PDA

View Full Version : CT9 and CW9 frame swap

ABNAK
01-29-2015, 01:03 AM
I bought a CT9 the other day. Wife has a CW9 she's had for a while and it is 100% reliable. I wanted to cut the grip of the CT9 down to CW9 length and still have the 4" barrel. Set out measuring where to make my witness marks and as I was comparing the frames it hit me: swap them! Carefully looked at both frames and they were identical internally. Carefully looked at the underside of the slides and they too were identical, save for the length obviously.

I put the CT9 slide onto my wife's CW9 frame and test-fired a few rounds. No problems, slide locked back as it should. Then I put the CT9 frame onto my wife's CW9 slide. Again, test-fired and had no issues. The CT9 frame had to be trimmed back a tad as it protruded slightly in front of the CW9 slide. No problemo.

I wanted the CTslide/CW frame gun for concealed carry, IWB to be more specific. I can enjoy the ballistic advantage of a full-length 4" barrel while not having the CT's grip print with a T-shirt in the summer (at least not nearly as easily). Only thing is one round less of ammo but I can live with that. My wife doesn't carry IWB and carries a Ruger LCP if she wants one really concealed, so she was cool with me swapping frames and slides.

Have to work a few nights then go out of town for a few days, but when I get back I will put 100rds through each newly created weapon for reliability's sake.

I plan on carrying HST 147gr +P in mine.

kwh
01-29-2015, 07:15 PM
Good idea. I was thinking along the lines of a CT45 cut off but maybe it would work with the slide swap on my CW45.

ABNAK
02-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Took my hybrid out today and put 114 rounds through it without a hitch. 30 of those were the HST 147gr +P's I plan to carry in it. Now the next thing is to take my wife's hybrid out and put a few through it for reliability's sake (not that I have doubts but since it's hers I wanna be sure it functions 100%).

Glock 19 went back in the safe as I now have my CCW piece!

garred8787
02-13-2015, 04:15 PM
we need some pics! i'd buy a cw in a heart beat to do this swap. love my ct's. have the 9 and 45 but also was planning on chopping the frames. The ct9 has been taken over by the mrs. so I have to buy another 9mm kahr anyways.

ABNAK
02-15-2015, 05:27 PM
we need some pics! i'd buy a cw in a heart beat to do this swap. love my ct's. have the 9 and 45 but also was planning on chopping the frames. The ct9 has been taken over by the mrs. so I have to buy another 9mm kahr anyways.

It looks just like the one in this blog:

http://unreadbits.blogspot.com/2006/03/kahr-tp9-review.html