PDA

View Full Version : Lipsey's SBH Bisley .44mag

b4uqzme
01-19-2015, 09:14 AM
Well I've been on the hunt for a large-bore, packing revolver: specifically a Ruger Redhawk in 45colt. I am beginning to see a few of the new 4 inch models around and prices coming down but what I really want is about a 5 inch older Redhawk with the original wood grips. I might be looking for a long time for that one. Meanwhile, I ran across this Super Blackhawk Lipsey's exclusive in .44mag with a 3.75 inch barrel and a Bisley grip. This wasn't even on my radar until I saw one in person. I had sorta written SBH's off because I wasn't looking for anything with a long barrel or in .44mag. Truth is this was WAY cheaper than those 4 inch Redhawks I was considering and a very stout gun to boot. I think it just might do the trick. In fact it just may change my mind about that .45colt thing. Talo (I think) makes a special edition snubbie Redhawk in .44mag that is a real cutie (can a .44mag revolver be cute?). Funny how as soon as you satisfy one itch...there's another immediately following. :o

Here's the SBH with a couple of its SA siblings:

Redstate
01-19-2015, 09:48 AM
Very nice collection. Glad you found what you want, even though you didn't know you wanted it.:)

Armybrat
01-19-2015, 09:52 AM
Looks like quite a nice handful.

b4uqzme
01-19-2015, 01:37 PM
Very nice collection. Glad you found what you want, even though you didn't know you wanted it.:)

^^^ exactly! It seems I rarely come home with the same gun I set out for. I think if you get too committed to something specific, you wind up over-paying or passing up on a better deal.

TheTman
01-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Looks like you found yourself a real keeper. Nice looking gun. Should be near indestructible, as long as you don't get crazy with handloads. A good sidearm for bear or wild hog country. I have a 3" .44 special, that I wish was a magnum. But it makes a nice "pillow" gun that I keep under a pillow in my bed. Very handy for when my dog starts raising hell in the middle of the night. Usually is some possum or **** on the deck looking for scraps of dog or cat food.

b4uqzme
01-19-2015, 02:26 PM
The sun came out so I mushed out back and shot off a few rounds to see how it feels. Answer: not bad. Really no worse than full power .357 out of an SP101 snubbie. And as I expected, the short barrel balances and points real nice. Shoots POA with no adjustment. WWB 240gr JSP from 7yds. I prefer shooting SA revolvers strong hand only = no problem.

Here's a few more pics:

another glamour shot
the exit hole after traveling through a 2x4 and a 4x4 back to back
the entry into the end of a log. The bullet is in there somewhere.... :D

b4uqzme
01-19-2015, 02:35 PM
Curiosity got the better of me so I went back out there with a coat hanger. I was able to shove it into that log 11.25 inches before I hit what felt like the bullet. I admit I was shooting into the end grain but...:cool:

ltxi
01-19-2015, 02:39 PM
^^^ exactly! It seems I rarely come home with the same gun I set out for. I think if you get too committed to something specific, you wind up over-paying or passing up on a better deal.

I'd long had that same the same issue with wimmen....how I ended up with my wife, actually.

Sorry, just couldn't help it. As I said elsewhere, nice gun!

b4uqzme
01-19-2015, 02:49 PM
^^^^ :yo:

Redstate
01-19-2015, 03:26 PM
Nice range report.