PDA

View Full Version : A really useful gadget!

DeaconKC
12-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Wilson Combat makes a thin checkered steel panel that fits 1911s great. Really makes it feel good. At any rate I started looking at my Sig P220 and with trimming about 4 rows off, it fit perfectly. And the best part, it only costs $10.http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc372/DeaconKC/WilsonfrontstrapSig220004_zps51ba017d.jpg (http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/DeaconKC/media/WilsonfrontstrapSig220004_zps51ba017d.jpg.html)

Harrylee
12-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Very cool how is it held on to the frame? May have to look them up THANKS

Bawanna
12-01-2014, 05:13 PM
I've used them before, they do work and feel really good. Yours look like they were made for that Sig, hard to tell it isn't real front strap checkering.

You just loosen the grip panels and they tuck under the front.

They did from time to time try and move on me but with a little effort a guy could secure them a little better.

They do feel just like real checkering. Come in blue and stainless and cuts easily with a scissors.

DeaconKC
12-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Yup, I used some EMT shears on mine. Hasn't slipped yet, but if it does start, I'll put some rubber cement on the back of it.

Bawanna
12-01-2014, 07:06 PM
The beauty of those things is you can leave pretty wood uncheckered so the grain shows well and still have an excellent positive grip.

A piece of that rubber style skateboard tape works well also but not nearly as classy, and never ever be as pretty as that Sig. That's a very very clean application. Looks really good.

ltxi
12-02-2014, 05:38 PM
I long kept a deep, dark secret. Refused to admit my real orientation for years, decades, even to myself, for fear of being shunned as an abnormal deviant. Checked in with my therapist on and off on the issue and met with some like minded folk in an occasional, casual support group. Then, a couple/few years back, encouraged by the new norms of social justice I finally screwed up the courage to come out of the closet and publicly admit who I really am. For the right gun I can swing either way, but I honestly don't care much for front strap checkering. My preference is for bare or, at most, skateboard tape.

Not all that attracted to big boobs, either. But that's a whole 'nother story

Deacon....The WC panel is nice and yours looks great on that gun.

Bawanna
12-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Itxi, I've often thought that we were brothers with different mothers but we are opposites on front strap checkering and boobs.

I don't like course front strap checkering, my Cbob is actually too course for my taste nor do I like gigantic boobs, anything under 40 is probably good.

ltxi
12-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Well, personal preferences often aren't bound to genetics. My blood brother really likes big boobs. Being a hard core liberal Democrat, tho (now there's a big genetic failure) I'd think if asked about front strap checkering he'd first think it had something to do with his aging...front strap.

My first preference is for skate tape texture, I think. And the best way to get that is...skate tape. Been criticized for that thinking more than once elsewhere. My close second choice for a .45 1911 would a bare front strap. Interestingly I've never been poked at for that. I have an otherwise wonderful early Springer TRP that I can't shoot for long unless I'm wearing gloves. Will hamburger the hell out of my fingers after more than a couple/few full mags.

muggsy
12-03-2014, 07:36 AM
Being a hard core liberal is a mental disorder that has nothing to do with genetics. You turned out alright, didn't you? I'm not a doctor, but I do play one on this website. :)

DeaconKC
12-03-2014, 05:21 PM
ltxi, you cracked me up! I tried the strap panel to see if I liked it, figured for $10 I couldn't go too wrong. And it is kind of hard [even for me] to screw up the looks of a Sig.

ltxi
12-03-2014, 06:48 PM
^I bought one of those panels from Wilson for a 1911 a good many years back when I was still in full on denial. Still have it somewhere in one of my 1911 parts boxes. It was surprisingly nice and certainly serves its purpose. And as I said, yours really looks good on that Sig.