PDA

View Full Version : Magnaport

bayoutrigger
07-04-2010, 11:07 AM
I searched and read all the old posts on porting. Overall thumbs up by Jocko and Bawanna. John says he buys ported pistols but doesn't have his pistols ported. A few others have followed Jocko's lead and gotten their pistols ported with no regrets.

I shoot a CW40 and shortly will be going to a PM40. The recoil is not a deal killer for me but hey, I would not complain if there is less recoil with porting. I'm not getting any younger!

Two questions: Why don't more people port their pistols? Why don't manufacturers offer ported pistols as a standard option? It would seem that if porting was such a good thing there would be more ported pistols out there.
I'm just a little apprehensive about putting slits into my slide.

Thanks.

Bawanna
07-04-2010, 12:15 PM
The slits that Magna Port puts in your gun look really cool. That isn't a negative at all. I'd probably do it even if I knew it didn't help a thing.

I suspect that manufacturers don't do the magna port just to hold the cost down like everything else. Might be patent deals where they can't duplicate Magna Port.

I suspect the nature of the human beast is somewhat responsible for more not sending their guns for porting. Many can justify a grand on a gun, but balk at a 100 dollar set of sights, or grips. As the safari guides always say, you can tell Americans, they have a 3000 dollar rifle and a 150 dollar scope.

There was not a night and day difference in my K40 after magna port but it did help. My son noticed the difference more than I did. As you say the recoil on the 40 isn't brutual if your accustomed to it but it is a nasty little bark. Just don't want you to expect 22 recoil after porting. Ain't gonna happen. And I think it's more beneficial on muzzle flip rather than recoil or some would call felt recoil.

My PM45 will make a trip to Magna Port some day although it's just fine the way it is. Can't hurt, looks cool and looking cool is job 1 with me.

jocko
07-04-2010, 12:23 PM
it's all about cost. Magna port work is awesome and their ported guns work as advertised.

ORSalesRep
07-04-2010, 03:29 PM
I had my P9 Mag-Na ported and noticed a big difference in felt/perceived recoil. I also think it adds to the coolness factor of how the firearm looks now. I would do it again.
Truth be told, I am thinking about having my new P380 Mag-Na Ported once I am through the break in period to make sure I have no issues related to the slide. When I Mag-Na Ported my P9, it was on a brand new slide before I tried it and almost got burned. Turned out that the new slide's extractor pin channel was too tight and I could not get the extractor pin components into the channel after I had already paid to Mag_Na Port. I ended up having to drill out the channel's diameter a touch myself. Luckily, it all worked out fine.

I would be interested in hearing opinions from you seasoned guys, like Jocko and Bawanna, etc if they think it would be worth having my P380 Mag-Na Ported since it is a smaller caliber and the recoil isn't unbearable to begin with.

jocko
07-04-2010, 03:41 PM
THEY WON'T PORT YOUR p380. i ALREADY RUN THAT BUY MAGNA PORT ABOUT A YEAR AGO. I would have done mine even though ur right about hardly any recoil. Just would have looked very nice with my xs big dot sights and stippled grip..

But here is a company that will port that little puppy. APWCOGAN.COM they drill 2 round holes directly on top of the slide. they did one of my kel tec 380's for me and I never had any issues with their work.

ORSalesRep
07-05-2010, 05:45 AM
THEY WON'T PORT YOUR p380. i ALREADY RUN THAT BUY MAGNA PORT ABOUT A YEAR AGO. I would have done mine even though ur right about hardly any recoil. Just would have looked very nice with my xs big dot sights and stippled grip..

But here is a company that will port that little puppy. APWCOGAN.COM they drill 2 round holes directly on top of the slide. they did one of my kel tec 380's for me and I never had any issues with their work.

Thanks for the info Jocko! I wonder why Mag-Na-Port won't do a P380. Have you found any issues with your KelTec and the holes being directly on top of the slide? Just wondering if the gases coming straight up the top interfere with the sight picture for follow up shots. Did they do your P380 yet?

Shawn Dodson
07-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Can you shoot a ported pistol in retention without being burned by hot gases?