PDA

View Full Version : Found A New Place To Shoot

ltxi
02-19-2015, 03:51 PM
Found a new place, to me anyway, to shoot. An outdoor, open range club an easy 23 miles over rural roads from my house. It's been there for 21 years and I'd never heard of it before a friend tipped me off to it last month. Just got out there to check it out today. Great place and I now feel like a complete idiot for not already knowing about a local gun folk "secret".

A bit east of the southeast edge of Denver metro between Elizabeth and Kiowa if anyone's from around here and may care. It's a do not go/try to go there in your BMW kind of place. Salt of the earth western rural folk. And with the ground a bit mucky right now I had to hose down the mud from my 4x4 and boots when I got home. Suits me just fine!

b4uqzme
02-19-2015, 04:58 PM
My BIL, Mr. Teacup Limpwrister, goes to the trap range with me driving his Audi A7 --- I just love getting in there with my muddy boots afterwards. I know, Mean huh?
It's pretty cool when you find one of those local treasures. I recently found out a nearby range has Saturday night indoor IDPA shoots. Dang, now I need to get a free Saturday! Honey!........

Redstate
02-19-2015, 06:11 PM
I feel very fortunate. I am a member of a gun club that has an outdoor range about 9 miles away (no traffic), and it has around 15 pistol bays (around 50 yards deep) and a rifle range of 200 yds. Membership is only $45.00 per year for the combo to the gate. However, to get membership, you must shoot 4 matches per year. We have IDPA, USPSA, ICORE, Steel Challenge, SASS and Action Pistol. I have been a member for several years.
In any event, I am happy for you, Itxi, that you have found a nice range.

yqtszhj
02-19-2015, 06:25 PM
Found a new place, to me anyway, to shoot. An outdoor, open range club an easy 23 miles over rural roads from my house. It's been there for 21 years and I'd never heard of it before a friend tipped me off to it last month. Just got out there to check it out today. Great place and I now feel like a complete idiot for not already knowing about a local gun folk "secret".

A bit east of the southeast edge of Denver metro between Elizabeth and Kiowa if anyone's from around here and may care. It's a do not go/try to go there in your BMW kind of place. Salt of the earth western rural folk. And with the ground a bit mucky right now I had to hose down the mud from my 4x4 and boots when I got home. Suits me just fine!

Good find. That's nice area out there. Drove through that area in 2009 after visiting some old friends in Parker.

You also described my favorite type of shooting range. The one I go to is 28 miles from my driveway, away from town, and 25 miles of that is rolling 2 lane country roads, to a wildlife management range. Just country folk enjoying shooting. Not like the one near town where the people are doing what the wife calls TTH (trying too hard). All of them are "experts" if you know what i mean.

ltxi
02-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Good find. That's nice area out there. Drove through that area in 2009 after visiting some old friends in Parker.

You also described my favorite type of shooting range. The one I go to is 28 miles from my driveway, away from town, and 25 miles of that is rolling 2 lane country roads, to a wildlife management range. Just country folk enjoying shooting. Not like the one near town where the people are doing what the wife calls TTH (trying too hard). All of them are "experts" if you know what i mean.

I do. These are easy going western country folk...my kind of people as well. Now fully retired, I have the feeling I'm going to be burning off a lot of my pent up stock of ammunition out there. Found this place at the right time. And I live in Parker. Moved here 22 years ago before this place population exploded and used to hang out in this town well before then. Locals view wife and me as "Old Parker", damn near native status.

AJBert
02-19-2015, 07:13 PM
Sounds like you've found a heck of a place. I shot at Dragon Man's a few times with my brother, and although the folks that run the place are nice, there are too many "experts" due to it is just east of the Springs I suppose.

Now I live less than two miles from the Pike National Forest and have found a number of areas to shoot from 3 yards out to 1000 yards. Of course, winter time can be a bit rough to get out there as the roads aren't maintained during the winter. I can always shoot handguns off my back deck, though!

Ken L
02-19-2015, 09:15 PM
I'll have to try to find it. I'm in Arvada so it's a bit of a haul, but I'm on the road all the time anyway. My metro shooting is at Cherry Creek and I'd love to go somewhere better. When I travel to the Western Slope I like to go to the BLM range by the airport in Grand Junction.

Can you PM me the specifics? Thanks

Armybrat
02-20-2015, 08:50 AM
It is getting harder to find a close in outdoor range here in the north Austin - Round Rock area because of the massive suburban growth we have been experiencing the past 25 years. There are two about 30 minutes from my house near RR, but one is run by some unfriendly folks, and the other is pretty new & I haven't been out there yet. Luckily, family property isn't much farther out.

ltxi
02-20-2015, 03:33 PM
I'll have to try to find it. I'm in Arvada so it's a bit of a haul, but I'm on the road all the time anyway. My metro shooting is at Cherry Creek and I'd love to go somewhere better. When I travel to the Western Slope I like to go to the BLM range by the airport in Grand Junction.

Can you PM me the specifics? Thanks

PM sent....:)

Harrylee
02-21-2015, 05:45 PM
Well I was real lucky last year and got into a hard to get into club down the road. It has been around since the 1930's, nice set up got both indoor pistol and outdoor rifle and pistol range, shotgun, archery and if you like to fish a stocked lake with trout. The big bonus it’s 7 minutes away from my house, figured out the best time to go to the indoor range and I can go there and have a 12 lane range to myself for 2 or 3 hours, now that’s a bit of heaven. Plus they put infrared heaters on the indoor range. Sometimes life is sweet to us

Redstate
02-21-2015, 07:28 PM
Well I was real lucky last year and got into a hard to get into club down the road. It has been around since the 1930's, nice set up got both indoor pistol and outdoor rifle and pistol range, shotgun, archery and if you like to fish a stocked lake with trout. The big bonus it’s 7 minutes away from my house, figured out the best time to go to the indoor range and I can go there and have a 12 lane range to myself for 2 or 3 hours, now that’s a bit of heaven. Plus they put infrared heaters on the indoor range. Sometimes life is sweet to us

Very sweet, sounds like country club living.

berettabone
02-21-2015, 07:58 PM

Sounds like you found a good place to me....................................I have 3 indoor ranges within 10 minutes of me, but would much rather shoot outdoors. I was lucky enough to get in to a gun club, about 25 miles away from me, before they capped it off at a thousand members. It's back in the woods...........$75 a year............no mandatory meetings.........indoor bar and hall............trap facilities and range................outdoor rifle and handgun range...................indoor handgun shooting, one hand only.......CCL classes. Good people that all like the same thing........................................I know what some may be thinking............bar?????? All I have ever seen served was soda, water, and oj...........:rolleyes:

Gene Hackman
02-22-2015, 02:00 AM

I'm in Denver and am always looking for an outdoor place to shoot. I think I may know what you're talking about. Is it like way up past conifer near some areas affected by the hayman fire? If not can you message me directions please.