PDA

View Full Version : My P40 had a Burr On it's Dimple

Skybull
03-22-2015, 01:15 PM
I purchased my P40 new in 2002. I probably have shot around 500 rounds through it. Never a problem at all. Great gun!!

Today I was cleaning it and noticed that the dimple on the inside of the slide that is put there by Kahr (to designate the "new" slide version) was shiny on the side closest to the rail. So I got out my magnifying glass and found a significant burr of metal protruding above the surface of the dimple. The shiny portion of the burr was caused by the rear metal slide insert (molded into polymer frame) hitting the burr as the slide cycled. I then took a previously fired .22 cartridge and slid the open end of the shell by hand over the burr. Every time it would hit the burr there was a significant drag/stoppage of the shell. Wow! I examined the left rear metal slide insert closer and it was clearly deeply gouged by hitting this burr. A bunch of metal gone.

I took a file and removed the burr and then polished that area up real good. Took 10 minutes.

I cannot say that it caused any problems in the operation of my pistol but clearly it was causing drag on the slide every time it cycled.

Hope this may help any of you that also have burrs on your slide dimple.

muggsy
03-22-2015, 02:25 PM
That ain't nearly as bad as having a burr under yer saddle. Ain't that right, Bawanna?