PDA

View Full Version : Spots on CM9 Slide

jimrod1969
11-13-2014, 07:53 PM
Hi Kahrtalkers. I was wondering if anyone on the forum had come across a new Kahr with small white spots on the bead-blasted stainless slide? My CM9 came from the factory with a few of these spots on the top of the slide between the rear sight and the ejection port. They sort of look like water spots that you get on a car when you wash it and the sun dries the water before you do. They are whitish in color and vary in size, with the largest maybe 1/8" diameter. Hard to get a good pic of them as light angle is important to see them really stand out. RemOil doesn't take them off and I even tried automotive wax to see if they would come off, but no luck. Anyone know what the spots are or how to get them off? Could send back to Kahr if no home remedy available. Thnx

b4uqzme
11-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Had a similar one recently but on a barrel. The op ended up polishing the spots off with Flitz. I'm not sure I'd recommend that on a slide unless you're looking for a shiny slide. Instead just try a stronger cleaner like Hoppes or Ballistol. I used a stainless steel cleaner called Barkeepers Friend and a plastic scrub pad. It cleaned up a 15 year old K40 like new. Hope some of this helps.

jimrod1969
11-13-2014, 08:27 PM
Will try those b4uqzme. Thnx

Alfonse
11-13-2014, 08:40 PM
I have some of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/647492/midwayusa-rust-and-lead-remover-gun-cleaning-cloth (http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/solvents/lead-remover-cloth-prod59702.aspx) They work great on stainless (don't use them on blue).

Clean spots right up and don't change the finish. They will get the breech of your pistol clean and are great on stainless revolvers.

dewoah
11-13-2014, 09:19 PM
I picked a MK9 this week with the same thing exactly as you described. It's unsightly and surprised me. Will be interested to see if there is a fix.

jimrod1969
11-14-2014, 12:34 AM
Thanks Alfonse, I'll order that product and give it a go. Will report back results to the forum.

jimrod1969
12-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Well in the end, I could not get the spots off, even with stainless steel cleaner. I sent the slide back to Kahr and within 2 weeks got it back looking in pristine condition. Too bad the spots were missed during initial quality assurance checks but Kahr did an excellent job turning it around as part of their warranty service!

b4uqzme
12-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Well thanks for the follow up. Sorry you had to send the slide back but all is good in the end.