PDA

View Full Version : Ebay snipe

frank_drebin
03-19-2015, 09:29 PM
Which one of you guys tried to snipe me at the last second? Cost me $20 extra.

Still, no complaints here, I still did ok :)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271806501801&alt=web

Bawanna
03-19-2015, 11:05 PM
Wasn't me. I don't go there too often, I hate snipers. That was a fine score for ya even with the 20 extra bucks.

WMD
03-20-2015, 06:15 AM
Definitely a great score. I wish I had a PM45. The politicians in my state won't let m e have one. They say they are too dangerous for me.

frank_drebin
03-20-2015, 07:30 AM
Definitely a great score. I wish I had a PM45. The politicians in my state won't let m e have one. They say they are too dangerous for me.
Why do you hate children so much? ??

Longitude Zero
03-20-2015, 08:28 AM
Don't do Ebay. Too much like a garage sale and/or Moroccan Bazaar. I don't do any of them.

frank_drebin
03-20-2015, 08:31 AM
Don't do Ebay. Too much like a garage sale and/or Moroccan Bazaar. I don't do any of them.
Yeah, I don't really know what that means. What I do know is that I can buy cell phones brand new, gun holsters, magazines, laptops, screen protectors, phone cases, etc. on there all day long for dirt cheap.

berettabone
03-20-2015, 08:54 AM
I use them...........................have gotten a lot of nice things, for good prices. I stay out of the politics of Ebay, and the people who hate it..................I can understand their side.:)

Bawanna
03-20-2015, 09:55 AM
I just wish they had some sort of 15 minute bid rule like most gun auctions for one of a kind or not mass produced stuff.

Some of the stuff, there's tons of and you miss one you just go get another.

But once in awhile you stumble on something really special and nobody bids cause you don't want to let anyone else know your interested. I bid early to get my name in the hat, the right thing to do, you watch and 4 seconds before the treasure is yours some moron with a computer sniper program steals it from ya.

Often wondered what happens when two computer sniper morons strike at the same time?

cloud
03-20-2015, 10:24 AM
E snipe is cheap and works real well.

Bawanna
03-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Not for me. I have scrupples.

Manzanita
03-20-2015, 11:52 AM
Sure, it's annoying when you think you're about to win something and someone has outbid you in the last second, but I don't see anything unscrupulous about. It's part of the game. You've already entered the highest amount you're willing to pay, right? If someone is willing to pay more, what does it matter whether or not they make their bid an hour before the auction ends or three seconds?

The only thing it does is keep someone who's watching the auction from being able to decide if they're willing to pay more than their original highest proxy bid.

Although sellers are probably more adversely affected than buyers by sniping, as someone who has occasionally sold on eBay, I've been pretty happy to see something that I was about to let go for a depressingly small amount suddenly go up, sometimes considerably, in the last seconds before ending.

frank_drebin
03-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Not for me. I have scrupples.
How exactly does putting a bid in at the last second make one unscrupulous?

Bawanna
03-20-2015, 12:08 PM
Your cheating the system plain and simple. By sneaking in at the last second it doesn't allow anyone else to make a bid.

Some logic in that a person enters the highest proxy bid they'll pay but for most poor folks interested in something because it's a reasonable deal, they won't enter a super high proxy.

I've had friends I've never met snipe me more than once. Apparently the definition of scrupples is different for different people.

Doesn't matter what I think anyhow. If I want something bad enough I'll get it one way or another. But I still won't snipe ever.

frank_drebin
03-20-2015, 12:15 PM
Your cheating the system plain and simple. By sneaking in at the last second it doesn't allow anyone else to make a bid.

Some logic in that a person enters the highest proxy bid they'll pay but for most poor folks interested in something because it's a reasonable deal, they won't enter a super high proxy.

I've had friends I've never met snipe me more than once. Apparently the definition of scrupples is different for different people.

Doesn't matter what I think anyhow. If I want something bad enough I'll get it one way or another. But I still won't snipe ever.
Calling someone out for having low scruples because they play by the rules of the site they are shopping on is a bit low rent don't you think? I put in my maximum bid of $100 with 3 seconds left and somehow you feel like a better person for not actually playing by the rules?

cloud
03-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Unless I use the buy it now feature, esnipe is the only way I bid on an ebay item. I cant tell you how many times my esnipe bid is not high enough .Even using esnipe I only bid the maximum I'm willing to pay. Which a lot of times is lower than someone's high proxy bid. And I don't win the auction.

Bawanna
03-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Calling someone out for having low scruples because they play by the rules of the site they are shopping on is a bit low rent don't you think? I put in my maximum bid of $100 with 3 seconds left and somehow you feel like a better person for not actually playing by the rules?

Like I said it doesn't matter what I think. Your following the site rules, be happy.

I'll shop elsewhere and be happy too, even more so now that I know e snipe is so popular. I guess I only won the stuff nobody else wanted and I'm happy about that too.

Bawanna
03-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Hey I just noticed that you started this thread complaining that somebody tried to snipe you at the last second but your bid was high enough to still win. So your not all together on board with snipers neither?

You got a good deal, a very good deal. That's really all that matters right?

frank_drebin
03-20-2015, 01:37 PM
Hey I just noticed that you started this thread complaining that somebody tried to snipe you at the last second but your bid was high enough to still win. So your not all together on board with snipers neither?

You got a good deal, a very good deal. That's really all that matters right?

No complaints from me. I outsniped the sniper. I was willing to spend up to $100. Now I don't have to keep making 1911 mags try to fit :)

Bawanna
03-20-2015, 02:00 PM
That's a win win situation and worth the price of admission all by itself.

Thanks for the brief but meaningful fisticuff, it felt really good.

Can't wait for Jocko to get back so I can say something slanderish about him and get his goat, aw crap, I guess I just did, he's sensitive about his goats. No wait they's sheep. We're ok.

b4uqzme
03-20-2015, 02:15 PM
Like I said it doesn't matter what I think. Your following the site rules, be happy.

I'll shop elsewhere and be happy too, even more so now that I know e snipe is so popular. I guess I only won the stuff nobody else wanted and I'm happy about that too.

:yo: Agreed

Longitude Zero
03-20-2015, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I don't really know what that means. What I do know is that I can buy cell phones brand new, gun holsters, magazines, laptops, screen protectors, phone cases, etc. on there all day long for dirt cheap.

The dirt cheap price is long forgotten after the matter of low quality crops up. I have just as many folks hate the ripof of ebay as love it. Caveat emptor.

Longitude Zero
03-20-2015, 02:50 PM

Agreed.

frank_drebin
03-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Believe it or not, I have bought 7 cars off of eBay. Only once did I have to turn around take a taxi back to the airport flying home. So far so good I reckon.

frank_drebin
03-20-2015, 05:23 PM
That's a win win situation and worth the price of admission all by itself.

Thanks for the brief but meaningful fisticuff, it felt really good.

Can't wait for Jocko to get back so I can say something slanderish about him and get his goat, aw crap, I guess I just did, he's sensitive about his goats. No wait they's sheep. We're ok.
Lol, its not like I posted pictures of my 45 reloads.

ESAFO
03-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Which one of you guys tried to snipe me at the last second? Cost me $20 extra.
Still, no complaints here, I still did ok :)
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271806501801&alt=web

i was keeping a eye on it myself until it got out of my comfort zone for being used, i already have 4 5rd mags & have been lucky enough to pick them up used for $10ea @ local flea market.
as long as your happy thats all that matters.

as far as useing e-bay its just like anything, timing is everything & if your at the right place at the right time then the smile gets bigger.

WMac19
03-20-2015, 08:21 PM
I used to sell and buy tons on ebay but mostly golf equipment. I'll still buy occasionally, just grabbed a new tuckable Kusiak Leather holster for the PM45 for about $15 less including shipping. But I find selling to be a hassle now. So many scammers.

I also bought a car on ebay, back in '02. Great deal.

Armybrat
03-21-2015, 08:55 AM
I've never used EBay directly to buy anything. Years ago I had my son bid on a cap gun for me. He was successful with a $24 bid.

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/Armybrat%20Album1/Guns052.jpg

Bawanna
03-21-2015, 10:29 AM
Damn, that's a nice cap gun too.

Armybrat
03-21-2015, 10:35 AM
My older brother had one 65 years ago, but wouldn't let me play with it. So through the miracle of Al Gore's Internet, I was able to realize my childhood dreams.

Thanks Al!

Marine One
03-22-2015, 09:02 AM
I own a 30 foot cabin cruiser that is 15 year old. Ebay has been a godsend for reasonably priced parts and accessories. I can get name brand parts for much less than at someplace like West Marine. There are many Ebay sellers who are actually e-store retailers that one would never know about were it not for Ebay.