PDA

View Full Version : PM9 breech face cuts

ydennekb
10-30-2014, 07:19 PM
I just picked up a brand new PM9 and noticed these cuts on the breech face and one to the side. Bottom right in the pic. Is this normal or did someone have am oops moment at the mill?

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz70/ydennekb/Mobile%20Uploads/20141030_201254_zps50b75aa2.jpg (http://s814.photobucket.com/user/ydennekb/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141030_201254_zps50b75aa2.jpg.html)

Tilos
10-30-2014, 09:49 PM
I believe that surface is broached, rather than milled, but that doesn't change the condition of your gun.
jmo
:(

mmncw
10-31-2014, 12:48 PM
If you're looking at what I think you're looking at, I believe those are intentional. Perhaps to prevent gunk accumulation in the corners which could interfere with feeding/cycling.

RRP
10-31-2014, 02:13 PM
My PM9 has the same relief cuts on the face of the breech, as well as on the shoulder just to the right, as viewed on your photo.

CJB
10-31-2014, 04:20 PM
More like stress relief, I'd say. Lookslike they were drilled into the stock, then the cuts were broached.

Sharp corners, stress concentration.....bad. Radius... good.

Alfonse
10-31-2014, 04:28 PM
Looks fine to me. A touch dirty...

jocko
10-31-2014, 05:13 PM
shoot the fokker!!!!

ydennekb
10-31-2014, 11:38 PM
Well I emailed that picture to Kahr and at first was told that it was just a side effect of the manufacturing process, then he back tracked and said I should probably send it in. I said screw it and took it out for a break in. 250 rounds, not a malfunction one, so I think I'll just run with it. Even with the "defect" it's already the most reliable PM9 I've ever owned. Thanks guys!

ydennekb
11-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Update
I got to thinking that I didn't really feel right about the fact that I paid good money for a new pistol and got one with an obvious defect in a fairly critical area. Sent it in, Kahr cleaned it, fired 28 rounds through it and sent it back. While the gun does work, it says alot about Kahr that they're okay with this. I would never recommend a Kahr to a friend based on this instance.

b4uqzme
11-12-2014, 08:11 PM
I'm thinking you were on the right track there in post #8. Enjoy it. You got a good one that shoots great without a lot of fiddling. All Kahr did was inspect it to assure that everything is fine. CYA on their part.

GEARHEAD_ENG
11-14-2014, 09:30 AM
I gaurentee the Engineers had a look at your pistol when it came in and they said it looks fine. Went to testing and no hang ups so it went back to the customer.
I don't see anything out of the norm in your photos except a lot of gunk.

As Jocko says... shoot the fokker like u stole it.

b4uqzme
11-14-2014, 10:05 AM
So sorry it took me so long to inspect my Kahrs: my MK9 and CM45 have the same cuts. They must have a purpose. I wouldn't suppose they are machining errors. Please don't let them spoil your experience.

muggsy
11-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Some people just gotta look for trouble and aren't happy unless they find it. Just sayin.

ydennekb
11-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Really mugsy? You're okay with laying out Kahr money and having an obvious defect in it? I've never owned a single pistol with something like this, but somehow Kahr gets a pass? I'm not the type to get wrapped around the axle about fit/finish issues, but I definitely took note with it being in the breach face and slide.I don't think it's there purposefully or all of their pistols would have it. It's poor QA/QC, pure and simple.

Either way, I'm not crying about it and I'll shoot the gun till it breaks.

b4uqzme
11-14-2014, 03:33 PM
^^^ good! You'll be shooting for a long, long time! :)

muggsy
11-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Really mugsy? You're okay with laying out Kahr money and having an obvious defect in it? I've never owned a single pistol with something like this, but somehow Kahr gets a pass? I'm not the type to get wrapped around the axle about fit/finish issues, but I definitely took note with it being in the breach face and slide.I don't think it's there purposefully or all of their pistols would have it. It's poor QA/QC, pure and simple.

Either way, I'm not crying about it and I'll shoot the gun till it breaks.

You don't know that there is anything wrong with your gun. My gun has the exact same radius in the corner of the breach face and I have close to 6,000 rounds through it without a problem. The slides are CNC machined and inspected more than once by a company that's ISO 9000 certified. Your gun isn't going to break and even if it did break Kahr would repair or replace it. I have a tendency to believe that the people who designed and manufactured the gun know just a little more about it than you do. Just sayin.

ydennekb
11-14-2014, 04:41 PM
I can agree with most of that. I've been a Quality Manager for the last decade at an ISO 9001 certified location and I'm accustomed to seeing some boo boos every now and then. From the sound of this thread, some people's guns have these "cuts" and some dont. It makes me wonder if there was a design change somewhere along the line. Looking at mine they don't appear, in my mind, to be purposeful, but I've heard from some other members that their guns have much more uniform cuts in these areas.

One last note, CNC's are not nearly the panacea many believe them to be, they just bring a different set of problems.

I feel like I've learned something from this thread and will respectfully bow out of this discussion.
Thank you all!