PDA

View Full Version : Had to do it...New PM40

swilcher7
12-10-2014, 09:00 AM
I was in my local gun shop on 12/8/14 looking at the inventory. In one of their cases I noticed a NEW stainless PM40 with a price tag of $471. Next to it was a new PM9 with a price tag of $660. I thought this had to be a mistake, so I asked a clerk if I could see the gun. The pistol was in pristine condition. I asked about the price, and he stated it was correct. I left the shop and though maybe there was something wrong with the pistol. After much thought, I talked myself into purchasing the pistol on trade. So I went back on 12/9 on took possession of the PM40. The manager and the salespeople know me pretty well, and know I'm a former LEO, which enabled me to get a 5% discount on top of price. So that dropped the price of the pistol down to about $445 before taxes and fees. Brought it home, field stripped, cleaned, reassembled, etc. I called KAHR, as I was curious as to what manufacture date was. I was told date was January 2012, so that may have been reason for low price. And by no means am I complaining about that. Now I just have to get out and "shoot it like I stole it," so to speak!!

b4uqzme
12-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Well done!

Skidder
12-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Great deal. I just played $699.00 + tax for my new one.

knkali
12-10-2014, 07:28 PM
you said you got it on trade....what did you trade? and did you pay $445 plus the trade in?

swilcher7
12-11-2014, 06:56 AM
Sorry...I traded an M&P Shield w/o thumb safety, and 4 mags...$445 was what the cost of the gun was prior to the trade. It was priced at $471 and the 5% discount brought the price down to $445. With taxes (flipping 7% in Allegheny County) fees, and trade in ($275 for the shield) I paid $189 out of pocket.

swilcher7
12-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Shops around here average 60% of what gun is priced new on trade, dependent on condition. Shield cost me $400 new. The MSRP is coming down, but I have seen the Shield priced as high as $460 in some shops.

swilcher7
12-20-2014, 07:19 AM
UPDATE: Finally went to the range on 12/19/14...Happy to report 180 round through gun and NO MALFUNCTIONS of any kind!!! I was very careful to keep my eye on the followers after firing each magazine (2) and before reloading them...At the end of the session, took mags apart, and no broken followers!! WOOHOO!! (Hope this holds up.) Although you can see the marks where the feed ramp was striking them, they held up...List of ammo I fired is below..

100 rounds Federal Premium Hollow Point 180 grain
20 rounds Winchester PDX 1 180 grain
20 rounds Speer Gold Dot 165 grain (found these to have the most recoil, but manageable)
20 rounds Hornady Critical Duty 175 grain
20 rounds Barnes TAC XPD 140 grain

sharpetop
12-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Dang, all good self defense ammo for break in. If those all function, FMJ range ammo will be good to go. It sounds like you got a good one!

kwh
12-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Sorry...I traded an M&P Shield w/o thumb safety, and 4 mags...$445 was what the cost of the gun was prior to the trade. It was priced at $471 and the 5% discount brought the price down to $445. With taxes (flipping 7% in Allegheny County) fees, and trade in ($275 for the shield) I paid $189 out of pocket. Both are nice pistols. I have a Kahr CM9 and a Shield 40 S&W with safety. Just curious why the trade? Not saying it was a bad trade,I much prefer the trigger of my Kahr.

swilcher7
12-22-2014, 07:14 AM
Dang, all good self defense ammo for break in. If those all function, FMJ range ammo will be good to go. It sounds like you got a good one!

I have a stockpile of Federal Premium from my days as an LEO. Was what we carried/issued at the time. The indoor range I go to allows you to bring your own ammo, and it has been sitting for a while, so I used the oldest of the stock. Next trip will be with FMJ....Yes!!! So far it looks like I got a good one..

swilcher7
12-22-2014, 07:25 AM
Both are nice pistols. I have a Kahr CM9 and a Shield 40 S&W with safety. Just curious why the trade? Not saying it was a bad trade,I much prefer the trigger of my Kahr.

I like the way the KAHR pistols look and feel in my hand...Helps that they are accurate to..I saw the PM40 at my local gun shop, and it was calling my name!! Nothing wrong with the Shield, was a great pistol with no issues as well. I just wanted something a little smaller, (lower back issues) and the PM40 fit the bill..I had a PM45, but got rid of it due to issues I had. (STUPID!!!) And the recoil on the PM40 was absolutely controllable, although the Gold Dot had the snappiest, but controllable recoil.

kwh
12-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the answer. I probably would have made the same trade.

Stingray
12-24-2014, 12:50 AM
Plus you got stainless which, to me, is a plus and makes the cleaning process easier. I can use those yellow impregnated cloths that just remove all residue instantly.

Pointblank
12-24-2014, 04:48 AM
Nice work, now you're tempting me to get one.

swilcher7
12-31-2014, 09:35 AM
Nice work, now you're tempting me to get one.

Yeah, it's a great pistol. I thought I was loosing my mind when I saw the price, so I called them and asked what their list price was for one. They quoted me $688. I thought well, there must be something wrong with the one in the case. went in the next day and took a look at it. Not a mark on it, recoil spring was as tight as ever. I figured it must have been here for a while, but hell, at that price I gotta pull the trigger. I called KAHR to get a born on date, and was told Jan/2012, which is more than ok with me!! And as to recoil, with the exception of the Gold Dot 165 gr. I was firing, the recoil was very very manageable. The 165 gr had the most recoil of the rounds I fired. I noticed the same type of snappy recoil when I had to qualify with my GLOCK 23 and Gold Dot 180 gr some years ago. Now it has me debating between another PM45 or a PM9...Decisions, decisions....

sharpetop
01-01-2015, 06:42 PM
I've found that a little better deals can be had on the .40 caliber Kahrs as opposed the 9s and 45s. IMHO, it's due to the recoil of the .40 caliber. A lot of people just don't like that kind of recoil and compare it to a 14 ounce J-frame firing full house .357 mags.

That said I'm seriously contemplating a PM/CM series, 9mm or .40, as long as it's a great deal.