PDA

View Full Version : P9/CW9 Comparison

bahs68
03-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Hey all
I've owned 2 P9s in the past and liked both of them. I'm curious about how the CW9 might compare to the P9 in handling , firing (accuracy , trigger action ) and value for the price. If this has been discussed before , maybe you could refer me to where that could be found.

Buzzard45
03-06-2015, 01:33 PM
only 2 real differences: P & PM series have polygonal barrels and dovetail front sights, CW & CM conventional rifling and pinned front sights.
accuracy, feel, trigger etc. are identical as far as my P45 & CW45

cobrasjp
03-06-2015, 02:37 PM
I have a P9 and a CW9, purchased new about 6 months apart.

The technical differences (barrel rifling and front sight attachment) were previously noted. They also differ in the way the top edges on the slide are machined and the way the markings are applied.

Beyond those differences, it's interesting to look at the "premium" aspect of the P9. When compared side-by-side, the P9 feels more refined. Like more attention was devoted to it during manufacture. The trigger pull is slightly better. The slide action is slightly smoother. The fit and finish is slightly better. It's subtle, but noticeable. If blindfolded, I honestly believe I could tell the difference between them.

I thought the frames might be identical design wise. But the CW9 fits tighter than the P9 in every holster I have (Alessi, Garret Industries, Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, and a few others). So the frames definitely came from different molds, although they look identical to the naked eye.

Accuracy with both is good. The P9 is the most accurate handgun I have ever owned, even better than some custom built race guns. It's freakishly accurate. The CW9 is also accurate, but I don't have near as much trigger time with it, so I don't really know how accurate it is.

So, for me, the P9 is a nicer gun than the CW9, but it should be for the price difference. Sort of like a Cadillac versus a Chevy.

ripley16
03-06-2015, 05:42 PM
To me, the difference is in the barrel, (I prefer polygonal barrels) and the fact that the P9 comes in black if you want a black gun, (which I prefer). Having a wider choice of sights on a P9 may influence your choice too. The other differences don't matter much IMHO.

Redstate
03-06-2015, 06:55 PM
I have a P9 and a CW9, purchased new about 6 months apart.

Accuracy with both is good. The P9 is the most accurate handgun I have ever owned, even better than some custom built race guns. It's freakishly accurate. ...

That is impressive. Please elaborate on your group sizes and distances. Thanks.

bahs68
03-06-2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks to all who responded----It's helped alot and is appreciated
bahs68