PDA

View Full Version : Rear night sights for PM9; yellow or orange

par3
12-23-2014, 09:25 AM
I took it on myself to replace the front sight on my PM9 with a night sight since I read someplace that a front night sight was sufficient, i.e. no rear needed.
The sight was real tight but I took my time and managed without a scratch.

Now I want to replace the standard rear sight with a night sight, preferably yellow or orange to contrast with the green front sight.

I've search all around without success! Does such a sight exist? If so, where?

muggsy
12-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Night sights should only be installed with a sight pusher. Beating on the sights with a hammer and punch can damage the vials. The sights are available from Kahr or the manufacturer of the sights.

http://www.kahr.com/Sights/Sights.asp

Stingray
12-24-2014, 12:44 AM
I went with a green front and orange/yellow rear on an HK and ended up not liking it that much. I'd go with all green. The other colors are less visible, especially as the tritium tubes age and dim over time. 3 greens is no different than 3 whites in normal 3 dot sights and they are easy to pick up. Just my opinion.

McE
12-24-2014, 05:44 AM
Neurophysiologically speaking, 3 dots of the same color will be easiest for your brain to process visuospatially, as there is no need for the automatic processes of color/brightness compensation and comparison.

For example, visualize a car's brake lights, two tails and a high mount to form a triangle. You see the lights basically on the same plane perpendicular to your line of sight.
Now, if the high mount were of a different color, it could appear either farther away or closer than it actually is, as your brain sees it in comparison to the two red tails as the baseline for color/brightness.

In my unprofessional opinion, mixing colors is just one of those chances to say you customized your gun or made some personal decision about it. Post hoc rationalization and confirmation bias will have them swearing they chose the best combination of colors for their eyes.

Now, aside from all of that, you will do just about all of your shooting in situations where the tritium color doesn't even matter because you'll be in a lit room or outdoors. So, going with green/yellow instead of green/green isn't that big of a deal, the biggest drawback is the stress you will place on that decision when it really won't matter. You will not be any less accurate for shots that need accuracy, and there are a bajillion other factors that are worthy of more consideration than the difference between green and yellow rear sight vials.

Green ones also last longest. Why choose an inferior color with an inferior lifespan? Being able to say I have some nifty color combo that makes me specialer than others is worthless to me, but seems to be worth it to others. Your call in the end. My call for all of my tritium vials is that they're all green on all of my guns. I have both Mepros and Trijicons, and prefer Mepros by a good margin.

muggsy
12-24-2014, 07:28 AM
Neurophysiologically speaking, 3 dots of the same color will be easiest for your brain to process visuospatially, as there is no need for the automatic processes of color/brightness compensation and comparison.

For example, visualize a car's brake lights, two tails and a high mount to form a triangle. You see the lights basically on the same plane perpendicular to your line of sight.
Now, if the high mount were of a different color, it could appear either farther away or closer than it actually is, as your brain sees it in comparison to the two red tails as the baseline for color/brightness.

In my unprofessional opinion, mixing colors is just one of those chances to say you customized your gun or made some personal decision about it. Post hoc rationalization and confirmation bias will have them swearing they chose the best combination of colors for their eyes.

Now, aside from all of that, you will do just about all of your shooting in situations where the tritium color doesn't even matter because you'll be in a lit room or outdoors. So, going with green/yellow instead of green/green isn't that big of a deal, the biggest drawback is the stress you will place on that decision when it really won't matter. You will not be any less accurate for shots that need accuracy, and there are a bajillion other factors that are worthy of more consideration than the difference between green and yellow rear sight vials.

Green ones also last longest. Why choose an inferior color with an inferior lifespan? Being able to say I have some nifty color combo that makes me specialer than others is worthless to me, but seems to be worth it to others. Your call in the end. My call for all of my tritium vials is that they're all green on all of my guns. I have both Mepros and Trijicons, and prefer Mepros by a good margin.

Where in the hell did this guy come from? You can't use words of more than three syllables on this forum. Your comment might be taken as an insult and most of us are armed. The nerve of some peoples children. The unmitigated gall. :)

Redstate
12-24-2014, 09:15 AM
I have tritium green front and yellow rear on a Glock 26; it is a fine combination for me. Actually, most of my pistols have a green front and plain stock sight on the rear. Remember, the focus is on the front sight. The yellow appears a little less bright than the green, and I would assume that yellow is less bright than the orange you reference.
I wear corrective lenses and if I have to look at my sights in the dark without my glasses, the green/green tend to blend together. Green/Green is fine for me with the glasses. Green/Yellow is fine with/without my glasses, Front tritium only is okay with/without my glasses.

dirtengineer
12-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Where have you seen anything other than green available?

McE
12-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Meprolight Tru-dots come in various colors, for example-

http://www.opticsplanet.com/meprolight-springfield-xd-tru-dot-45-acp-front-night-sight.html

McE
12-24-2014, 11:50 AM
I have tritium green front and yellow rear on a Glock 26; it is a fine combination for me. Actually, most of my pistols have a green front and plain stock sight on the rear. Remember, the focus is on the front sight. The yellow appears a little less bright than the green, and I would assume that yellow is less bright than the orange you reference.
I wear corrective lenses and if I have to look at my sights in the dark without my glasses, the green/green tend to blend together. Green/Green is fine for me with the glasses. Green/Yellow is fine with/without my glasses, Front tritium only is okay with/without my glasses.

Care to share what brand of night sights you have?
Trijicons have sharper dots, Meprolights have larger dots but some consider them a little more fuzzy. Difference is the lens/gem they use over the vial, Trijicons use a sapphire for the sharper dot.

Stingray
12-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Another important factor is to choose night sights that have an easily visible white outline around the tritium vial, otherwise it won't be as easy and fast to pick up the sights in the daytime. Or ones with dual fiber optic and tritium for daytime visibility too.

You could always go with a Crimson Trace laser, that's what I did on my PM9.

dirtengineer
12-24-2014, 12:12 PM
Meprolight Tru-dots come in various colors, for example-

http://www.opticsplanet.com/meprolight-springfield-xd-tru-dot-45-acp-front-night-sight.html

I meant available for the Kahr.

Redstate
12-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Care to share what brand of night sights you have?

I have the Meprolights on my Glock 26, and they have been on there for about 9 years now. I use AmeriGlo on my pistols with the tritium front sight only.

McE
12-26-2014, 03:25 PM
I meant available for the Kahr.

I suppose one option would be to get the Trijicon greens, then utilize their vial replacement service and choose a different color if they'll allow it. Last I heard the cost was $18 or so per vial to replace.