PDA

View Full Version : buying a gun

marcinstl
02-12-2015, 12:19 PM
in the St.Louis metro a lot of gun stores use Zander's (https://shop2.gzanders.com/) as their wholesaler. if a gun isn't in the case it can be ordered. another place that some gun stores use is Davidson's (http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/). the Davidson's "gun genie" site will let you find a gun and local gun stores where it can be ordered and the price you'll pay. as an example a PM9 has an MSRP of $810 and retails from $655 to $745 at the closest retailers in the area. so there's the MSRP, the wholesale price and then, what you pay for it.
but Bud's sells it for $618! Cabela's has the PM9093BL w/Rug*** on sale for $599! (maybe Cabela's has a matching bra and panty set to go with that bright blue pistol?)
some gun stores are a joke, some offer good service. before you spend your money think about who and what you want to support with your purchase. if you don't have property where you can shoot, would it make sense to support a gun store that had a range? why would a gun store sell a .22lr gun if they couldn't supply ammo? what's the trade in value on your new gun? (she didn't like the blue and wants purple and the PM9093BL is worth $150 on a trade?) ok, end of ramble.

Dbholfo
02-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Not sure where you wanted to go with this. I have several good local gun stores, the largest of which also has a thriving web presence. I bought my first pistol from the largest store simply because it had a barely used P345 on the shelf and that fit me well. Still does and 5 years later the price is the same. 2nd was a new Neos I got in the next county and it's price is anout the same for a new one, maybe a few dollars higher. I just bought my 3rd -a PM45 - online from the largest local store again barely used at about $250 below new sales price. It's so stiff I wonder if more than 5 rounds went thru it. I put about 60 rounds thru it the first time out and really like it. It's in my pocket right now. I think I could sell it for more than I paid but it's my EDC now. Everyone in town asks within a few dollars except big box retailers so it's easy to support my local shops. It's the good deals like the Kahr that I really appreciate, since I've been looking for a smaller .45 for a couple months and the emails from the store hit at just the right time.

downtownv
02-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Well i have to agree, because there's no winnable argument here.

Bawanna
02-12-2015, 02:50 PM
I got my much cherished and loved Cbob from Hyatt's there in Charlotte which must be somewhere close by.

For an apparently large shop they were a joy to deal with. I have people in Charlotte and I guess they all know of it and been there a very long time.

Sounds like a big shop with small shop customer service. That the big shop you speak of Dbholfo?

Dbholfo
02-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Yes. Larry is a good guy and all the salesmen are friendly and helpful. Larry's son runs the web side and offers some great deals. I got my Remington 870 that way also.

Bawanna
02-12-2015, 05:07 PM
They were more than patient with all my questions to confirm what it was and even sent me a little pen knife with Hyatts wrote on the side along with it.

I don't recollect any names and it's been awhile but they was good people.

b4uqzme
02-12-2015, 05:33 PM
I'm pretty happy with the LGS's around here. Never had any trouble finding helpful staff. Made some good friends too.

GROTMAN
02-12-2015, 05:35 PM
If your wife really loves you she will get you a gun from Barrett. :rolleyes:
http://i.imgur.com/BUG2AzV.jpg

marshal kane
02-13-2015, 06:40 AM
Buds has been my "go to" gunstore for some time. They have competitive prices, free shipping, and good communications on your order status. You select your own FFL and examine the firearm there. If for any reason you aren't satisfied, you notify Buds WITHOUT filling out the transfer papers and Buds will take the firearm back and send you another one. Check out their website and compare their price with what your local gunstore wants.

Have Trumpet Will Travel
02-13-2015, 07:26 AM
True. Have bought from Buds numerous times. Just ordered an ML 40 Elite, MSRP $961. Paid less than $600 and now they have it listed at $660, so a $75 savings by using the "Make Offer" and bidding; they allow 5 bids. I usually start at 85% of their asking price, it pays the Credit Card fee although I just e-check for ca$h discount. Difficult to beat Bud's prices. (They were asking $610 when I got the $595 deal).

b4uqzme
02-13-2015, 07:38 AM
Never bought online. Most of what I own was purchased used at prices that could not be duplicated online. And the few new firearms were bought at prices near enough to the online price that it was easy to choose to patronize the local business. I'm probably lucky though because I have dozens of brick and mortar options nearby.

hardluk1
02-13-2015, 07:45 AM
We have a great general store right down the road that's also a gun shop. They display around 450 firearms with more in reserve and sell 20 + a day in our little country town . The owner is not a gun guy but is a hell of a salesman and will go above and beyond to find you the firearm you want. He has favored suppliers like all do but will hit them all for a hard to find model and go as far as to contact a manufactured rep to try to hunt up a firearm. Did that for a buddy a couple years ago for a 454 Ruger SRH . Rep found one in a shop in Montana and they ended up swapping the ruger for a benelli he wanted . Deal was made and my buddy got his ruger and still for a discounted price ..

I will not deal with someone because of a indoor range if prices suck and I hate indoor ranges anyhow . Only how they do business is what really matters .

berettabone
02-13-2015, 07:46 AM
I have used Bud's many times and also Gunbroker......................never a problem with either. I would like to help out the local stores, but they're all a holes. I have three near me. One place, which I won't mention, they were in the newpapers quite frequently, makes you join a "club" before you can do anything. They won't even let you handle a firearm without being a member. Part of an agreement with gov't and LE to stay open. Another one near me, has employees who knock calibers constantly. If you don't shoot .45 cal., they don't even want to talk to you. They usually won't take any .40 cal. in trade. The third one, the owner squealed to the ATF about non licensed owners selling at the gun shows, which was perfectly legal, but caused them much harassment from the ATF. I wouldn't crap in their boots. All of the stores lose tons of $$$$$$$$$$ because of their attitudes. Their problem.

b4uqzme
02-13-2015, 07:49 AM
I have used Bud's many times and also Gunbroker......................never a problem with either. I would like to help out the local stores, but they're all a holes. I have three near me. One place, which I won't mention, they were in the newpapers quite frequently, makes you join a "club" before you can do anything. They won't even let you handle a firearm without being a member. Part of an agreement with gov't and LE to stay open. Another one near me, has employees who knock calibers constantly. If you don't shoot .45 cal., they don't even want to talk to you. They usually won't take any .40 cal. in trade. The third one, the owner squealed to the ATF about non licensed owners selling at the gun shows, which was perfectly legal, but caused them much harassment from the ATF. I wouldn't crap in their boots. All of the stores lose tons of $$$$$$$$$$ because of their attitudes. Their problem.

Like I said...I must truly be lucky. The guys around here are top notch.

Armybrat
02-13-2015, 07:58 AM
I've ordered from Grabagun several times, Bud's for the first time in December, private individuals (known to me - no strangers), gun shows, big box stores and local gun shops.

Have spread my $$ around since purchasing my first gun (a new Ruger Single Six) at Petmecky's Sporting Goods on Congress Avenue in Austin back in 1959. Being just a high school kid, my Dad accompanied me. After 56 years & several thousand rounds, that little wheelgun is still smooth & sweet to shoot:

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/Armybrat5/Guns075_zps446b6d67.jpg

muggsy
02-13-2015, 12:51 PM
I've purchased from GrabaGun and KYgun without any problems. I've also dealt with two LGS with good results. I've found that it's the owners make or break the business. Our local indoor ranges leave a lot to be desired.

ltxi
02-13-2015, 04:25 PM
During the last 20+ years.....I had three or four good/sane/friends/trusted local small LGS guys I dealt with for buy and sell. All but one are now out of the business retired. These days I still deal with the last left standing, like a couple of good volume dealer folk who are Denver gun show regulars, The local Cabella's, and just Davidson's for on-line purchases.

O'Dell
02-13-2015, 05:28 PM
Probably more than half of the many guns I have bought were purchased online. I've used Bud's and many more suppliers w/o one problem so far. The used guns were honestly described, and several times were actually better than I expected. I remember once buying a new SIG P220 with a DAK trigger from a SD dealer, and once I got the pistol I didn't like the trigger. It was my fault, but they took the gun back w/o question. I bought several more from them because of the service.

I have shied away from the auction sites, although I have found guns there I wanted, called the dealer, and purchased directly. I guess I don't completely trust individual sellers.

ltxi
02-13-2015, 07:32 PM
Used guns I just gotta see/feel/handle in person before I buy. As well as anything new I don't already fully understand/appreciate. Bud's has an excellent reputation and I'd most likely use them if I weren't addicted to the Davidson's through my local indoor handgun range shop. Davidson's may not be the last few bucks cheapest but close enough, I'm comfortable with them, and transactions have always been no hassle easy. All be moot now, tho, as I'm truly only one possible configuration away from No More Guns.

b4uqzme
02-13-2015, 08:08 PM
.... As i'm truly only one possible configuration away from no more guns.

blasphemy!

Dbholfo
02-14-2015, 02:26 PM
Used guns I just gotta see/feel/handle in person before I buy. As well as anything new I don't already fully understand/appreciate. Bud'serwork has an excellent reputation and I'd most likely use them if I weren't addicted to the Davidson's through my local indoor handgun range shop. Davidson's may not be the last few bucks cheapest but close enough, I'm comfortable with them, and transactions have always been no hassle easy. All be moot now, tho, as I'm truly only one possible configuration away from No More Guns.
I agree which is why I deal with Hyatt. My first was used LNIB with original owner paperwork in the box. The next two were purchased online but I went to the store to handle them and pick them up so no shipping or FFL fees. Both were LNIB, one was possibly never fired. The NC Concealed Carry permit allows unlimited purchases for the 5 year life of the permit. (I know - 2A doesn't say anything about permits but it's better than $15 each purchase.) Great prices on used buying online then going to the store.

ltxi
02-14-2015, 02:51 PM
blasphemy!

Understand the sentiment, but... I'm 72. I have 50 +/- a few...not really sure...firearms at the moment. I really, really don't need any more. Not even 1911s, I'm up to nine of them there alone now.