PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Maine, new CW45 owner

MrOctober44
03-24-2015, 10:07 AM
Wondering if anyone carries this gun concealled regularly and if so how? Looking at different holsters and such. Do you carry with a round chambered? Salesman I worked with was older guy that used this weapon for daily CC and said he practiced racking the slide while drawing due to the DA only action and no safety. Thanks for any in put.

Bawanna
03-24-2015, 10:52 AM
Anticipate a firestorm response here but carry it with a round chambered with confidence just like all the Kahr line.

With the long trigger pull a proper holster and proper finger control is all you need.

Racking the slide to chamber the first round will be where the failure happens. Kahrs are somewhat unforgiving in that respect and that's why Kahr recommends chambering using the slide release. But, that being said, if the slide is racked properly and with gusto there usually is no issue.

I personally would not carry one without a chambered round, with a potential adrenaline dump and the above factors I just would not do it.

Your comfort and confidence level will dictate if this works for you.

Welcome to the forum, glad you found us.

ScottM
03-24-2015, 11:06 AM
Couldn't have said it better Bawanna.

cobrasjp
03-24-2015, 02:01 PM
Carrying a Kahr with a round chambered is no different than carrying a double action revolver with all chambers loaded. It is just as safe, since the trigger pull is very similar.

Longitude Zero
03-24-2015, 02:01 PM
Always carry one in the pipe. Clock position 4-5, Galco Yaqui holster.

Armybrat
03-24-2015, 02:34 PM
Welcome MrOctober -

What Bawanna and everybody else said. Be sure & follow the prep steps (talked about here in one of the sticky threads) before the recommended 200 round break in procedure (in the manual).
I carry mine with a round chambered and the pistol riding in a Remora holster - it fits in my jacket pockets pretty well. No worries at all.

One thing a lot of the guys here have done is get an all steel, flush-fitting magazine to carry in the gun instead of using the standard supplied factory mag with the thick plastic base plate. Some of the guys buy 1911 Officer's 6 round magazines of various brands to achieve the flush-fitting look. Some brands work fine as is, but some require a little dremel work to fit & function properly. There are a couple of extensive threads that describe it all pretty well.

I bought a MecGar Officer's 6 rounder & dremeled the feed lips a bit, and it works great. The standard factory mags (I bought two extras of those) serve as the spares:

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/2c61554adc11be02ad1ec32552f16a414366bb0.jpg

OldFatGuy
03-24-2015, 03:31 PM
Pocket carry my 40 loaded and ready to go. If I find myself in a pickle, time is going to be precious.

Bill K
03-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Welcome to the forum!

From this older guy... I strongly urge you to carry with one in the chamber.

kwh
03-24-2015, 08:21 PM
I usually pocket carry a CM9. When I IWB carry, it is my CW45. I use a fitted Wild Bill leather holster. Always one in chamber. Sweet trigger and I am very accurate with it.

MrOctober44
03-25-2015, 09:19 AM
Thank you for all of the responses and advice, I look forward to learning about the KAHR and sharing any knowledge I have here.

Lukedog17
03-25-2015, 08:15 PM
I purchased an Alien Gear IWB holster and beside the longish wait for it it, it makes my CW45 disappear at the 4:30 position. Also own a Galco stow n go that works great also just doesn't distribute the weight as well, usually in appendix location.
Agree with Armybrat about the prep/break-in thread. Followed that to the tee and have had zero issues with my 45.
From another Mainer,
Luke

WMac19
03-25-2015, 08:45 PM
Always with a round chambered.

As per holsters, although I have the PM45 I'd use the same among my 4 favorites with the slightly larger CW45. Concealment Solutions Micro Mamba, UBG Striker, Theis EZ-Clip, and Kusiak Leather. I know that Kusiak only specifies holsters for the PM45. But if my tuckable holster is indeed standard, it would easily fit the larger CW45.