice ob of explaining the push pullbut I would have likjed to see her donit with the hammer down. Not being critical, I guess for demo purposes she cut a corner or two but all in all she explained it better than Muggsy could ever do.Just sayin

Bawanna
10-27-2014, 03:20 PM
I have too much time around violets, I'm apparently traumatized.

I want to tie her braid to my trailer hitch ball and drag her. I don't think there's any help for me.

wyntrout
10-28-2014, 09:55 AM
You guys are really holding back. You would really like to see her doing the demonstration topless. :rolleyes:

Wynn :)

Bawanna
10-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Naw not me. Now maybe Muggsy or Jocko topless or perhaps a tight wife beater shirt.

JohnR
10-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Muggs wants her to slide his rack, I'd rather slide her rack.

muggsy
10-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Muggs, will you be keeping your muzzle pointed downrange when she racks it?

Absolutely, John. Safety is always my first concern.

muggsy
10-28-2014, 01:40 PM
my comments: she is doing a good job but the gun is a sinclge action caliaber and as u can see the hammer is already co cked back, which takes away some of the strength jof the slide procedure to. I would like to see her rack a K9 or a MK9. Still she did a nice ob of explaining the push pullbut I would have likjed to see her donit with the hammer down. Not being critical, I guess for demo purposes she cut a corner or two but all in all she explained it better than Muggsy could ever do.Just sayin

I'm better in the doin' than I am in the tellin'. That's a fact.

muggsy
10-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Muggs wants her to slide his rack, I'd rather slide her rack.

Hey, watch it there, John R. This is a family website. The nerve of some people's children. And you call yerself a moderator. :o

JohnR
10-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Hey, watch it there, John R. This is a family website. The nerve of some people's children. And you call yerself a moderator. :o
I have no idea what you're referring to! She has a rack of shelving in her garage that needs to be slid over to make room for a new lawn mower. I merely offered to slide her rack for her. ;)

b4uqzme
10-28-2014, 02:07 PM
I have no idea what you're referring to! She has a rack of shelving in her garage that needs to be slid over to make room for a new lawn mower. I merely offered to slide her rack for her. ;)

I'm calling BS. ;)

miketafc
10-28-2014, 02:16 PM
She already has the hammer cocked on the 1911 to make it easier to pull the slide back & then repeatedly drops the slide on the empty chamber. The video should be "how to damage the extractor on your 1911".

EXCACTLY - The manual I got with my Springfield RO Warns not to do this. Yet it was a given to rack the slide a few hundred times on my Kahr CW9 to loosen it up.

can anyone explain the difference in the two types of firearms regarding the extractors?

JohnR
10-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Internal vs. external extractors?

jocko
10-28-2014, 03:03 PM

I knew exzactly whatu were saying John, I seen that rack of shelving to and was thinking the same thing. Just sayin

Bawanna
10-28-2014, 03:05 PM

I think you got your Johns mixed up there Edge.

jocko
10-28-2014, 03:08 PM
EXCACTLY - The manual I got with my Springfield RO Warns not to do this. Yet it was a given to rack the slide a few hundred times on my Kahr CW9 to loosen it up.

can anyone explain the difference in the two types of firearms regarding the extractors?

IMO I seen nutting wrong with her part of dragging the slide like she did as far as damage. If a gun can't take that sh!t, then it is a kel tek...I think there is a big difference in racxking a slide like some here have suggested for breaking, as ur holding the sldie all the time and not really releasing it and letting it slam home. I just see no harm in that at all. Again it is ech to his own. These guns aren't pu$$y guns, they are built ... Could it dmaage an extractor,??? Maybe, depends on the gun.I think one would play hell ever tryig to damage a kahr extractor. Just sayin

marcinstl
10-28-2014, 03:15 PM
"Dear Mr. Wilson,
I just broke the extractor on your POS 1911, by racking the slide. for $5200 I expected more."
(wonder how many messages like that Bill gets in a year? hehehehehe.)

miketafc
10-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Hold slide, disengage slide stop,ease slide forward

Notice: The slide of a 1911-A1 pistol should never be released on an empty chamber; especially one which has had an action job. Releasing the slide on an empty chamber causes damage to the breech face on the barrel and undue stress on all action parts, including the hammer and the sear. This will ruin the action job performed on your pistol.

Please hold all comments about getting an "action job". :)

JohnR
10-28-2014, 06:31 PM
IMO I seen nutting wrong with her part of dragging the slide like she did as far as damage. If a gun can't take that sh!t, then it is a kel tek...I think there is a big difference in racxking a slide like some here have suggested for breaking, as ur holding the sldie all the time and not really releasing it and letting it slam home. I just see no harm in that at all. Again it is ech to his own. These guns aren't pu$$y guns, they are built ... Could it dmaage an extractor,??? Maybe, depends on the gun.I think one would play hell ever tryig to damage a kahr extractor. Just sayin

There's a thread on one of the Ruger forums saying a modern revolver is such a delicate fragile little thing that if you don't gently close the cylinder by pushing on the crane only, not the cylinder, and never by flicking it shut, the thing turns to junk.

So much for "built like a tank."

b4uqzme
10-28-2014, 06:34 PM
I never flick my Rugers... Just sayin'. :)

AJBert
10-28-2014, 06:52 PM
I never flick my Rugers... Just sayin'. :)

I can't flick my Rugers, both are single action, a Single Six convertible and a New Model Blackhawk.

However, I may or may not have been guilty of flicking a booger once or twice. Can't recall if this did or did not happen, though.