PDA

View Full Version : Hold on! My Sig P290 just blew up!!!

jkar4242
12-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Here is one for the books. Been buying and using re-manufactured ammo for about six months now. All I need to say is that this particular company has an excellent rep and has been in business about 20 years. Been shooting nothing but their ammo, sold my Dillion and after all the years of reloading it was a pleasure to not have to chase after components and stuff. At the range last week with my Khar CM9 and the Sig P290. The Khar has been through the break in period and I was working on the Sig. Plans were to compare the two from an ordinary shooters view point. The Sigs at the 400 round mark and ready to be my CC for a period of evaluation. Ready to call it a day but just had to shoot that last Mag. KA-BOOM!!! Blew the right side off that sucker. After counting my fingers and seeing no blood my shooting partner and I examined the pistol to see if we could determine what had happened. Brass case still in the chamber, took a rod and a plastic hammer to knock it out. The case had blew apart at the bottom, I believe the more learned shooters would call this a smiley. Now the one for the books. Took the case, gun and one thousand rounds to the company and did they surprise me! Owner took one look at the case, gun and shaking his head told me how sorry he was that this had happened. Walked over to one of the gun display cases, took out a new gun just like mine and said fill the paper work out, so sorry this happened. Asked me if I wanted to return the unopened box of 1000 rounds and I said yes. Gave me my money back for the bullets and said when I had time to work it out he would appreciate my business in the future. Don't know about the bullets just yet but any firearms or equipment in the future will come from there. Back to the range today, starting the test all over. 150 rounds through the new Sig, no problems.

jkar

yqtszhj
12-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Thats good service.

ltxi
12-22-2014, 03:17 PM
^ Agree....and I'd continue using his ammunition. I'd classify this as a once in a lifetime event....making you good to go from now through forever.

warbird1
12-22-2014, 05:38 PM
That's the kind of people I like to do business with. Wish there were more like that.

timboy
12-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Wow,glad to hear no physical damage happened and that is some great service from the owner!

DeaconKC
12-22-2014, 07:56 PM
I've had a Glock 23 do that, scary. Glad you are okay and that you had such a classy dealer!

muggsy
12-22-2014, 09:26 PM
That's why eye protection is paramount. You can't replace eyes.

diablo53
12-24-2014, 09:09 AM
Ok for those of us who do not know, what caused this? Weak brass? Round loaded too hot? Coupled with a chamber that was not fully supported?

Longitude Zero
12-24-2014, 10:01 AM
Perfect example of why I NEVER use anything but name brand factory fresh ammo.

SIGWolf
01-03-2015, 05:31 AM
That is remarkable customer service. I think it was the right and appropriate thing to do, but still it's remarkable customer service.

Also very glad no one was hurt. I guess those polymer guns are stronger than they might look. What caliber was it? Was this a 290RS or the earlier 290?

As Longitude said, I don't shoot reloads of any kind. I did shoot re-manufactured ammo at one point from Georgia Arms and never had an issue. I suppose part of it may be that not reloading myself, I know little about it, but usually Ka-Booms I've heard of were all with reloads or non-commercial ammunition. I have had a squib or two with commercial stuff which I then stopped using from that point, but never a ka-boom.

josp
01-07-2015, 07:29 AM
That is fantastic service! Glock eventually replaced my old G22 which blew up on a factory load but it took a while and several calls.

CPTKILLER
01-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Good job by the company.

Bill K
01-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Very impressed with the customer service you got.

Black Hills? I've used their factory fresh for years but never tried their reloads.