PDA

View Full Version : Proud of my little puppies

Baklash
03-21-2015, 04:06 PM
A couple friends just bought new 9mm SCCY's and wanted a trip to the range this past week. Eventually I got around to shooting one and noticed considerably more recoil, but said nothing. Then one of them wanted to shoot my CW9 along side his SCCY. He immediately noticed the difference. So I suggested he try my CM9. Same results. He asked why, since his SCCY was bigger and heavier, so I mentioned the low Kahr axis. I think I just made a couple more Kahr believers. I was so proud of my little puppies I fed them another 25 rounds or so each. I don't mean to slam another brand (well, maybe I just did), but I am very pleased with my Kahrs' performance. Maybe they need a little brother, or a big brother, or one of each.:D

kwh
03-21-2015, 08:32 PM
I rented a Kahr P380 at the pistol range and was warned to hold tightly ,the recoil would surprise me. It did, but not in the way I thought. It had less noticeable recoil than my Walther PP 380.

Baklash
03-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Kahr, it's a great design.

dsk
03-31-2015, 10:31 PM
I have a SCCY and love it, although yes it's quite snappy. I think the short, fat, stubby grip shape also has a lot to do with the felt recoil as well.

cobrasjp
04-01-2015, 07:30 AM
I agree that the low bore axis is one of the reasons Kahrs are such soft shooters.

But I think an even bigger contributor is the polymer they use in their frames. It seems to be "softer" (less stiff) than the polymer used in most plastic-framed pistols. Compare an LCP or P3AT with a P380/CW380. There is a big difference in the stiffness of the plastic, with the LCP/P3AT almost feeling as stiff as metal. The softer plastic used in the Kahr soaks up more of the vibration from the recoil. My P380 stings my hand much less than my P3AT or the LCPs I've shot.

I haven't actually measured the durameter (measurement of stiffness of polymers) of my Kahrs and compared it other polymer-framed pistols. The meter that I have requires a large flat spot and that's hard to find on a pistol frame. Plus, it would leave a small indentation in the plastic. But it would be interesting to measure the durometer of some molded flat sheets of the materials used by the various manufacturers.

In several of my design projects at work, I had to spec the plastic material to be used in a tool handle. The first inclination was to choose a very stiff plastic. But we had to revert to a softer plastic because of too much vibration being transmitted to the user's hand. I think the same concept is at work in Kahr frames. Their plastic appears relatively soft (and almost "gummy") and soaks up much of the vibration from the slide hitting the frame at the back of the recoil stroke and transmitting less vibration into the hand.

bobbyh
04-01-2015, 07:53 AM
I rented a Kahr P380 at the pistol range and was warned to hold tightly ,the recoil would surprise me. It did, but not in the way I thought. It had less noticeable recoil than my Walther PP 380.

My CW380 has almost no recoil on it and it's like shooting a .22 compared to my LCP. I only try to grip it firmly so I don't limp wrist it!

jocko
04-01-2015, 04:39 PM
A couple friends just bought new 9mm SCCY's and wanted a trip to the range this past week. Eventually I got around to shooting one and noticed considerably more recoil, but said nothing. Then one of them wanted to shoot my CW9 along side his SCCY. He immediately noticed the difference. So I suggested he try my CM9. Same results. He asked why, since his SCCY was bigger and heavier, so I mentioned the low Kahr axis. I think I just made a couple more Kahr believers. I was so proud of my little puppies I fed them another 25 rounds or so each. I don't mean to slam another brand (well, maybe I just did), but I am very pleased with my Kahrs' performance. Maybe they need a little brother, or a big brother, or one of each.:D

Kahrs offset feed ramp allows forthis lower bore axis, , anutter inovation by kahr. Cmpred tomost they are very pleasant to shoot, but compared to mose 9's out there most all are bigger and there is no excuse why those utter guns shoudbe so unpleasant, BUT THEY are. I don;'t put the SCCY guns in the same ranking of kahrs either. they go bang., and so does kel teks, u get what u pay for.I an many utter guys here own the smallest kahr 9's made, today the cm and pm9 are bigger than what I have now , that was made back some years ago. I was always critcial as to why kahr extended the PM9 .020 of an inch which cause more different recoilsprings, differnet length barrel and slide and what dit ehy really gain??? More bigger of a pocket gun. Never made sense to ol jocko, so I have two PMJ9 and they ain't goin anywhere either...