PDA

View Full Version : New CM9 shoots low

tomrkba
12-29-2014, 05:45 PM
The gun shoots 1 1/2" to 2" low at five yards. I can get center hits if I stare through the center of the front dot and raise it in the notch such that the top edge of the front sight is above the rear. What sight height do you recommend to raise the point of impact?

Armybrat
12-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Well then, at 25 yards you'll hit 'em in the nuts. You're good to go.

muggsy
12-29-2014, 06:34 PM
It could be that you are anticipating recoil and pulling down on the gun just as the shot breaks. Kahr pistols only come with one set of standard sights. The long double action trigger pull takes some getting use to. You might try moving up in bullet weight. Heavier bullets are slower and leave the barrel later allowing for more muzzle rise and impact higher. If you don't like the 12 0'clock combat hold there are after market sights available from a number of manufacturers. They or Kahr would be happy to install them for you. There is a great sight height formula available on the Dawson website.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT

berettabone
12-30-2014, 09:06 AM
The gun shoots 1 1/2" to 2" low at five yards. I can get center hits if I stare through the center of the front dot and raise it in the notch such that the top edge of the front sight is above the rear. What sight height do you recommend to raise the point of impact?

That's how I do it.................putting the ball on the tee, with just a smidge of space between the two.

alltimeqb
12-30-2014, 05:05 PM
I have a newly purchased CM9 and took it to the range. I started shooting at 7 yds, was a bit low, raised the front dot to the middle of the target and it was spot-on. Unfortunately, after 20 or so rounds, started anticipating the pop and was pulling 'em right a bit. Had to adjust to that.

Bawanna
12-30-2014, 05:34 PM
I'd definitely shoot a bunch more before I considered any sight changes. It does indeed take a bit of getting used to the trigger as mentioned.
It very common at first to shoot low and usually a bit left for a right hander.

Often times with a little time things just correct themselves.

Scarywoody
12-30-2014, 05:41 PM
I recently purchase a CM9. Low left out of the box. After the break in, which I think breaks in the shooter as well as the gun, it shoots more to point of aim. I'm used to Glocks and the width coupled with the long trigger pull was throwing the shots low left.

Nytcrawler93
01-01-2015, 06:46 PM
I had the same issue with my PM9. I hate the stock dot the I sights. Three dot Trijicons will be in Saturday. After those are installed to match my other pistols then range time will fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJB
01-02-2015, 04:16 AM
Shoot it more.
Careful trigger control.
Careful sight alignment

At 5 yards its regulation may be low! Point of impact is low at closer than regulated distances. I don't generally shoot for bullseye at five yards (15 feet), thinking more in terms of "center of mass". I think you'll find close regulation of the sights when you get into that 50 foot range or so.

skiflydive
01-02-2015, 09:56 AM
My CM9 shot low too until I started covering the bullseye with the front sight dot. All my previous shooting was "dot the i" but several people on here pointed out that these are combat sights not target sights, as are the pistols. So...concentrate on refining your pull and cover the bullseye. Worked for me.

Redstate
01-02-2015, 06:47 PM
My new K9 puts them all in the center and in a nice little group; however, I am putting them low. I am going to try skiflydive's suggestion of "covering the bullseye with the front sight dot". Mine does have the 3 dot tritiums.

tomrkba
01-02-2015, 07:27 PM
I am putting the center of the dot on the center of the bullseye and the center of the dot a smidgeon above the top of the rear sight. This results in a centered group when I don't screw up and jerk the trigger.

RRP
01-03-2015, 01:54 AM
If I had a dollar for everyone who claimed their new DAO shot low, I wouldn't have to work today.

A ball and dummy drill (https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=youtube+ball+and+dummy+drill) can help fix the tendency to shoot low. But for this to work, one has to put one's ego aside and accept that the problem is not with the gun. Not everyone can do that. Not everyone becomes a good marksman, either.

tomrkba
01-03-2015, 07:11 AM
If I had a dollar for everyone who claimed their new DAO shot low, I wouldn't have to work today.

A ball and dummy drill (https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=youtube+ball+and+dummy+drill) can help fix the tendency to shoot low. But for this to work, one has to put one's ego aside and accept that the problem is not with the gun. Not everyone can do that. Not everyone becomes a good marksman, either.

Thanks. I will find a Ransom Rest (or at least shoot it off sand bags) to verify.

This is not my first Kahr rodeo. I have owned one K9 and two PM9's that were unreliable. My last PM9 was just fine, but I sold it several years ago. I recently decided I needed a small pistol in 9mm. I shot my friend's MK9, PM9 and Ruger LC9S before getting this gun. I did not have this problem with the MK9 and PM9, but they also sported night sights.

RRP
01-03-2015, 02:39 PM
Thanks. I will find a Ransom Rest (or at least shoot it off sand bags) to verify.

This is not my first Kahr rodeo. I have owned one K9 and two PM9's that were unreliable. My last PM9 was just fine, but I sold it several years ago. I recently decided I needed a small pistol in 9mm. I shot my friend's MK9, PM9 and Ruger LC9S before getting this gun. I did not have this problem with the MK9 and PM9, but they also sported night sights.

You didn't immediately blow me off, so there's hope for you, my friend. Mastering these tiny pistols takes commitment. Lots of folks aren't willing to do the work. It sounds like you are. Dry fire is your friend. And it's free. Ball and dummy during live fire will show you when you flinch. You'll be shooting ragged holes at 7 yards in no time.

tomrkba
01-03-2015, 04:38 PM
You didn't immediately blow me off, so there's hope for you, my friend. Mastering these tiny pistols takes commitment. Lots of folks aren't willing to do the work. It sounds like you are. Dry fire is your friend. And it's free. Ball and dummy during live fire will show you when you flinch. You'll be shooting ragged holes at 7 yards in no time.

Of course! You have no idea of my experience level. I dry fired it so much in the past few days that my finger bled. "Justified" is motivating ;) I dry fire around five nights a week with various guns--now Kahr is added to the mix!

janderson021
01-11-2015, 06:14 PM
When I first started shooting my CM9 two years ago, I thought there was something wrong with the sights or something. It kept shooting low left. Now it aims much better given I've put I don't know how many hundreds of rounds through it. Maybe the sights aligned themselves, or just maybe I don't flinch so much now and am used to the trigger break.

pkitfox
01-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Totally agree with CJB. See what it does at 25 yards. Shooting low at close range would be normal for a handgun sighted at 25 yards, if I am not mistaken.