PDA

View Full Version : Today's environment require more firepower?

340pd
01-21-2015, 08:48 AM
Over the last couple of years I have found myself increasingly carrying guns with more capacity. My snubbie served me well for a decade, replaced with a PM9 or S&W Shield as carry gun of choice. Now, when I am with my immediate family and especially my grandchildren, a Glock 19 is in my waistband.

If my family continues to increase along with the worlds wackiness..............

can a GE 134 minigun be properly concealed in a pair of Levi's?

berettabone
01-21-2015, 09:15 AM
I haven't been increasing the capacity, just the caliber........................................... ...........

TheTman
01-21-2015, 11:28 AM
I would think the Glock with a couple of spare mags should get you out of most situations. Unless you drive into a riot or something. Which isn't too likely in these parts.
I feel pretty confident with my CW40 and soon my CM45, with a spare mag. I usually carry the highest capacity spare that is reliable in the firearm, a 7 round for the .40, and it looks like probably a 6 round CW mag for the CM45.

One thing a friend taught me that made it through high school in Mississippi, is when dealing with a group of a different culture, he never attacked the mouthy one trying to start something, he always took out the big lug that was standing there that the mouthy one was counting on to do the actual fighting. Take out the big lug first, and the mouthy one will run like a scalded cat. That was mostly fist fights in those days, with an occasional baseball bat or something, but I imagine it would be about the same thing these days. Seems like you often have some mouthy guy, usually a smaller guy, with a big goon to do his fighting for him.

jeepster09
01-21-2015, 03:29 PM
I have been doing same. I find I like my newest carry, a Springfield XDm Compact 45. Holds 10 rounds or 14 with bigger mag. It weighs less than my Sig 239 [unloaded] and is close in size.
If that don't work there is my 300 Blackout Pistol.

b4uqzme
01-21-2015, 05:14 PM
I've come to that conclusion too. For me the best compromise between concealment and capacity is a single stack with spare mags. And to berettabone's point, I have also been walking myself up the caliber ladder: 9mm - 40sw - 45acp.

RRP
01-21-2015, 05:37 PM

You'd be popular with the girls.

Bawanna
01-21-2015, 05:39 PM
I have been doing same. I find I like my newest carry, a Springfield XDm Compact 45. Holds 10 rounds or 14 with bigger mag. It weighs less than my Sig 239 [unloaded] and is close in size.
If that don't work there is my 300 Blackout Pistol.

I could never own one of these, I'd shoulder that puppy sure as shooting and then just have to turn myself into the federallies. Too much temptation there.
Fine looking shooter though, like it very much.

kwh
01-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Conflicted. My EDC is a pocket carry CM9. No extra room for extra mags. Would be just as easy for me to carry a back up CW380. Went up to a .40 S&W. Then went back down to a small double stack 9mm. (multiple assailant theory). The Kahr triggers have me spoiled. I want a double stack Kahr with a Kahr trigger. Not a Glock trigger, not a striker fired trigger with a safety, not a S.A./D.A. and have to remember to decock, and not a S.A. auto to remember to re-engage the safety.

jeepster09
01-21-2015, 07:10 PM
I could never own one of these, I'd shoulder that puppy sure as shooting and then just have to turn myself into the federallies. Too much temptation there.
Fine looking shooter though, like it very much.

I actually find that I may just take the Sig brace off, using hand on front and one on pistol grip works good especially with scope.

ltxi
01-21-2015, 07:21 PM
The only double stack that's ever worked for me, and I've tried quite a few, is my Gen2 G23. Odd because with small hands I feel the need for slim grips and a short trigger pad on my 1911s for optimum handling, but can still shoot that "fat grip" Glock quite well. While my G27, on the other hand, I have trouble properly controlling in rapid fire.

Irrespective, perhaps because I was raised on revolvers and single stack autos and taught make the shots count vice spray and pray, I've never felt much love for bulky, ammo heavy high cap sidearms.

AJBert
01-21-2015, 10:27 PM
To quote myself from a number of years back (pertaining to hunting), "It isn't the size of the bullet but the placement of the bullet."

The same can be said for SD rounds. However, them critters in the woods aren't shooting back at you. In the military you fall back on your training. So should one in a SD situation.

I've found that when shooting a single shot, whether hunting or target shooting, I tend to make sure I'm doing everything I'm supposed to do. When I have multiple rounds at my disposal, I don't quite pay attention to what I'm supposed to do. Same goes with shooting off hand.

Not sure what this has to do with the OP's original post, but I have had one or two adult beverages before and/or while replying.

This does not pertain to full auto firearms.

downtownv
01-22-2015, 04:14 AM
My highest cap handgun is a sig 229 .40, however it's also the least concealable....unless shoulder holstered under a coat or jacket.

marcinstl
01-22-2015, 06:13 AM
Over the last couple of years I have found myself increasingly carrying guns with more capacity. My snubbie served me well for a decade, replaced with a PM9 or S&W Shield as carry gun of choice. Now, when I am with my immediate family and especially my grandchildren, a Glock 19 is in my waistband.

If my family continues to increase along with the worlds wackiness..............

here is a 13 min. video (kind of boring) about handgun capacity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjnsBH9jGxc as a wheelgun guy your going to be cheering from about 10:50. caution- video shows old guy with J-frames.
(is it just me or do S&W 340pd's hurt shooters fingers? think my trigger finger is doing something wrong with the trigger guard).

JohnR
01-22-2015, 06:34 AM
"Today's environment" compared to when? I'm not a cop or an infantry soldier, all I need is the ability to squash a cockroach or two, and my PM45, Bersa BP9cc, or Sig P238 is enough for that. Now, if ISIS starts playing cowboys and Muslims, I have my Mini 30 and plenty of 7.62x39.

ltxi
01-22-2015, 02:55 PM
x2....

TheTman
01-22-2015, 03:32 PM
KWH, have you tried out a S&W M&P Pro, I think they come in 4" models now, or if not the APEX trigger kit is supposed to make the trigger better. It's different from a Kahr, but I really like it. I take up the slack with very little resistance, then hit a point where the trigger stops, after which about 5lbs of pressure gives a very crisp trigger break, very close to a SA trigger break. Sometimes it's nice to know exactly when the trigger is going to break, (target shooting, competitions, etc) which is difficult with a Kahr to do reliably. The 9mm hold 17+1, the .40, 14 or 15. The .45 is 10, with optional 13 round capacity available.

kwh
01-22-2015, 06:33 PM
KWH, have you tried out a S&W M&P Pro, I think they come in 4" models now, or if not the APEX trigger kit is supposed to make the trigger better. It's different from a Kahr, but I really like it. I take up the slack with very little resistance, then hit a point where the trigger stops, after which about 5lbs of pressure gives a very crisp trigger break, very close to a SA trigger break. Sometimes it's nice to know exactly when the trigger is going to break, (target shooting, competitions, etc) which is difficult with a Kahr to do reliably. The 9mm hold 17+1, the .40, 14 or 15. The .45 is 10, with optional 13 round capacity available. Thanks Tman. Actually I do have a S&W M&P .40 with a drop-in .357 Sig Storm Lake Barrel. I got it for OWB carry and like the way it fits my small hands. I am O.K. with the trigger but actually, I can group better with my CW45. Big problem is muzzle flip of M&P causes me to inadvertently engage the thumb safety about 2x/magazine. I removed the thumb safety. Somehow, personally, I just feel more confident with the longer smoother trigger of the Kahr in my case, preventing a negligent discharge in a stressful situation. I agree about the better trigger for target and competition,but these are my carry pistols when at my tree farm for protection against packs of wild dogs which are known to roam the area.

ScottM
01-22-2015, 07:31 PM
caution- video shows old guy with J-frames.

For some reason I found that hilarious, and I have no idea why...

Best public service announcement I've seen all week.

marcinstl
01-22-2015, 07:55 PM
For some reason I found that hilarious, and I have no idea why...

Best public service announcement I've seen all week.

30 shots in the target in 18 seconds from 6 J-frame 5 shots carried in a book bag. sure puts a dent in the high capacity is bad argument.

ScottM
01-22-2015, 08:12 PM
30 shots in the target in 18 seconds from 6 J-frame 5 shots carried in a book bag. sure puts a dent in the high capacity is bad argument.

I believe it most certainly does. It also dents the "old dudes swinging antique guns are dinosaurs" thing as well.

Dbholfo
01-23-2015, 08:22 PM
I was too old when I started to not go straight to .45 ACP. I started with a Ruger P345 and after 5 years I downsized to my excellent PM45 which I'm still breaking in.

Nytcrawler93
01-23-2015, 09:14 PM
If you need more than a PM9 with a spare mag then you should have been running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marcinstl
01-25-2015, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=Nytcrawler93;331317]If you need more than a PM9 with a spare mag then you should have been running.

somebody should put up a training video, "urban suppressive fire (covering fire) for senior shooters". this video would show some old guy attempting to run while shooting over his shoulder at the pack of bad guys. ("feet don't fail me now").

mser
01-25-2015, 10:08 AM
Pretty much boils down to what each individual is comfortable with. For me, it's a PM9 with two spare seven round magazines on my person. As backup, in the center console or door pocket, is a Glock 19.

ltxi
01-25-2015, 02:59 PM
Pretty much boils down to what each individual is comfortable with. For me, it's a PM9 with two spare seven round magazines on my person. As backup, in the center console or door pocket, is a Glock 19.

Now that there be the essence of it.

downtownv
01-25-2015, 04:06 PM
I Think, that if you were in a shtf scenario, the BG will not be expecting any return firepower. Element of surprise will be in your favor even with a .22 he will have this as an "END" result.