PDA

View Full Version : Gun buddies

JBowl1
01-09-2015, 08:14 AM
This may seem odd, yet I think the people on this forum will "get it" (ie, we're "gun guys"). I've recently moved and the ranges near my home aren't that good and no outdoor range. I'm looking for a ... gun buddy (ie, someone who loves guns and gear and all). It's not like we have an 800 number like single people to call and hook up. Ha. But seriously, where does a gun nut meet other gun/gear nuts?

b4uqzme
01-09-2015, 08:29 AM
Good thinkin'. How great would that be if the hot chick on the TV at 4am was also a "gun buddy". Hmmmmm. :rolleyes: Seriously, Google search for gun clubs. Also try looking for competition events: IDPA, USPSA, trap, skeet, etc. How about gun shows? You could always open carry your AR15...you'd probably meet some people fast (just kidding). :)

Bawanna
01-09-2015, 08:55 AM
Our own version of Farmers Only, cause city folks just don't get it.

We'll call it Hooters, I mean Shooters Only. Sadly ranges are in short supply in my parts too.

Talk of a new country range but it's been talk for years, ironically located in the area I used to shoot all the time in the woods before they closed the whole area down. I'll probably be in the box with the lid nailed down before they break ground.

Might post your general location Jbowl, might be some neighbors here on Kahrtalk looking for buddies too. Not in any mano mano way ya understand.

TheTman
01-09-2015, 11:56 AM
I've met some shooting friends through things like the Shriners, and other social organizations. Perhaps sell a gun on Armslist, and mention you are new to the area, and looking for people to shoot with. Your job may employee some like minded people. Some of the unions have quite a few members that shoot, if you are a union type person. Maybe attend some 2nd amendment events or join your states 2nd amendment organization. Or maybe attend some conservative political events, or Tea Party meetings. Some churches have a high number of 2nd A supporters that attend. Perhaps checking out the local military surplus type stores might lead to meeting people to shoot with. If you have a Facebook page, maybe inquire about people interested in meeting new people to shoot with. I don't really like Facebook that much for 2nd Amendment type things, but it might work. Just be aware that Law Enforcement uses it quite a bit to check the background of people they are interested in.
I don't know how well any of those will work out for you, they were just some things that came to mind.

BEARDOG
01-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Our own version of Farmers Only, cause city folks just don't get it.

Col. B That is the first thing that I thought of too when reading this LOL ... "Where's Jill? Out walking the corn fields again" LOL

OP, Try looking for a more local or state gun forum for contacts and info. Like here in PA we have the PAFOA

berettabone
01-09-2015, 01:04 PM
You could also find an NRA member near you, and see when the next meet and greet is..................................doesn't mean you have to join.

SlowBurn
01-09-2015, 01:44 PM
Maybe somebody should start a website. "eArmory.com"? Post glamour pix of your pistols from 10 years ago?

muggsy
01-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Your local cop shop might be a good source. I understand that most of them carry guns.

b4uqzme
01-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Maybe somebody should start a website. "eArmory.com"? Post glamour pix of your pistols from 10 years ago?

That's funny right there.

pbagley
01-09-2015, 04:05 PM
One of my church friends is a shooter, as are a couple of people at work. All are pretty careful about what they say (and to who) so it may take a while. Most of my shooting buddies were met at work, the rest are members of the gun club. My first gun club came as a result of befriending the owner of a new gun shop. Attending local matches is another great suggestion.

Good luck.

RRP
01-09-2015, 04:05 PM
Search the NRA site (http://nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx) for a course near you. Select a course from the list, enter your zip code and run the search. It will reveal courses near you, which may be of interest. Or, even if you aren't willing to take a class, the course listing will reveal local clubs and instructors in your area.

Attend a Friends of NRA (http://www.friendsofnra.org/National.aspx?cid=0) banquet. These are great social events and you'll meet many like-minded folks. Better yet, volunteer to assist with the event. You'll become part of the family in no time.

Attend an Appleseed shooting clinic. At $60 for a two-day course, it's a great value. Events will be advertised on this site (http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-map.php), as they are scheduled for the upcoming season. The folks I've met at Appleseed are some of the most passionate 2A proponents you'll find anywhere. Nice people.

As others have suggested IDPA, GSSF, and others are a great place to meet gun nuts.

ltxi
01-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Understand the problem. Handgun caliber ranges fairly close by are adequate but a little bit pricey and take some drive time to get to. Guess it wouldn't be an issue if I had only a couple handguns to shoot regularly but my active duty collection is varied and relatively large. Long gun ranges are available but few and not all that easily accessible. I grew up plinking in the fields and woods and still had that kind of access to informal range time more often than not up through maybe 1980. I miss those days...miss them a lot.

Baklash
01-09-2015, 04:56 PM
I moved into one of those Dell Webb retirement communities about 3 years ago. Turns out there are 5 other gun guys on my street. Talk about surprise. I also mentioned guns a couple times in the golf group from our community and immediately found 3 more guys. They are all around you. Just casually say something about guns, control, etc. and any gun guy will speak up. Worked for me. :Amflag2: