PDA

View Full Version : sight color

berettabone
02-02-2015, 02:47 PM
I've always found it kind of interesting, that any two people with perfect vision, see every color differently. I've been experimenting with different sight colors for a while, to see which color/colors are best for me. I won't list every color I tried, but it was MANY.................................I've grown up with nearsightedness, with an astigmatism, and I am color deficient. A known fact, that there is no such thing as color blindness. My color deficiency, is lousy, on a scale. With all that being said, I always come back to the color white. I also tried combos with white and a different color, but always preferred the white for both ends. It got me started, because when I acquired my MK, it has what I think, are the brightest white sights that I've seen so far. I would really like to find out what type of paint they are using. Right now, I use the Testors white. It works well, and I have no problems with it coming off. If anyone has knowledge of a super white paint that I could use....non glow, I would appreciate the info. If night sights were less expensive, I would outfit all of my arms with them, but that's more than I will ever spend for sights. So, for now, the white is the ticket.

jeepster09
02-02-2015, 02:59 PM
I find I really like the Orange Trijicon HD sights, I tried the yellow and they did not work as well for me. Another good option for painting your own is fishing lure paint. Many colors and very durable.

berettabone
02-02-2015, 04:15 PM
A couple examples...........................

ltxi
02-02-2015, 06:10 PM
White outline Trijicon for trits or gold bead front if not pretty much be my only care abouts.

Redstate
02-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Sorry i can't help with the paint; however, have you ever considered going front tritium only, with stock rear sight? It would save you some money. This is the way most of my Glocks are set up.

340pd
02-03-2015, 07:25 AM
Poorly photographed, but orange vs yellow Ameriglo i-Dots. My eyes prefer the yellow. http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/390844d0-3e40-4cdd-a06c-94eba65dc85b_zps065c6783.jpg http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/adcc16b8-17b6-4736-b4aa-7f6c36944ce9_zps227db061.jpg

getsome
02-03-2015, 09:17 AM
If you want white paint for a front sight go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a little bottle of appliance epoxy enamel touch up paint....I did my LCP front sight with it and have done other pistols in the past and it's good stuff and will stay on very well....If you want a bright color like orange try some Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails" brand of ladies fingernail polish...It's not as good as the appliance paint but it also stays on very well and really helps you find that front sight...

berettabone
02-03-2015, 09:49 AM
That appliance enamel sounds like something different to try. I have tried EVERYTHING else.............................................. .........

Bawanna
02-03-2015, 10:09 AM
"Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails" brand of ladies fingernail polish"

Suttle and not too flashy, I'm wearing it now.

One of the new sight systems that does not work for me is Fiber Optic. I just can't pick them up to save my backside.

Of the two samples above yellow and red, the yellow works best for me hands down.

I like XS front sights, the white ring around the night sight shows up for me well.

I also like a black back with a contrasting front. Just put a brass bead recently on my Cbob and it works very well.

berettabone
02-03-2015, 10:41 AM
I like the big dot sights also, and if they were free, I'd probably have them on all of my firearms. I'm glad you came out of the "polish" closet...it's a freeing experience isn't it. I hope the wife doesn't get mad, when she finds her "stuff" all used up.:)

berettabone
02-03-2015, 11:23 AM
The fiber optics don't do it for me, either...................I am contemplating putting a big dot on the front of my 1911, and blacking out the rear. I can always change the rear back, if needed. It's just, every time at look at my drivers license, it still doesn't say Rockefeller. You may or may not have this same issue.:)

Bawanna
02-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Oh, wife has her own. We have boundaries don't cha know. We do share from time to time.

340pd
02-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Gander mountain, Cabelas, Bass Pro, all have departments that sell fluorescent fishing lure paint. Low cost, and a lot of color options. White as an undercoat really helps.

muggsy
02-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Bawanna, kinda light in the loafers. Who da thunk it. :)

ltxi
02-03-2015, 02:27 PM
That appliance enamel sounds like something different to try. I have tried EVERYTHING else.............................................. .........

I've used it in the past....works pretty well. Have a couple of long term 1911's with dead trits I'm putting back into service, at least for awhile, I'll be using this on as a temporary fix.

Armybrat
02-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Somebody posted here or one of the other gun boards that he bought a little bottle of a "glow in the dark" type paint for $8 that he applied to his front sight. Posted a pic and it showed up as well as the Tritium sight does. If it faded or wore off after a year or so he could just repaint it, as the bottle held enough for several applications. Can't recall the brand name though.

berettabone
02-03-2015, 05:03 PM
I've seen many different brands of that paint. From what I've read, the glow never lasts as long as they claim. Most say 3 -4 hrs. max.

Dbholfo
02-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Glow has to be charged with a light source. It lasts a couple hours but not all night. Best when sealed with clear nail polish after 12 hours dry.

I put it on my P345 and it's better than old night sights. I like the original sights on my PM45.

berettabone
02-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Too much info....................:)

DeaconKC
02-05-2015, 10:08 AM
Try just putting a Trijicon on the front, ltxi was spot on about them. The ones on my duty Glock are 15 years old and still bright.

jlottmc
02-08-2015, 03:41 PM
I prefer flat black for everything but the front dot, that will be either the most obnoxious green I can find, a faux ivory bead, a brass bead or gold bead. I prefer gold because they don't tarnish like brass, especially after cleaning the thing. I like fiber optic in green, red is ok as a substitute if I can't have green. As for what to paint them with, Engine Enamel, preferably with ceramic in it. Spray it onto a disposable surface and apply like other paint while still wet, let it dry and off you go.

Bawanna
02-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Where ya been Jlott, figured you'd done left us for good.

Barth
02-08-2015, 05:49 PM
For me it depends on the gun.
I liked Ameriglo I Dot Pros (something like HDs) on my Talo EXO Glock.
Then put a big red Ameriglo front on my Sig P239.
But later changed both out for Big Dots.
I'm kind of a CQC guy.

That said -
1) I love the factory Kahr three dots on my MK40 Elite and don't intend to change them.
2) Changed my HK45c sights to Big Dots and didn't like them.
Switched to Heinie Tactical Slant Pro Quick Straight and love them on that gun.
3) My USPT45 runs three dot adjustable Meps - it's my favorite handgun.
Being adjustable - I've dialed them in for bulls-eye shooting.
And Meprolight NS are super easy to pick up in low light.
The Meps are staying on the gun.

jlottmc
02-09-2015, 06:24 AM
I've been lurking more than posting lately, been real busy.