PDA

View Full Version : Pearce grips on a CW380?

GA_Sheepdog
02-15-2015, 01:15 PM
I have a question. Would adding Pearce extension mag grips to a P/CW380 defeat the purpose of the gun? I can only get two fingers on the grip after the tripper guard. I'm sure it's the same with 99.9% of people. I could get a full grip on the CT380 but I wanted to be able to pocket carry and that's the reason for going with the CW in the first place. If adding the Pearce extension grips to the CW380 made it the same length as the CT380 then I feel I should have just went ahead and purchased the CT380 and been able to carry another round.

GA_Sheepdog
02-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Sorry I just realized this should have been posted in the Holsters and Gear section.

erichard
02-15-2015, 02:15 PM
I think it is a good place to post it (here).

For me, the issue is the length of the gun, not the height, because in the holster even the CW380 is just about noticeable in my back pocket. Having the extended mag in the CW, which is probably like the Pierce extension in additional height, does not harm concealability for me and my Recluse holster. However the added length of the CT380 might, which is what prevents me from switching to the CT version.

That said, if you're not getting an extra round as you would get with the extended mag, I'm not inclined to get the Pierce extension because there are downsides to the extension beyond concealability, maybe. The extensions basically puts added pressure on the lower aspect of the mag, which can twist or tilt it ever so slightly as you grip firmly. Since the tolerances for getting the gun to cycle reliably are so small, it is conceivable that the extension may eventually cause feeding issues. The mag in the CW is somewhat loose fitting, so when you grip the extension, it will slightly alter the position/orientation of the mag at the feed lip region of the mag.

DavidR
02-15-2015, 02:53 PM
If you pocket carry the Pearce grip significantly prints. For a pocket 380, you have to be satisfied with a 2 finger grip.

GA_Sheepdog
02-15-2015, 05:35 PM
I'd like to have the extensions for maybe range use but I don't think I'll have them on while carrying. When I went to purchase my new gun, I wasn't even thinking of a 380. At least not a Kahr. I was looking at the glock 42 and cm9. I almost bought the CM9 but I wanted the "Ultimate" CCW. I just happened to see the CW380 next to the CM9 and fell in love with how small it was, yet how good it felt in the hand. I even looked and held the CT380 and liked it but for the same size I could have got a CW9.

I'm thinking it's gonna be a BIG negative on the Pearce extensions, even for range use. I want to train how I carry anyway.

b4uqzme
02-15-2015, 05:56 PM
I've always been a fan of carrying the shortest mag available = getting the most out of the gun's small design. But then carrying the longest spares (usually two). And I really like Kahr's comparitively flat extended mags even if others don't like how they look. They slip discretely into a pocket.

GA_Sheepdog
02-15-2015, 06:24 PM
I've always been a fan of carrying the shortest mag available = getting the most out of the gun's small design. But then carrying the longest spares (usually two). And I really like Kahr's comparitively flat extended mags even if others don't like how they look. They slip discretely into a pocket.

Hmm, I haven't thought about getting the 7rd 380 mags yet. I might have to pick one up.

SlowBurn
02-15-2015, 07:49 PM
I'd like to have the extensions for maybe range use but I don't think I'll have them on while carrying.
I want to train how I carry anyway.
+1. Once you get some range time with the 2 finger grip you'll be surprised how well you can shoot like that.