PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes

Dietrich
07-04-2010, 06:51 AM
I am told that these predators are in every North Carolina county now.People are losing small pets,poultry and newborn small livestock.I need to check the N.C. Wildlife regs. about thinning these bad boys out.However,if Mrs.Dietrich sees one near her beloved daschunds,it won`t matter what the state says.It will be a dead coyote.She`ll probably kill the thing with her bare hands.When I first met her,they had her wrestling mules at the state fair so I ain`t worried about her ability to handle a damned coyote.

wyntrout
07-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Morning, Dietrich. Happy picnic and fireworks day. I guess that's all most folks care about.

Coyotes are everywhere. I haven't seen any in my yard here... yet, but I have seen a red fox come up my sidewalk to the front door. I thought it was a dog until I saw his cheek fur. We're more likely to see alligators down here. When it's rutting season, the males go looking for females... most of them, anyhow.:D

I got up earlier than usual... woke up in my TV chair... and looked outside... it wasn't raining, so I put THE Flag up, got my paper, and walked across the street to put my neighbors newspapers out of sight while they are gone.

I finally went and picked up my new shotgun yesterday... the Charles Daly Tactical Semi-Auto 12-ga. The dang thing had a plug in the magazine and would only hold TWO rounds! I removed that and tried to see if there was any space left after sticking five 2 3/4" rounds in the tube. Nope, the 5th one was a little harder to get in. I had hoped that I might get another one in there since it is chambered for 3" shells. I guess that only 4 of those would fit. I've only planned on using 2 3/4" loads, anyhow, unless I want some kind of exotic armor-piercing round... you never know. There's a lot of stuff available for 12 ga.
So, how are you doing?
Wynn:)

gunmut
07-04-2010, 09:29 AM
When I was a kit living in SE Oklahoma we would hear coyotes at night around the house at times yepping and making all sorts of noise. never saw them in the daylite hours. Now I live in The Tulsa area and see them at all hours of the day and night. We have a boston Terrier mix, she has a real fear of coyotes and is fealess around any dog that she sees.

I was in my office one day and saw one trot across the parking lot around 10 am in a built up urban area!:confused:

rglbegl
07-04-2010, 10:35 AM
. . . ..When I first met her,they had her wrestling mules at the state fair . . . .
I met my wife while she was swapping an engine on a car. I thought that was odd, but I think you got me beat.

Coyotes are legal to be shot here sun up to sun down. Only rule is that you have to dispose of the body.
As long as you have a hunting license, there are no tags needed.

Bawanna
07-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Here if the coyote or any other animal is doing damage to your property and threatening your beloved weiner dogs (never can spell datsun right) would qualify, your' wife would have a green light. If she did it with her bare hands that would be even better. Do let her know that Bawanna is a mule lover from way back, prefer a mule to a horse anyday. Some do have a woman attitude from time to time. (Don't tell her that part, might earn me a whoopin.
I see coyotes from time to time, my biggest fear is in my enthusiasm to kill something I'll shoot the neighbors german shepard.
If I look long enough I can pretty much tell but there's always that nagging question, ya know.

jfrey
07-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Hey Dietrich, if coyotes become a problem, contact or make a new friend in Texas and borrow one of those Coyote Specials made by Ruger. That should do the trick. The governor used one to dispatch a coyote menacing his daughters lab puppy (so the story goes). The little pistols are a big success here and sold out almost immediately.

BTW we have tried for years to get rid of the coyote and hog problem in Texas and it ain't gonna happen. They reproduce faster than Hornady can make bullets to get rid of 'em.

Anyway, enjoy the 4th, burn some meat and thank a vet.

mr surveyor
07-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Hey Dietrich, if coyotes become a problem, contact or make a new friend in Texas and borrow one of those Coyote Specials made by Ruger. That should do the trick. The governor used one to dispatch a coyote menacing his daughters lab puppy (so the story goes). The little pistols are a big success here and sold out almost immediately.

BTW we have tried for years to get rid of the coyote and hog problem in Texas and it ain't gonna happen. They reproduce faster than Hornady can make bullets to get rid of 'em.

Anyway, enjoy the 4th, burn some meat and thank a vet.

we don't want to eradicate coyotes and hogs..... there's just way too much pleasure for those of us the like to "hunt" them. Season's open 24/7 - 365 still, but with the popularity of "hog hunting" building so fast the last couple of years we may see TPW start a ferral hog season and find a way to "profit" from it. I learned coyote calling in 1969, and by 1975 just quit shooting them on the farm. They were too much fun to outsmart to see how close I could get them in. Manaed to get a b!tch fox and her two pups to come into a love grass field and circle my 3-4 time from no more than 15 feet away, apparantly teaching the "kids" how to hunt. On the farm I managed the "yotes" ended up not being the problem during calving season... turned out to be packs of stray/ferral dogs. As for the recent increase in the ferral hog population.... yep, they can do tremendous damage to hay meadows as well as bottom lands. The hay meadow damage is pretty self explainatory, but you have to chase them into the natural digs in the nasty creek bottoms to see the potential erosion damage they are causing in those areas. I've seen hog "wallers" as big as a house and as much as 3-4 feet deep, and trees debarked up to about two feet off the ground where the hogs rub. Lots of erosion and dead trees, almost as bad as overpopulation by beavers.

In case any one's interested, you furnish the beer and I'll do the calling, BUT, I'll drink the beer and you do the shooting. I prefer the last two hours in the evening before dark-thirty. That's the time the yotes will start moving, and with a proper "stand" location you can watch them hunting you.

Wow.... did I get off topic? Naaahhhh.... I remember seeing the words hogs and coyotes..... couldn't be off topic then.

surv:D

swampman
07-04-2010, 06:59 PM
South Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources just passed a law,Where we can hunt Coyotes and Hogs at night now.24-7,I think the hogs and coyotes will be in for a big surprise.:)

mr surveyor
07-04-2010, 08:18 PM
South Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources just passed a law,Where we can hunt Coyotes and Hogs at night now.24-7,I think the hogs and coyotes will be in for a big surprise.:)

can you run the hogs with dogs? That's the big thrill in the river bottoms around herre, at least those younger and/or more physically fit than me. These boys will turn the dogs loose and try to chase them, then when the dogs are on the hogs they move in. They quit shooting, now they let the dogs "ear" the hogs, and the boys move in with "pig stickers". These boys become quite good at minor surgery on their dogs as well. Some of the hogs can rip a dog's gut from end to end, and the guys clean 'em up, stitch 'em back together, give 'em a dose of antibiotic, and the dogs are back in the woods within a couple of weeks.

Me and Bawanna will sit back and take the long range shots:)

surv

jlottmc
07-04-2010, 08:32 PM
I agree surv, I used to catch a rabbit or squirrel and get them to squealing to call the yotes in, that was back when I had time to get get paid to shoot them. I take hog and coyote as time allows. Dietrich, if I remember correctly (I used to live in Caswell County) you can shoot them with no worries. I wish I had time to take bounties again though. Made some real good money like that.

swampman
07-04-2010, 08:37 PM
can you run the hogs with dogs? That's the big thrill in the river bottoms around herre, at least those younger and/or more physically fit than me. These boys will turn the dogs loose and try to chase them, then when the dogs are on the hogs they move in. They quit shooting, now they let the dogs "ear" the hogs, and the boys move in with "pig stickers". These boys become quite good at minor surgery on their dogs as well. Some of the hogs can rip a dog's gut from end to end, and the guys clean 'em up, stitch 'em back together, give 'em a dose of antibiotic, and the dogs are back in the woods within a couple of weeks.

Me and Bawanna will sit back and take the long range shots:)

surv
Yes,That is tradition here,I prefer to shoot instead of sticking,people have been hurt very badly trying the traditional way.:)

jlottmc
07-04-2010, 08:47 PM
I agree shoot them, much safer that way. People just don't realize how much damage a hog can do, and the 'yotes when they pack up on you. Besides, I like moving targets, and I like to play with the yotes they be smart critters :D

Bawanna
07-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Speaking as a fellow that spent many a morning stuck in the corn crib trapped by a damn mean of domestic sow as a lad till my grandad would think to come looking for me, I speak hog talk. I recall a neighbor or two that even as adults got knocked down and ate up by hogs.
The wild ones ain't nothing to mess with with no sticker.
I'm with Surveyor, we'll cover the long range shots. OR, since we're gonna maybe borrow JohnH's hemi maybe we could chase em. We could take turns driving while the other shoots out the winda. Heck maybe it's got a sunroof, couple brackets and screws we could set up a rifle mount.

mr surveyor
07-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Bawanna

NOW yer talking!

We get JohnH to supply the truch, and with a few parts here and there we can build a hydraulic lift on the back to take up up to the elevated shooting platform covered with camo net. Park the truck up hill from the creek bottom, bait out a few select spots with "HogWild", and make an evening out of it.

I managed a "demonstration farm" for our local junior college back in the 70's, and we had quite an extensive hog production program. First thing the newborns got was a touch of the "clippers'. The "eye teeth" (future tusks) were snipped out, then the tails docked up to their ass. The "oysters" were removed a few weeks later. That kept them pretty well under control, although not "harmless". We had a farrowing barn, a weaning barn and a finishing barn.... I had to hose the concrete floors of all three at least daily, sometimes twice. Lots of "contact" with the vile creatures. As long as you kept a couple of old bowling balls and a few 3-4 foot long pieces of heavy logging chain in the pens with the ones on the finishing floor, they were content to just fight and play with their "toys". Let 'em get bored (not boAred), and your pants leg was a toy. The sows, and brood boar, were kept in an open outdoor pen (between litters), and you didn't get between them and the feed trough. Good way to lose a body part.

If it weren't for my life long love of bacon (mmmmmmmmm...BACON), I would have been tempted more than once to shoot every damned one of the vile creatures.

LET'S GO HOG HUNTIN'

surv

jfrey
07-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Surv if you want to get your heart to pumpin' try tracking one of those wounded pigs into THICK brush at night with a maglite and a .45 pistol. You can smell 'em and hear 'em but you don't know exactly where he is until you are about 10 feet away and realize he is still alive and looking for something to fight. Right then you learn to shoot first and ask questions later. You don't soon forget things like that and it makes good stories to tell the young'uns later. Now that's sport'in.

Bawanna
07-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Bawanna

NOW yer talking!

We get JohnH to supply the truch, and with a few parts here and there we can build a hydraulic lift on the back to take up up to the elevated shooting platform covered with camo net. Park the truck up hill from the creek bottom, bait out a few select spots with "HogWild", and make an evening out of it.

I managed a "demonstration farm" for our local junior college back in the 70's, and we had quite an extensive hog production program. First thing the newborns got was a touch of the "clippers'. The "eye teeth" (future tusks) were snipped out, then the tails docked up to their ass. The "oysters" were removed a few weeks later. That kept them pretty well under control, although not "harmless". We had a farrowing barn, a weaning barn and a finishing barn.... I had to hose the concrete floors of all three at least daily, sometimes twice. Lots of "contact" with the vile creatures. As long as you kept a couple of old bowling balls and a few 3-4 foot long pieces of heavy logging chain in the pens with the ones on the finishing floor, they were content to just fight and play with their "toys". Let 'em get bored (not boAred), and your pants leg was a toy. The sows, and brood boar, were kept in an open outdoor pen (between litters), and you didn't get between them and the feed trough. Good way to lose a body part.

If it weren't for my life long love of bacon (mmmmmmmmm...BACON), I would have been tempted more than once to shoot every damned one of the vile creatures.

LET'S GO HOG HUNTIN'

surv

I had an uncle and my grandparents had big hog operations. I've docked a few tails. They don't do that out here in WA, not sure why. Use to be my job to but a big crayon mark on em after they got vacinated so they didn't get it twice.
My dad used to tell me I couldn't get my fill of them oysters as a kid but I sure don't remember and I believe he was funnin me. Only Detrich would come up with something like that.
I know my uncle had half a dozen of them electric bang sticks hanging on the barn wall. Every one of them was bent when the charge didn't do enough, he's wack em with it. Didn't work after that. They can be contrary creatures.

wyntrout
07-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Bringing home the bacon.

Dietrich
07-05-2010, 03:29 AM
I`ve hunted hogs in the marshlands outside of Savannah in reeds so tall and thick that you can`t see what`s two feet away from you.You know the hog is there because he and the dogs are raising hell up ahead and you can see the tops of the tall grass moving where the fight is.The shot you get is usually within ten feet so you better be quick.Makes my heart race just to think about it.Good times.

jlottmc
07-05-2010, 12:29 PM
I like the run 'em down method. I remember a time when I was collecting bounties on the things, I had an Enfield in 308 (jungle carbine if memory serves) and about 8 rounds left for the long gun. I had my Springfield 1911 that I had built as well. Anyway I was tracking one that I believe my old man had shot at, and when I found him he wasn't a happy piggy. Long story short I emptied the Enfield and the Springfield as he charged, damn thing hit the ground and knocked my right leg out from under me. I needed a change of huggies after that.

noslolo
07-07-2010, 01:23 AM
Hogs and yotes are fair game here in PA, I bought my 1894 Winchester trapper in .44 rem mag just for the hogs but I havent had a chance yet. You can bet that I will have my 686 S&W as back up. The KAHR will have to sit that one out in the truck.

johnh
07-07-2010, 06:48 AM
I have heard an old friend of mine has gotten into hunting hogs with spears. Sounds a bit to fair for my tastes. I generally prefer to have the upper hand when getting up close and personal with something that wants to kill me. :D

joshh
07-07-2010, 07:55 AM
we have a coyote hunting season here in MA but not many hunt them. a friend of mine got one last winter with an electronic distress call and a .17hmr. thing was huge and had blood stained fur around its mouth... i have only seen a few around here & i live in the corner of MA, CT & RI. i have seen a fisher cat around twice recently and those things can be vicious.

deadhead1971
07-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Here in Johnston County, NC farmers are having a terrible time with herds of saquatches running at large and tearing up crops and agriculture. I think it's illegal to hunt them.

jlottmc
07-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Deadhead that might be the ah less legal crowd getting mistook for sasquatch. Just sayin. John can we use the Hemi? We'll wash it and wax it and put gas in it and everything.

TD2K
07-07-2010, 11:34 AM
no silly, all the bigfoot sightings are in eastern Oklahoma. duh. ;)

medezyner
07-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Open season on them up here in the "Live Free of Die" state. Did some nightime hunting, but no luck. Last year deer hunting I had 2 running full tilt right across my heavily wooded shooting lanes. Drilled one and clipped the other one in tha arse. I was more surprised (that I actually hit both) then they were. The 30-06 makes big mess. I turkey hunt and see deer, go deer hunting see coyotes. Whats up with that?

Popeye
07-08-2010, 01:31 PM
No Coyotes around my neck of the woods .....Yet. I have to admit I'd love to take one out with my Garand. :D We do have a momma red fox and a little one bedding down around here somewhere though. That is one beautiful animal.

Bawanna
07-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah, don't Garand the fox, just not enough pretty foxes around anymore.

getsome
07-08-2010, 01:55 PM
There was a recent case here in Atlanta of a rabid fox attacking several children, dogs and an adult man in his back yard...That guy was chewed up real bad and a police officer finally had to shoot and kill the thing to get it to stop....This year there have been several racoons that were found to have rabies in our area so watch out for any animal behaving strangely or out during the daytime that normally wouldn't be....Has anyone ever watched the TV show called "Billy the Exterminator"....I watched it last night for the 2nd or 3rd time and it's a pretty cool show...He gets to catch all kinds of critters, bats, snakes, alligators as well as killing bugs and bees...He is in Louisiana and there are all kinds of critters in that neck of the woods...Last week he had to trap a nutria which I had never heard of but it looked like a giant 40 pound rat but with webbed feet like a beaver and teeth about an inch long...:eek:...The nice thing about the show is that Billy always lets the animals go in a safe place away from humans...Watch it sometime, 10 pm on A&E network...

Bawanna
07-08-2010, 02:03 PM
On that Steven Segal show "Lawman" not sure its on anymore, they had swat guys with 22's driving around in the back of pickups blasting them nutrias. Guess they cause alot of erosion damage and stuff. There were tons of them. This was at night, had lights on em and just blasting away. I didn't see where they actually hit very many.

Popeye- Green light on the fox, might be rabid. Garandize her and waste the youngun too!

I'm bawling my eyes out as I write this, hand me another beach towel. Another pretty fox bites it from the wrath of the greatest battle implement ever invented. Aww the gore and flying intralls, and disgust.
Like shooting Lassie, I think he wants us to follow him, probably a tazmanian wombat stuck in an abandoned well, we have to save him. Get the truck.

Popeye
07-08-2010, 07:08 PM
No can do the Fox. Momma and the little one are kind of shy and aren't bothering anything or anyone that I'm aware of. It's had it's chance to go after the wifes Norwhich Terrior early in the morning, but chooses to stay clear. If it was nasty then that would be a different story. I just can't kill such a marvelous looking animal for no reason. Now a sraggly azzed coyote I could shoot with the M1 till I hear ping and be fine with it.

jlottmc
07-10-2010, 08:17 AM
I agree with Ry. Leave them alone, until they start to get aggressive. My uncle has all kinds of stuff that comes onto his land, and for the most part it's ok. Had a 'yote come there we think to die, because it sure looked to be in bad shape. Couple of silver foxes, lots of bunnies and such. As long as it's not a snake, nor acting aggressively they can stay. He even had a couple of red tailed hawks patrolling. Most of the carnivores help him keep the mice and neighbor's cats down. My Brother used to have a silver fox and a skunk living under his house. Skunk went away though, got spooked everytime the A/C came on, and in San Angelo that's pretty often. Skunks I treat almost like snakes though, been sprayed and it was no fun.

Popeye
07-12-2010, 04:57 AM
I've never seen the fox during daylight hours. Just very early in the morning around 0530. Any movement from me and there gone in a flash.
Believe it or not my biggest problem is the Hawks going after the dog. Apparently she must look like a ground hog or something to a Hawk as they fly around. We do have and assortment of critters in the area so I'm sure the hawks are well fed. I had one take a full sized rabbit right out of my back yard last year. I was sitting under the patio cover reading at the time. The darned thing scared the Sh8t out of me. Could not have be more than a couple feet away. Up close they're allot bigger than they look flying around up there.

jlottmc
07-12-2010, 06:00 AM
This is true. I've had a couple do that same thing to me before. My uncle had one use a phone pole on the back of his land as a perch, hawk was huge being that close, and had no fear of humans or anything else for that matter. I tend to leave the critters alone unless I have reason not to. Reasons for me include: it's a snake (shot on sight, will hunt if signs are found), it's a skunk (shot on sight if seen, but won't hunt), it's a night time critter that is seen during the day (higher possibility of rabies), it's aggressive towards me or mine, it's a coyote (will play games with them), it's a hog, or finally, I'm either hunting (meat shooter) or I need food. Other than that I leave them alone. The only reason I shoot skunks is that I've been sprayed, and have had some kicked up before that was worse than a normal one. When I got sprayed, I was sick as a dog for two weeks, we had to shoot the dog, and nothing worked to get that stink out.