PDA

View Full Version : Left - Right, Comments Please

jkar4242
01-22-2015, 09:57 AM
I am right handed and shoot right handed. I have always had the problem of shooting to the left, regardless of the pistol make. I realize that a big part of this is due to grip, finger placement on the trigger and so on. I was told to try and shoot left handed and gave it a try with some amazing results. It is of course uncomfortable and does not come natural but after working on the grip and getting used to it I am center target ! It will take a great deal more practice to reach a natural and comfortable acceptance of this but the results so far are encouraging. Anyone have a comments or have you heard of this tactic before?

jkar:confused:

Bawanna
01-22-2015, 11:26 AM
Are you left eye dominant by chance? It really shouldn't matter that much shooting a handgun but it could be a factor.

marshal kane
01-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Can't argue with successful results but some of us correct this problem by applying more or less finger on the trigger. If you're shooting left, more finger on the trigger usually provides a straight back pull or even results in groups to the right. Less finger on the trigger provides the opposite results.

JohnR
01-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Can't argue with successful results but some of us correct this problem by applying more or less finger on the trigger. If you're shooting left, more finger on the trigger usually provides a straight back pull or even results in groups to the right. Less finger on the trigger provides the opposite results.
That's what has worked for me.

marcinstl
01-22-2015, 01:43 PM
with a rest or vise, check the sights and adjust as needed. when the gun is shooting bullseyes move on to shooting unsupported. shoot a 3 shot group doing the best sight alignment and trigger control you can. repeat this a few times. (I'm usually a little low and left.) ( right eyed and shooting right handed). (some times I way low and left, flinch/blink). the flinch/blink is natural, just the bodies defense mechanism countering recoil, muzzle flash, slide movement, brass flying around. put some snap caps in the mix. when the gun goes click instead of bang, did you blink, flinch, dip the barrel? shooting lefty has temporarily got you out of bad habits learned shooting righty. if on any given day, you pick up an accurate gun and shoot left and low, change point of aim to the right and higher.
watch this-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=620LlSK3Oyo

SlowBurn
01-22-2015, 02:09 PM
watch this--

That makes too much sense. Great video. Thanks

ltxi
01-22-2015, 02:40 PM
I am right handed and shoot right handed. I have always had the problem of shooting to the left, regardless of the pistol make. I realize that a big part of this is due to grip, finger placement on the trigger and so on. I was told to try and shoot left handed and gave it a try with some amazing results. It is of course uncomfortable and does not come natural but after working on the grip and getting used to it I am center target ! It will take a great deal more practice to reach a natural and comfortable acceptance of this but the results so far are encouraging. Anyone have a comments or have you heard of this tactic before?

Right handed pistol shooters tend to pull left. Lefties the opposite. It's a straight back trigger pull/pressure, let it break clean issue....grip fit, grip, finger placement, training/practice. If you're placing left right handed and still on target with your left after a bit of left handed familiarization your sights may need a bit of correction to get the gun correct.

Col has a thought to consider as well, tho shoot both eyes open and it should never make a difference.

hardluk1
01-22-2015, 03:25 PM
Ya just have to adjust where your finger sets on the trigger and make a straight pull to the rear. No side pressure.

marcinstl
01-22-2015, 04:06 PM
That makes too much sense. Great video. Thanks
the taxpayers are funding those videos, so we might as well watch them. that dryfire and hold drill will make you cry, minute seems like an hour. Army has some good shooting vids.

RRP
01-22-2015, 05:48 PM
~~ if on any given day, you pick up an accurate gun and shoot left and low, change point of aim to the right and higher.

Perhaps I missed the point of this statement, but I strongly disagree with it.

This is a classic case of treating the symptom, rather than fixing the problem. Shooting low left is a result of poor fundamentals. Adjusting point-of-aim to offset poor skills, as you suggest, does not fix the problem. In a life-death situation, I won't remember to aim at the threat's left shoulder, in order to put rounds center mass. It's best to work on correcting the root problem. The video series, to which you linked, is a very good place to start.

RRP
01-22-2015, 05:57 PM

This is quite common, jkar, and I've seen it manifest when shooting from one's support hand--such as you did-- as well as shooting one-handed from either side.

The reason for it is when we shoot from a position we don't often use, we pay much more attention to fundamentals. Sight-alignment, sight-picture, trigger control are foremost on our minds, because these have not yet become reflexive actions when shooting from a rarely used shooting position. And because we're more focused on fundamentals, our hits are often more accurate (although speed is usually slower).