PDA

View Full Version : Is there an aftermarket Trigger for the PM40?

Lew
07-03-2010, 06:47 PM
:confused::7:I put 50 rounds through my new PM40 with crimson laser.
At 10 yards hitting a barn door would be problematical.

While the sights are clearly not aligned (why not on a new gun??) the main trouble was the trigger.

I have never, ever, operated a worse trigger.
The trigger pull is way too long.
There are several friction bumps during the pull that lead one to think firing is about to happen but does not.

If there is an aftermarket trigger available, I will try it.

If not the new gun goes into the trash.

olympicmotorcars
07-03-2010, 08:02 PM
I have a new PM 40 also and have been extremely pleased with the trigger, in fact it is one of the reasons I bought it. I am an old revolver guy and it reminds me of my glass smooth Colt Python trigger more than any other weapon I have ever fired.

I know it is a little on the long side but you may have some trash or debris inside the gun causing it to feel gritty. Have you cleaned it? I cleaned mine before I shot it and was suprised to find metal shavings in it, Kahr does not clean them at all before they ship them.

Lew
07-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Yep! Cleaned and lubricated prior to taking it to the range.

Tack
07-04-2010, 04:52 AM
I would suggest that you have someone else try the trigger.

You might try dry firing as well. Lay a dime across the top of the front sight, if you can't dry fire without the dime falling off the sight, then your trigger control is the issue.

When you say the sights are clearly not aligned, do you mean the iron sights, or the Crimson Trace Laser isn't regulated to the iron sights? What type of group are you talking about?

Check your grip and finger position on the trigger as well, for most people it's centered between the tip of the finger and the first joint.

Where were the shots on the target? And are you Right or Left handed?

I've found the triggers on both of my Kahrs to be quite good, most stock revolvers wish they had the trigger a Kahr comes out of the factory with.

Granted it's not a good 1911 trigger, but it's not supposed to be.

Without seeing the target, a bit more information is needed to help.

jocko
07-04-2010, 10:27 AM
let us know when you throw it in the trash. Kahr triggers are loooong by design, 3/8" matter of fact. You should have noticed that when you were buying it. Kahr triggers are extremely smooth and 50 rounds is part of what kahr calls their break in rounds. It will get very smooth indeed, as far as accuracy, "it's always the guns fault".

and to answer your qusstion, there is no after market trigger. You are very critical of a gun that you have shot 50 rounds through it and with a Crimson mounted on it to boot..

OK, it's ur turn Bawanna!!

Bawanna
07-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Well you got first dibs on the trash can, not sure I have anything to add. I'm a day late and a dollar short. All systems normal.

In cases like this I'd love to see something happen to 180 Lew's opinion but we all know that doesn't always happen. Give it more trigger time Lew and it sure wouldn't hurt the odds none. The trigger requres getting used to by the most experienced shooters. It's really not wrong, it's just different.

No mention of what Lew is accustomed to prior to this.

Lew
07-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I am left handed. I am a short guy with small hands so a long pull really hurts my accuracy.

After I settled down a bit, the last 15 or so rounds were low (around 8 inches at 10 yards) and to the right about 3 inches. The result is hardly a "group" but generally the size of a softball. My target has holes everywhere except in the center.

My gunsmith checked the iron sights after I came back from the range and indeed the rear was off nearly 1/8 inch on one side. That it shipped from the factory that way says volumes. He had also lined up the crimson with a laser bullet in the barrel at about 10 yards prior to my going to the range. I don't have a gun vise so I will have to get my gunsmith to take it to the range and set the sights.

After about 18 rounds I switched to my Glock 20C for a while and had an inch an a half hole where some 20 rounds impacted. By comparison, the Glock trigger was really smooth with no hint of grit as on the PM40. Yes, the Glock trigger is too long of a pull for my liking (I will fix that) but at least I could manage.

I am a former Marine (if there is such a thing, last served some 53 years ago) and have a GI 1911 vintage 1918 that I have lots of time on along with a Dan Wesson 44 Magnum. Both of those will put the Kahr to shame on accuracy and trigger feel.

I understand there is some kind of slick coating that can be applied to the trigger parts but I don't remember where I saw that on the internet. Can someone point me to where I can find it? If I can get the trigger smooth, I will go for the porting/compensation to keep me from being most of the inaccuracy.

:59:Kahr gets an insane amount of money for the PM40 with Crimson. To come with lousy sight alignment and jerky trigger is simply irresponsible.

:crazy:And I had several FTF and FTE events even though I polished the ramp prior to going to the range (and lubed and cleaned). I am expecting the unreasonable 250 round break-in suggested by Kahr will settle that issue.

I am thinking the Kahr reputation is really unearned or that the company has been handed over to the bankers/accountants with no respect for the shooting public.

joshh
07-05-2010, 07:53 PM
i'd return it. sounds like you already made up your mind about the gun. sounds wierd. i could not be happier with my new pm9. the more i shoot it the more i like it & it's as accurate as any 9mm i've ever shot. the trigger is different (long & smooth) but better carry setup than everything i researched for a ccw. what do you shoot that you like?