PDA

View Full Version : More problems at big Green: Remington Model 887 shotgun safety warning/recall

gb6491
11-30-2014, 05:42 PM
http://887recall.remington.com/

b4uqzme
11-30-2014, 06:39 PM
So sorry to hear that. Remington is a great company. Thanks for the heads up though. Be safe!

muggsy
11-30-2014, 06:41 PM
It's a good idea to keep these recall notices on file even if you don't own one of the recalled guns. You may encounter one in the future.

CJB
11-30-2014, 07:32 PM
I work closely with production in my field of employment. What a flippin' nightmare sometimes. In my case, the usual story is "we changed the material to an improved one". And in so doing, they totally destroyed the fine balance of production to make a near faultless product.

We went to a more impermiable polymer, but... the permiability of the old material was well known, and the resultant change in the size of the parts were well established, and accounted for in production. One whizz kid with a calculator and out the door with things. OR - more likely, the Chinese material was out of spec, or the stated properties were not actually existed, or there was gross lack of homogenous ingrediants in the mix ... you name it. We even figured once that the Chinese plastic must have sat around, gotten full of dust and the made the plastic weak.

So.... I can see Remington having issues. The more you send out, the more will get screwed by your suppliers.

marcinstl
11-30-2014, 07:56 PM
wow, a gun company does a recall? what, next your going to tell us Remington is paying the freight on returns? amazing.

muggsy
12-01-2014, 06:32 AM
Almost every company has had recalls. Recalls negate lawsuits. These companies don't recall products out of the goodness of their hearts.

Scarywoody
12-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Is this run of 887 made in Illion, NY facility? As Remington slowly transitions away from New York some of the long time craftsmanship will undoubtedly be lost.

jocko
12-01-2014, 10:04 AM
It's a good idea to keep these recall notices on file even if you don't own one of the recalled guns. You may encounter one in the future.

good point, sh!t happens. Remington is a good company

AJBert
12-03-2014, 10:19 PM
IMHO, Remington was a great company for many, many years. However, for more than the past decade they have cut corners on just about everything they make. Get a 20 year old 870 and put it up to a brand spankin' new 870 and see which one you would want.

That, and the 887 is a shotgun I'd never buy. I'd turn it down if someone wanted to give me one. I do own a few Remington shotguns and rifles and absolutely have complete faith in them. But the newest one is well over 20 years old.