PDA

View Full Version : hot often to detail strip slide?

olympicmotorcars
07-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I have about 400 rounds through my PM 40 and was just wondering how often does everyone detail strip their slide? I have read lots of varying opinions on this, on Glocks from never to every time it is shot. I have detail stripped my G27 a couple of times and the firing pin channel was surprisingly dirty. I understand a piece of trash in the wrong place in that channel can render your weapon useless at the worst possible time.

Every time I clean my PM 40 I have sprayed cleaner in the little hole in the channel to clean it out (as suggested on this site). Is this usually all that is necessary? After reading the warning from Kahr in my owners manuel about stripping down any further than just a detail strip will void the warranty, I am somewhat reluctant to do this.

I have also briefly read the detail strip procedures for my PM and it looks quite a bit more involved than my Glock.

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this subject.

thanks

Bawanna
07-03-2010, 04:25 PM
If your using the clean out hole each time you clean, you should not have any issues. Taking down the slide is not difficult using the thread here under the tech section. Things do tend to jump out more than a glock but it's very similar actually.
Make up one of the little coat hanger spring holders and that simplifies things immensely. Work inside a big freezer bag if your in doubt the first time so if anything jumps out you'll catch it in the bag.
Once you've done it you'll find thats it's not really a scarey thing to take on.
The clean out hole gets the job done so all of the above is really unnecessary unless your experienceing a problem.

jocko
07-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I have about 400 rounds through my PM 40 and was just wondering how often does everyone detail strip their slide? I have read lots of varying opinions on this, on Glocks from never to every time it is shot. I have detail stripped my G27 a couple of times and the firing pin channel was surprisingly dirty. I understand a piece of trash in the wrong place in that channel can render your weapon useless at the worst possible time.

Every time I clean my PM 40 I have sprayed cleaner in the little hole in the channel to clean it out (as suggested on this site). Is this usually all that is necessary? After reading the warning from Kahr in my owners manuel about stripping down any further than just a detail strip will void the warranty, I am somewhat reluctant to do this.

I have also briefly read the detail strip procedures for my PM and it looks quite a bit more involved than my Glock.

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this subject.

thanks

have the same striker clean out hole. I have well over 5000 rounds through my g19 and I just spray clean the striker area through that clean out hole. I have never taken it down any further. I can but I just don't see the need.. If your gonna do it much, make sure you have a good supply of those little springs that just seem to vanish..

mr surveyor
07-03-2010, 04:54 PM
ditto what the "wise one" stated!

take a can of gunblaster, or any other firearms related product, and blow out the crud via the "clean out hole"..... inside face of the slide about 1/3 distance back from the breach face. Put the "straw" from the high pressure can of solvent in the hole (outside, preferrably) and blow the crud out. I would guess that this doesn't need to be done much more that every 500 rounds or so, depending on how "dirty" the ammunition is. But, I think it prudent to at least do this before firing a new, fresh out of the box, handgun. And, do NOT overlube the striker channel. If you do, you're just going to attract all the carbon/powder residue, as well as tiny brass shavings from the primers, into the striker channel. In the presence of too much oil, this stuff will make up a very nasty goo that won't play nice with your gun. Actually, that's not just a problem with Kahr pistols, or striker fired pistols in general, but with ALL firearms. Too much lube = too much goo! (actually I learned the clean-out hole thing from Jocko, but I'll give credit to Bawanna for pointing it out:D)

surv

jocko
07-03-2010, 05:02 PM
bawanna likes that when he gets credit. kinda builds his low "ego" up. Next thing he will be telling us is that he was actually on the space craft whe it landed on the moon but he was just to tired to get off and take a walk.!!!!

mr surveyor
07-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Jocko

hhmmmmmm... I'd swear I've seen pics of the surface of the moon with 1 inch wide tire tracks. If the B man says he's been there, I ain't gonna doubt it one bit:)

and, thanks for pointing out the "clean out hole". Can't be simpler than that.

and, Bawanna, I Love Ya Man (in a manly sort of way)

surv

Bawanna
07-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I was there. Those were my tracks. Pretty light headed up there I think my brain was weightless.
I invented the internet when I was there.

I love you too in a normal manly way ya know.

mr surveyor
07-03-2010, 08:13 PM
well... I ain't gonna sit by the bon fire and sing kum-ba-ya... I can't even spell it:D

surv

ripley16
07-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I doubt you need to do it at all unless the gun needs a repair or becomes extra dirty or fouled in an unusual manner such as dropped in mud or water.