PDA

View Full Version : AIWB: I'm seeing more and more on this sort of carry

SIGWolf
01-11-2015, 05:38 AM
There are more and more people starting to carry this way and advocating it for various reasons. Like SOB, I've considered it dangerous and right now I wouldn't be comfortable carrying that way.

What are your thoughts and do you carry AIWB?

Bill K
01-11-2015, 06:33 AM
When I'm not pocket carrying (which now days is most often) I'm AIWB carrying. Doing it for about 8 years or so. About six of those years was with a Glock 26. It did take a bit of getting used to and you certainly want to be very careful when re-holstering. When it makes sense remove the holster from your waist, re-holster and then put the holster with gun back on.

muggsy
01-11-2015, 06:40 AM
Because of a shoulder injury I've always carried AIWB. The only draw back to appendix carry is that it puts the gun in close proximity to your assailant and you might have trouble drawing the gun if your grappling with an attacker up close and personal. Remaining aware of your situation negates that to some extent. I find that having the gun close to where my hand hangs naturally is a big plus. I can clear, rotate and empty the gun in about three seconds by point shooting. I'm very careful about holstering though I have little to lose and doubt that Mrs. Muggsy would miss it much. :)

berettabone
01-11-2015, 08:43 AM
I don't know why it would be any more dangerous, than carrying any other way. You still have to worry about both snubbies................................:)

RRP
01-11-2015, 08:49 AM
I don't know why it would be any more dangerous, than carrying any other way.

I agree with you. I don't think AIWB is any more dangerous than any other position, when carried. But I do think there is more of a tendency to sweep oneself when reholstering AIWB than reholstering IWB on the hip, for instance. That, of course, can be mitigated if one is conscious of the muzzle and develops safe habits when reholstering.

JohnR
01-11-2015, 08:58 AM
It's uncomfortable when sitting down, for me.

berettabone
01-11-2015, 09:10 AM
With a larger firearm, it wouldn't work for me, but with the Kahr, it works nicely.

McE
01-11-2015, 03:16 PM
It's uncomfortable when sitting down, for me.

Are you using an AIWB specific holster? These are designed to hold the gun up higher, so the end of the barrel isn't digging into anything when you're sitting. Might not work well if you wear lower rise jeans and/or have a belly.

JohnR
01-11-2015, 05:41 PM
It's both, not a specific holster and just enough belly to dig into the spare tire.

Iggy
10-15-2015, 11:33 AM
I have a Remora holster on order, but can carry my CW45 comfortably
without a holster. That's the only benefit I have found for Dunlop's disease.

Bawanna
10-15-2015, 12:36 PM
As a full time sitter with rapidly advancing Dunlop's disease (despite my best efforts to fight it), appendix carry doesn't work for me. I've never been an advocate of pocket carry, just never appealed to me, guess it's my way of sticking it to Jocko since he's a devout fan of same.

JohnR
10-16-2015, 07:14 AM
I like pocket carry, but only as a means to transport a pistol from point A to point B. Too hard to draw quickly for it to be useful in SD.

berettabone
10-16-2015, 08:11 AM
It's just as fast as IWB carry if you practice. If an assailant is on you, you might not get to it either way, pocket or IWB. I slide it between my seat and console when driving. It fits snug and perfectly. IWB you have to use your other hand to sweep clothing. Pocket carry, it helps if you use your other hand to hold the holster when drawing. I see no difference between the two, as far as speed or function. Believe me, If I could open carry without issues, I would, and it would be my first choice.

JohnR
10-16-2015, 09:19 AM
IWB you have to use your other hand to sweep clothing.
You don't have to. My right thumb pushes the shirt tail aside, then my palm finds the pistol's grip.

b4uqzme
10-16-2015, 10:27 AM
As a full time sitter with rapidly advancing Dunlop's disease (despite my best efforts to fight it), appendix carry doesn't work for me. I've never been an advocate of pocket carry, just never appealed to me, guess it's my way of sticking it to Jocko since he's a devout fan of same.

Best efforts to fight it? At least I can use the excuse that I ain't even trying. :o Somebody grab me a beer. It's five o'clock somewheres...

Iggy
10-16-2015, 11:23 AM
I've carried in every fashion, but I carried Govt model 1911s or large frame revolvers IWB for years.

When my chest "settled" a few inches I went to OWB, but with this little Kahr rascal I've been carrying it in the appendix position mexican style. I have to keep checking to see if it's there. If I move it back to the 3 or 4 o'clock position, I know it's there but it works well there too.
I've got a Remora holster on the way.
I'm not a fan of mexican carry and when the holster arrives it will be put to work for sure. I'm thinking appendix carry may get the nod.

SlowBurn
10-16-2015, 12:13 PM
It's just as fast as IWB carry if you practice. If an assailant is on you, you might not get to it either way, pocket or IWB. I slide it between my seat and console when driving. It fits snug and perfectly.
+1 on both of those. Also, I'm old and slow, but with any concern at all (example nightime in parking lot) hand is casually in pocket on the grip handle, no outward sign. That's an advantage of pocket carry over IWB for me.

muggsy
10-30-2015, 10:01 AM
A gun is only as safe as the person carrying it regardless of how it's carried.

kwh
10-30-2015, 12:56 PM
Pocket carry depends on the pocket.
I wear business casual mostly,Docker's etc. with CM9. I am on my feet most of the day. Fastest draw, most comfortable, and easiest concealment for me.
Small tight jean pockets, not so good, IWB or OWB.

TheTman
10-30-2015, 03:13 PM
With the CM/CW series, I like to carry IWB at around 10-11:00 instead of appendix, with the barrel pointed toward the outside of my leg. The barrel seems pointed in a safer direction thaf way. It's easier for me to draw from this position. AIWB seems awkward to me for some reason. The pistol goes on in it's holster and is taken off in it's holster.